Will CNN Feel The Heat??? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-30-2004, 04:10 PM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:15 PM
Will CNN Feel The Heat???

Bono did.

When CNN's Don Mischer wants something, you better give it to him:

Quote:
'Go balloons, go balloons! Go balloons! I don't see anything happening. Go balloons! Go balloons! Go balloons! Standby confetti. Keep coming, balloons. More balloons. Bring it- balloons, balloons, balloons! We want balloons, tons of them. Bring them down. Let them all come. No confetti. No confetti yet.

'No confetti. All right, go balloons, go balloons. We need more balloons. All balloons! All balloons! Keep going! Come on, guys, lets move it. Jesus! We need more balloons. I want all balloons to go, goddammit. Go confetti. Go confetti. More confetti. I want more balloons. What's happening to the balloons? We need more balloons.

'We need all of them coming down. Go balloons- balloons? What's happening balloons? There's not enough coming down! All balloons, what the hell! There's nothing falling! What the fuck are you guys doing up there? We want more balloons coming down, more balloons. More balloons. More balloons'...

Old 07-30-2004, 04:13 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 08:15 PM
I didn't happen to see this. Why was he going on about the ballons and confetti?

Old 07-30-2004, 04:19 PM   #3
BAW
The Flower

Apparently the news outlets were allowed to listen in on the production booth but were not supposed to broadcast any of it...for some reason CNN had an open mike going, along with Mischer's name and title up on the screen.

Oops!
Old 07-30-2004, 04:21 PM   #4
Refugee

I don't think the FCC rules apply to CNN because they don't use public airwaves. Same reason they can swear on HBO and FX.
Old 07-30-2004, 04:22 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by ylimeU2
I didn't happen to see this. Why was he going on about the ballons and confetti?
The standard closing to a convention is a balloon/confetti drop following the presidential candidate's speech. Makes a nice picture for television.

It didn't work last night.
Old 07-30-2004, 04:26 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 08:15 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Bono's American Wife
Apparently the news outlets were allowed to listen in on the production booth but were not supposed to broadcast any of it...for some reason CNN had an open mike going, along with Mischer's name and title up on the screen.

Oops!
Thanks. I had to get to bed early and up at 4 this morning. Haven't checked the news yet.

Does CNN have the same standards as public television? So many people have cable and access to cable nowadays that it doesn't seem to matter. How can it be assumed that just because it's on cable, no one will be offened? It doesn't bother me, but isn't that a bit of a double standard?
Old 07-30-2004, 05:53 PM   #7
you are what you is

Local Time: 01:15 AM
possible irony was not intented

Quote:
Originally posted by ThatGuy
I don't think the FCC rules apply to CNN because they don't use public airwaves. Same reason they can swear on HBO and FX.
if I was in charge I would change the constitution if necessary to right this wrong dammit
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 07-30-2004, 06:25 PM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:15 AM
I didn't know anything about the incident because at Kerry headquarters we watched someone else's coverage. I got home, and my mother was watching CNN, and Wolf Blitzer apologized for something. I had no idea what he was talking about until my mother told me. I daresay some viewers were offended. What a stupid screw-up.
Old 07-30-2004, 06:28 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

CNN didn't seem upset when other broadcasters felt the heat for "indecent" programming.
Old 07-30-2004, 06:37 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

Don't remember a lot of heat when W called a member of the press a "major league asshole" in an open mike.

Very Presidential
Old 07-30-2004, 06:38 PM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

Or Kerry's similar remarks regarding Republicans - if you want to go tit for tat on side issues.
Old 07-30-2004, 06:40 PM   #12
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:15 PM
I'm assuming CNN isn't covered by the FCC, but maybe they are...but what gets me is no one has done anything about sporting events, I've heard players and coaches caught on mic cussing all the time and these are on major networks on public TV. I think's it's very obvious that the FCC doesn't really care about cleaning up the airwaves, they are more concerned about getting rid of programming they don't like. Of course they may try and find a way to get CNN since it's not FOX news.
Old 07-30-2004, 06:41 PM   #13
Babyface

W is a "major league asshole"

Very .
Old 07-31-2004, 12:37 AM   #14
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:15 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by verte76
I didn't know anything about the incident because at Kerry headquarters we watched someone else's coverage. I got home, and my mother was watching CNN, and Wolf Blitzer apologized for something. I had no idea what he was talking about until my mother told me. I daresay some viewers were offended. What a stupid screw-up.

BAW and I simultaneously laughed our asses off!!!!!
Old 07-31-2004, 04:50 AM   #15
Refugee

'Go balloons, go balloons! Go balloons! I don't see anything happening. Go balloons! Go balloons! Go balloons! Standby confetti. Keep coming, balloons. More balloons. Bring it- balloons, balloons, balloons! We want balloons, tons of them. Bring them down. Let them all come. No confetti. No confetti yet.

'No confetti. All right, go balloons, go balloons. We need more balloons. All balloons! All balloons! Keep going! Come on, guys, lets move it. Jesus! We need more balloons. I want all balloons to go, goddammit. Go confetti. Go confetti. More confetti. I want more balloons. What's happening to the balloons? We need more balloons.

'We need all of them coming down. Go balloons- balloons? What's happening balloons? There's not enough coming down! All balloons, what the hell! There's nothing falling! What the fuck are you guys doing up there? We want more balloons coming down, more balloons. More balloons. More balloons'...

--------------------------------------------

I'm sorry but....

Sounds like a little kid (with a few added choice expletives) at a birthday party, balloons, balloon, we need balloons!!! Go balloons, go!

ROTFL!

News at 11, balloons failure to fall, cause anchorman to go nutters.