Woman Banned for Criticizing Bush's Legs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrs. Edge

Bono's Belly Dancing Friend
FREDERICKSBURG, Va. (AP) - A Borders Books & Music store has banned a Baltimore singer-songwriter from performing there after she made an unflattering comment about President Bush's physique during a concert at the store last week.

Julia Rose, who is also a fitness advocate, told the audience, ``George Bush has chicken legs. He needs to pump some iron.''

Rose said she has made the same comment at other Borders stores.

``In fact, the audience in Fredericksburg laughed when I said this,'' she told The Free Lance-Star newspaper. ``The reaction was nothing different than typical crowds I've had.''

Amy Korsun, area marketing manager for the Michigan-based bookstore chain, confirmed Wednesday that Rose has been banned from performing at the Fredericksburg store. She said Rose will be allowed to continue playing at other Borders stores in Virginia. She declined to say why Rose was banned from the Fredericksburg store.

Rose said she's mystified by the reaction.

``I never said anything about Bush being a bad president or anything,'' she said. ``I was just poking fun at his scrawny frame.''

Richard Humphreys, a resident of Portland Oregon, was sentenced to three years in jail after he made a joke about President Bush during Bush?s March 2001 trip to Sioux Falls. The joke included the line "I said God might speak to the world through a burning Bush," which was taken as meaning Humphreys wanted to douse Bush in flammable liquid and set him ablaze. A bartender overheard and immediately alerted the police to the activities of this dangerous terrorist. The actual arrest was obviously made before September 11 but the way that event changed the mindset of the American authorities no doubt contributed to the ridiculous three year prison term, which was handed out in June 2002. This story was originally reported by CNN, who mysteriously chose to remove the article from their website just a few weeks after its appearance.

Back
Top Bottom