Will They Charter Buses??? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-15-2004, 08:57 AM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:28 AM
Will They Charter Buses???

Canadians open arms to Americans

Quote:
The Vancouver, British Columbia, immigration lawyer plans seminars in three U.S. cities -- Seattle, San Francisco and Los Angeles -- to tell Americans frustrated with Bush's re-election that the grass is greener north of the border.

And that's not just an allusion to Canada's lenient marijuana laws.

"We started last year getting a lot of calls from Americans dissatisfied with the way the country is going," Kischer says. "Then after the election, it's been crazy up here. The Canadian immigration Web site had 115,000 hits the day after the election -- from the U.S. alone. We usually only get 20,000 hits."
Hyperbole or is this how things should work??

Old 11-15-2004, 09:07 AM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:28 PM
There has been stuff all over the liberal blogs, etc, etc, that people have been preparing to leave and go to Canada if Bush got re-elected. Apparently the Canadians were ready for the avalanche on their web site, right after the elections they said they expected to get discontented Americans. The Canadian climate would be absolute murder on my health. If I think my arthritis kills me in the Sunbelt, it'd be so much worse in Canada. I'm not sure they anticipated the voume on their immigration web site, however. But it doesn't surprise me at all. An election this emotional doesn't happen without big time fallout--including leaving the country.

Old 11-15-2004, 09:13 AM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

I wonder how many left in 2000?

But my real question: is emigration the appropriate response?
Old 11-15-2004, 09:23 AM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 11:28 AM
in a nutshell: i think it's a tad overdramatic. if people want to move to canada because they think they could make a better life here, fine. but if they're wanting to leave just because they don't want to live in President Bush's US anymore... i think there are more productive ways to voice and act on their discontent.

what's the point of having free and fair elections if people are just going to turn around and say 'we don't like this result, we're leaving'? seems to undermine the whole point of having a democracy.
Old 11-15-2004, 09:24 AM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

For some people, yes, it's the appropriate response. This was the most emotionally charged election since 1968, and I understand the feelings that make people want a change in their political environment. For many Americans to the left of the electorate of the U.S. the frustration just got to be too much.
Old 11-15-2004, 09:27 AM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:28 AM
I'm still waiting for Alec Baldwin to leave...
Old 11-15-2004, 09:31 AM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 10:28 AM
it is overly dramatic. but then, so are many of the things they are running from.

as an aside, i work in a building shared with citizenship & immigration canada. the nature of some of the inquiries they are receiving is quite amusing.
Old 11-15-2004, 09:32 AM   #8
Blue Crack Distributor

Old 11-15-2004, 09:33 AM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
Old 11-15-2004, 10:00 AM   #10
Acrobat

If I'd move anywhere, it'd be to Europe...a better choice of climates and the euro is so much stronger than the dollar.
Old 11-15-2004, 10:41 AM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

Perhaps it is too dramatic. I know I'm not doing it. I'm not going to get busted for being to the left of most of my compatriots. I'm used to this situation. Sometimes it is really hard to be a liberal in this conservative place because some people just can't accept my views as reasonable. If I were going to leave the country, I'd move to Europe, probably Belgium.
Old 11-15-2004, 02:29 PM   #12
Blue Crack Supplier

oooh, i've lived in Belgium. great food, nice (but quiet) people, *terrible* weather. had a good time, was happy to come back to the US.

i do think most of the "i'm leaving the country!" talk is hyperbole, but not totally. my parents are sitting my younger brother and sister down at Thanksgiving so they can work out some sort of plan should a draft be re-instated over the next 4 years. this is a real concern for people with children -- both boys and girls -- between the ages of 18 and 25 (i'm 27, thankfully). you can bet my parents would move us all to Canada or Australia rather than face the possibility that a member of our family be killed in what we all view as an unjust, unnecessary war.
Old 11-15-2004, 02:31 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

I wouldn't go to canada because I'd be leaving American politics!!!! It's too much fun for me to leave no matter how bad it may seem.
Old 11-15-2004, 04:23 PM   #14
War Child

Bye bye!
Old 11-15-2004, 04:25 PM   #15
BAW
The Flower

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

i do think most of the "i'm leaving the country!" talk is hyperbole, but not totally. my parents are sitting my younger brother and sister down at Thanksgiving so they can work out some sort of plan should a draft be re-instated over the next 4 years. this is a real concern for people with children -- both boys and girls -- between the ages of 18 and 25 (i'm 27, thankfully). you can bet my parents would move us all to Canada or Australia rather than face the possibility that a member of our family be killed in what we all view as an unjust, unnecessary war.
My sons are 19 and 17 and we've had the same talk.