Win A Britney Spears-style Wedding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ABEL

An Angel In Devil's Shoes
wtf??? this is sooo wrong on so many levels :tsk: i can't believe that this contest is even being allowed :angry: :mad:

Win A Wedding?
Brooke Erickson

Win a Wichita radio station contest and you can have a Vegas wedding just like Britney Spears. You'll go to Las Vegas, marry a DJ, then have your marriage annulled.

Some call the stunt harmless fun, others say it sends the wrong message.

Britney Spears made headlines when she married a hometown friend in Las Vegas, then had the marriage annulled two and a half days later.

Now radio station KKRD 107.3 has a contest promoting the same thing.
The winner will marry morning show personality "Kracker" in Sin City.

Kracker says, "We're going to Vegas to get hitched then get it annulled on Monday."

Listeners have already logged on to the station's website to pick the finalists. Five women have submitted their pictures and a letter explaining why they should win the trip to marry Kracker.

Kracker says, "They do dumb stuff in Vegas. You know the motto goes, 'What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas'."

This contest and Britney Spears drives Pastor Terry Fox crazy. He believes it sends the wrong message about marriage.

Like Britney, pulling crazy stunts is the radio station's job. Pastor Fox just hopes people don't tune out what marriage is all about.

Pastor Fox says, "Marriage is a miracle of two becoming one."

http://www.kake.com/news/headlines/577167.html

wow...sounds like a hoot...

it's all a joke now, anyway

I love how people will claim that homosexual marriage will ruin the sanctity of marriage. I think heterosexuals are doing a pretty damn good job themselves.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
I love how people will claim that homosexual marriage will ruin the sanctity of marriage. I think heterosexuals are doing a pretty damn good job themselves.

:applaud:

BonoVoxSupastar said:

:up: :applaud:

:applaud: bonovox. say what you want about gay civil unions but you have to admit this is just as sacriligious.

I would say this contest stems more from all those {{{{shudder}}}} reality shows. How many new shows actually involve paid actors, scripts, plots etc. All this stuff is just pandering to the lowest common denominator, a Jerry Springer Show kind of mentality. As long as this kind of stuff gets ratings, it will continue. I'm not really offended by it- I mean I certainly wouldn't take vows lightly like that, but I'm not really upset about it. Wouldn't waste my time tuning in either tho.

Moonlit_Angel said:

Because those marriages are between men and women, so they're still considered okay. :rolleyes:.

Angela

:confused:

i don't think they're ok either. marriage is supposed to be a sacred union between two people who love eachother, and want to spend the rest of their lives together. not some contest :tsk:

[sarcasm]

are you kidding? most marriages are a joke anyway. might as well make it a reality show joke!!!!! woohoo!!!!

[/sarcasm]

That's because it isn't about "defending marriage." It's about downright gay bashing from homophobic "Christian" denominations, and our "born-again" fanatic President trying to pander to this demographic on an election year.

Melon

BonoVoxSupastar said:

You are right. All of society is doing a wonderful job devaluing marriage.

ABEL said:
:confused:

i don't think they're ok either. marriage is supposed to be a sacred union between two people who love eachother, and want to spend the rest of their lives together. not some contest :tsk:

You are discounting other religions where they have arranged marriages.

This whole "sanctity of marriage" thing is all based on Christian ideals. I thought we were supposed to seperate church from state!?

Marrying for love is a fairly modern concept. In the Middle Ages, marriage was political and economic, and was arranged by the parents. The bride and groom had some say-so in the arrangement but there is documentation of a girl getting beaten by her parents for refusing to marry the parental choice from fifteenth century England. This was not uncommon. Conceptually marriage in medieval Europe was for procreation. But an idea came along late in the Middle Ages that it was also for companionship. Catholic writers like Christine de Pisan (who lost her husband, whom she loved dearly, at the age of 25) advocated this idea. The idea that marriage is for procreation is still around but so is the companionship concept. The "sanctity" of marriage is from the procreation idea. Those who accept the companionship notion are going to see it differently. They are going to look at it in secular terms, and it's none of my damn business what they want to do at home.

Back
Top Bottom