Will Los Angeles Change Its Name? - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-03-2004, 09:30 PM   #76
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:26 AM
I'm often disappointed at how education is treated at different grade levels. It's almost as if we teach romanticism in the early grades and the "truth" in college. Does that make any damn sense? I don't think so.

History should be blunt and unbiased, as much as possible, showing the good and the bad. I hate how history is almost as bad as any Hollywood film: with clear-cut "good" and "evil" people. But the reality is that all "good" people and all "evil" people are nuanced. The "truth" should tell us why some individuals are clearly wrong and some are clearly right.

Bah...but maybe I'm too logical...

Melon

Old 06-04-2004, 07:01 AM   #77
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by melon
I'm often disappointed at how education is treated at different grade levels. It's almost as if we teach romanticism in the early grades and the "truth" in college. Does that make any damn sense? I don't think so.
Hehe....I get in trouble for telling the truth...hehe

Old 06-04-2004, 10:32 AM   #78
Refugee

Local Time: 08:26 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon
I'm often disappointed at how education is treated at different grade levels. It's almost as if we teach romanticism in the early grades and the "truth" in college.
And people complain that a high school diploma doesn't qualify you for anything anymore. Gee, could it be because a high school diploma is getting more and more worthless?
Old 06-04-2004, 10:36 AM   #79
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:26 AM
OMG!!! Some *college* students from the U.S. didn't know the dates for the Civil War? That's really pathetic and downright dangerous. Thomas Jefferson, wise man that he was, knew democracy wouldn't work without education. How can we expect it to work in 2004 if people just dismiss history as some sort of useless "past"? That's the worst thing about ignorance of history-- uninformed choices in elections! An "informed" choice need not be in agreement with mine. It *does* need to be based on knowledge, not ignorance.
Old 06-04-2004, 11:11 AM   #80
Blue Crack Addict

I have always believed that a person should have to pass a minimum knowledge test before they could vote. We don't need ignorant uninformed people deciding elections (not that it matters anymore as bad as the candidates are) They used to have literacy tests but they were banned as discriminatory and were accused of stopping blacks from voting in the south like poll taxes. That may have been part of it and that's a shame.But I still think, regardless of a person's demographic category they should be informed and smart enough to know what's going on, and know the basic facts of history.
Old 06-04-2004, 11:28 AM   #81
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:26 AM
My mother remembers the voting officials using "educational standards" to register voters. Yes, it was discriminatory, but here's why: they only asked African-Americans the questions. She remembers standing behind some African Americans while standing in line registering to vote. She was really nervous when she heard the questions because she didn't know the answers. Then it was her turn and they didn't ask her any questions, they just let her register. To make it not discriminatory, either ask everyone the questions or don't ask them. They made one law for the African Americans and another one for the whites. That sucks, and it's now illegal. It should be.
Old 06-04-2004, 11:30 AM   #82
Blue Crack Addict

I think they should bring it back but make it a written test and make it equal for all.

I have heard that in the last elections people rounded up homeless drunks from the streets to go vote for their candidate (Gore) in exchange for cigarettes. Then we had those senile old folks in FL who didn't know how to punch a chad. There needs to be some accountability to a person's competance.
Old 06-04-2004, 11:31 AM   #83
Refugee

Local Time: 08:26 PM
Quote:
I have always believed that a person should have to pass a minimum knowledge test before they could vote.
As soon as you get that through Congress, I'll work on a similar bill that people should pass a minimum competence test before becoming parents.
Old 06-04-2004, 11:35 AM   #84
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 12:26 PM
or before running for office.

Seriously, I'm against a test because it's simply discriminating towards 'dumb' people (depending on the test). Whether we like it or not, being able to vote is a 'right' and there shouldn't be any thresholds.
Old 06-04-2004, 11:39 AM   #85
Blue Crack Addict

I think there should be, because if a person is so 'dumb' that they can't read the paper, discuss the issues or understand the implications of their choice for a candidate they should not be a factor in inflicting their ill advised vote on the rest of us who have to live with it.
Old 06-04-2004, 11:47 AM   #86
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:26 PM
But unfortunately that is not democracy, good governance should be performed by the wise and experienced however the right to elect the government rest on the shoulders of each and every citizen who is eligable no matter their background, views or intelligence.
Old 06-04-2004, 11:47 AM   #87
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 12:26 PM

Other people have to live with our choice too, no matter how informed we claim to be. If a person can't read the paper then they are dyslexic (sp?) or illiterate not dumb. And you can't objectively determine to what extend people should be able to discuss the issues or understand the implications.

I'll stop here because we're derailing the thread
Old 06-04-2004, 11:49 AM   #88
Blue Crack Addict

I still think some folks are too dumb to vote And I do call illiterate dumb. Learn to read, pass the test, vote.
Old 06-04-2004, 11:49 AM   #89
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 07:26 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by DrTeeth
or before running for office.

Seriously, I'm against a test because it's simply discriminating towards 'dumb' people (depending on the test). Whether we like it or not, being able to vote is a 'right' and there shouldn't be any thresholds.
Everyone has a right to say who they want to run their country, no matter if they even can read or if they are CEO of an oil company. An educated opinion doesn't necessarily equal a common-sensed opinion.

If the president's decisions didn't affect the 'dumb' people then I can see an issue.

but, unfortunately, his decisions affect everyone.
Old 06-04-2004, 11:51 AM   #90
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 07:26 AM
double post