William Bennett Speaks "Hypothetically" About Crime - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-01-2005, 09:44 PM   #61
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:59 AM
I saw Bennett on the news last night at the hotel in the town I'd gone to for a Renaissance festival. I felt sick at his remarks. They are terrible, even Bush said he didn't like them.

Old 10-01-2005, 10:47 PM   #62
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:59 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

I can't believe you're even making light of a real disease.

a curable disease, if treated and managed correctly, if not some addicts harm others with their addictions.

One may want to examine the life of Ray Charles in overcoming addictions for a good example in overcoming and handling addictions, and he wasn't even an elected official, just a decent human being.

db9

Old 10-01-2005, 11:59 PM   #63
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:59 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by diamond

a curable disease
Once again you are wrong. There is no cure, just means of managing it.

Look I admire Bush for being able to quit, but he's still an addict and always will be an addict. And it's an incredibly dangerous situation to have an addict in the white house, it's not just the fear of him drinking again, it's how addicts cope and act even when they aren't drinking. They subsitute. But we're getting way off topic so I'll just leave it at that.
Old 10-02-2005, 01:44 AM   #64
Refugee

Local Time: 03:59 AM
this last post was the most pathetic thing i've read in a while.

i'm sorry you have no faith in people to recover.
Old 10-02-2005, 02:09 AM   #65
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by scottyT
this last post was the most pathetic thing i've read in a while.

i'm sorry you have no faith in people to recover.
Tell me are you an expert on addiction? The first thing they teach you in AA is that there is no such thing as an ex-addict, only a recovering addict.

I have absolute faith in people. I have a very close friend who this is what she does as a living, she has her Masters in dependency counseling. Most if not all experts would agree that having an addict no matter how long they've been clean that high up in office is dangerous.

I see that you are a therapist. What kind may I ask?
Old 10-02-2005, 03:47 AM   #66
ONE
love, blood, life

nevermind.

db9
Old 10-02-2005, 04:31 AM   #67
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by diamond
but bush proved himself, while clinton failed along w other leaders aforementioned and you seem to want to remain oblivious to that, thinking ppl who have changed like bush are still susetible to their urges, while gw seems to have demonstrated wonderful restraint, while ignoring the slime ball clinton was.

are we clear about that yet ?

thanks,

db9
You are muddling two entire different issues. One which is infedelity, which I don't approve of, but should have remained a private issue. And the other a true disease that affects the way one could run a country.

Are we clear on that, Diamond? Or are you still going to find some way to ignore the facts?

Yes I know Clinton's faults, just like I know JFK's and Bush's. I don't wear the partisan blinders that you do.
Old 10-02-2005, 10:09 AM   #68
Blue Crack Addict

If you don't mind me jumping into this, I think the whole issue of addicts in politics is really interesting. I am not sure I'd exclude addicts from the presidency. Yes, the presidency is a stressful job, to say the least. But I think it's possible for an addict who is very intelligent and understands his or her situation well enough to perform well in that office. It's not every day I agree with diamond in FYM. He voted for Bush, I voted for Kerry. But I have to agree that an addict, who has been through appropriate treatment and preparation programs, could conceivably get my support for the presidency.
Old 10-02-2005, 10:54 AM   #69
ONE
love, blood, life

kaching.

and my point on clinton is that he was/is a recovering sex addict/womanizer, it was far more than infidelity.

it seems that his heart attack and public scrutiny has made him keep his addictions under control, to say the very least, or hopefully is really in recovery.

..and i speak w/happiness for clinton because our seperate lives have had similar paths. Im lucky though that my life has been much less public than his.

db9
Old 10-02-2005, 11:09 AM   #70
Blue Crack Addict

Of course Clinton has problems. Everyone does. I voted for Clinton twice, and I'd do it again.
Old 10-02-2005, 01:18 PM   #71
Blue Crack Addict

Whether or not Bush drank at one point is kind of irrelevant to me - he's certainly shown himself to be incompetent enough while sober.
Old 10-02-2005, 02:23 PM   #72
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram
Whether or not Bush drank at one point is kind of irrelevant to me - he's certainly shown himself to be incompetent enough while sober.

And we could also reduce crime by aborting all of the white babies. Afterall, it was a white guy who mugged and beat me earlier this year.
Old 10-02-2005, 04:19 PM   #73
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
LOL .

Angela
Old 10-02-2005, 05:19 PM   #74
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
I don't give a damn that Bush drank. I don't like his policies or ideas or appointees or much else about him as President.
Old 10-02-2005, 07:53 PM   #75
Blue Crack Supplier

going back to the original topic ... i think Bennett shoots himself in his fat foot by first saying that he doesn't believe our abortion-crime hypothesis but then revealing that he does believe it with his comments about black babies. by reflexively relating race to an argument he says he rejects, then doesn't, there is the clear presence of racism in his remarks.

how would we feel if Bennett had said that if we wanted to put a dent into AIDS, we killed all homosexuals (or Africans). or that if we wanted to stop illegal immigration, we should invade and occupy mexico?