William Bennett Speaks "Hypothetically" About Crime - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-30-2005, 04:36 PM   #31
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:40 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by MaxFisher

Always a great approach....Tell people you disagree with that they're brainwashed.
No. I've listened to the man's show, even read a small portion of one of his books before I just put it down and I can't believe that conservatives fall for this shit. At least Rush is somewhat entertaining this man hides behind his pseudo intellect. I'm truly baffled that anyone respects this man.

Old 09-30-2005, 04:38 PM   #32
War Child

Local Time: 04:40 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
let's drop the outrage at the fact that powerful men have sex with younger women. let's drop the outrage that privileged white boys snort cocaine and drink too much. let's drop the outrage that fat radio hosts might be succeptible to myriad addictions.

let's drop outrage altogther. let's demand *ability*.

How then should we respond when our leaders or those in power commit adultery, do drugs, commit crimes, etc?
Just look the other way? If they are performing to their *ability* are they therefore above moral scrunity or discipline?

Old 09-30-2005, 04:41 PM   #33
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

No. I've listened to the man's show, even read a small portion of one of his books before I just put it down and I can't believe that conservatives fall for this shit. At least Rush is somewhat entertaining this man hides behind his pseudo intellect. I'm truly baffled that anyone respects this man.
Am I brainwashed because I agree with Bennett on a majority of issues?
Old 09-30-2005, 04:43 PM   #34
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

Am I brainwashed because I agree with Bennett on a majority of issues?
Let's just say I'm concerned.
Old 09-30-2005, 04:48 PM   #35
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
Let's just say I'm concerned.
You didn't answer the question.

BonoVox, I assume you are a democrat or at least lean left on many political and social issues. Your party is losing. It doesn't control the House, Senate, or White House.

Here's a bit of free advice. Don't call people who disagree with you names. These are the people you need to win over to start winning elections again. No one responds positively to being called "brainwashed".
Old 09-30-2005, 04:49 PM   #36
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:40 AM
Quote:

How then should we respond when our leaders or those in power commit adultery, do drugs, commit crimes, etc?
Just look the other way? If they are performing to their *ability* are they therefore above moral scrunity or discipline?

committing a crime, especially while in office, is one thing.

committing adultery? not a crime.

do you really think we're better off today than we were in, say, the 1960s when the press generally viewed JFK's various affairs as not worthy of public discourse? yes, i think if people are performing well then we shouldn't be concerned with moral -- please note, this is distinct from *criminal* -- scrutiny.

the only reason i care that, say, Newt Gingrich divorced his first wife while she was dying of cancer and then ran off with his former math teacher is because he ran on a platform in 1994 about "morals" and "decency" and other buzzwords that makes certain segments of the population swell in the chest and start waving their flags. it wasn't a criminal thing to do, it was just a rather shitty thing to do, but it has nothing to do with his abilities to govern and lead (which weren't terribly good to begin with). it matters, then, because it makes him a hipocrite.
Old 09-30-2005, 05:07 PM   #37
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
committing a crime, especially while in office, is one thing.

committing adultery? not a crime.

do you really think we're better off today than we were in, say, the 1960s when the press generally viewed JFK's various affairs as not worthy of public discourse? yes, i think if people are performing well then we shouldn't be concerned with moral -- please note, this is distinct from *criminal* -- scrutiny.

the only reason i care that, say, Newt Gingrich divorced his first wife while she was dying of cancer and then ran off with his former math teacher is because he ran on a platform in 1994 about "morals" and "decency" and other buzzwords that makes certain segments of the population swell in the chest and start waving their flags. it wasn't a criminal thing to do, it was just a rather shitty thing to do, but it has nothing to do with his abilities to govern and lead (which weren't terribly good to begin with). it matters, then, because it makes him a hipocrite.
Bingo. Couldn't agree more, Irvine .

Angela
Old 09-30-2005, 05:20 PM   #38
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
White House criticizes Bennett's remarks on blacks
Sep 30 2:47 PM US/Eastern

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The White House on Friday criticized as "not appropriate" a comment from former Education Secretary William Bennett that aborting black babies would reduce the crime rate.

Bennett, a conservative radio commentator, stirred outrage for saying on his talk show on Wednesday: "But I do know that it's true that if you wanted to reduce crime, you could, if that were your sole purpose, you could abort every black baby in this country and your crime rate would go down."

"That would be an impossibly ridiculous and morally reprehensible thing to do, but your crime rate would go down," he said on his call-in program "Morning in America."

"The president believes the comments were not appropriate," White House spokesman Scott McClellan said.

Bennett has held various senior roles in administrations of President Ronald Reagan and Bush's father, President George H.W. Bush. He is a former education secretary and head of U.S. drug policy.

Bennett, author of a book on morality called "The Book of Virtues," faced controversy two years ago when it was revealed that he lost millions because of a gambling habit.

Senate Democratic Leader Harry Reid of Nevada said he was "appalled" by Bennett's comments and said he hoped Republicans would condemn him.

Howard Dean, chairman of the Democratic National Committee, said the comments were "hateful, inflammatory" and asked whether they represented the values of the Republican party.

Republican National Committee Chairman Ken Mehlman, a former campaign adviser to Bush, has been trying to reach out to African Americans, who overwhelmingly vote Democratic.

On his radio program on Friday, Bennett said "I was putting forward a hypothetical proposition ... and then said about it, it was morally reprehensible to recommend abortion of an entire group of people."

"But this is what happens when you argue that the ends can justify the means.

His remark was in response to a caller who had suggested that the Social Security system's finances would be in a much better position if it were not for the 1973 legalization of abortion, because there would be more people paying into the system.

Civil rights activist Rev. Al Sharpton said on CNN that Bennett's comments were "blatantly racist."

"(He) stated as a fact that if you did this it would in fact lower the crime rate which clearly is him making blacks and crime synonymous," Sharpton said.

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2005/0...SPI068118.html
Old 09-30-2005, 05:30 PM   #39
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 09:40 AM
all of Irvine's comments (too many to quote)
Old 09-30-2005, 06:26 PM   #40
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

You didn't answer the question.
Actually I did, just not to your liking.

Quote:

BonoVox, I assume you are a democrat or at least lean left on many political and social issues. Your party is losing. It doesn't control the House, Senate, or White House.
I have no party, but yes a new crop of conservatives control the House, Senate, and White House and many of them scare me. I fear for the future of this country.

Quote:

Here's a bit of free advice. Don't call people who disagree with you names. These are the people you need to win over to start winning elections again. No one responds positively to being called "brainwashed".
I'm not running for office. I wasn't speaking of anyone specifically when I said brainwashed. If you took offense, my apologies.

I do not dislike the man because I have opposing views. If that were the case I'd dislike most of my family and friends. I dislike the man because he's poison. He's full of vile and hatred. He disguises it well, but it's there.
Old 09-30-2005, 07:27 PM   #41
Rock n' Roll Doggie

"as Bennett stated it, it is race that makes one more likely to commit crimes. that is a racist notion.

did he misspeak? probably. does this indicate a lack of awareness? yes."

One's race makes one more likely to commit a crime?

I don't think that is what Bennett was saying.
I agree with the member Ft Worth/?sorry
if i missed you s/n.

It's funny who is acussing who here of a lack of
awareness.

How about some reality?

-Children need a father and mother

-Children need a father and mother who
stick together

-Children need to be taught what is right and what is wrong

-Children need to be loved

-Children need stabilty in their lives

-And to know that people care for them

-People in their lives they can depend on for help

There's a lot of angry young people out there
and their condition does not have anything to with their skin color.
Old 09-30-2005, 08:28 PM   #42
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by the iron horse
How about some reality?

-Children need a father and mother

-Children need a father and mother who
stick together

-Children need to be taught what is right and what is wrong

-Children need to be loved

-Children need stabilty in their lives

-And to know that people care for them

-People in their lives they can depend on for help

is anyone in here disputing this? what does it have to do with the conversation?

while i would amend "a mother and a father" to "loving parents," i agree with pretty much everything else.
Old 09-30-2005, 08:41 PM   #43
Rock n' Roll Doggie

"is anyone in here disputing this? what does it have to do with the conversation?"

It has to do with everthing.

It is about us trying to get to the point of talking about us.

*us, not black, white, yellow, green, lime*

And a plea stop using all this racists crap that keeps dividing us.

I believe a lot of people are ready to get along and move on.
Old 09-30-2005, 11:52 PM   #44
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by the iron horse

I believe a lot of people are ready to get along and move on.
I really wish this were true..

and I agree with BVS, I fear for this country..
Old 10-01-2005, 12:17 AM   #45
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
do you really think we're better off today than we were in, say, the 1960s when the press generally viewed JFK's various affairs as not worthy of public discourse? .
President Kennedy was a security risk because of his behavior. That is a fact, and if his affairs with potential spys had been known, he would not have been elected. President Kennedy's medical problems alone, if they had been disclosed, would have made him unfit for office in my mind.

Good thing Bobby was there to run the show.