wife-beating should be done "lightly"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
like are the mormons allowed to drink decaffinated coffee..or is Jolt Cola about as wild as u guys can get?:sexywink:

is that like the 14th article of faith or something?

db9

Last edited:
Technically we're not supposed to drink coffee. Decaf is not looked on favorably in the states but I've met local church authorities that drank decaf in Chile.

In the 70s there was a "Cola War" in the church when some members believed Coke and other colas were just as bad as coffee. That was the extreme position because I enjoy the occasional Coke or Mtn Dew and have no guilty conscience.

I think most young Mormons enjoy themselves like anybody else, just without mind altering chemicals.

These were some quick replies.

Oh, and what you're referring to is the Word of Wisdom--a health code, if you will.

I am a little curious about The Book of Mormon. What is different about it in comparisan to the Old and New Testament?

I pulled this directly off mormon.org. I'd be happy to field any questions. You can call the church and get a free copy. Just so you know, they'll ask if the missionaries can personally deliver it (not that that is a bad thing, just so you're aware). However, they'll send it in the mail if you want. From an academic perspective I suppose it would be an interesting read, but Mark Twain called it "ether in print" in _Roughing It_. Again, its scripture and definitely doesn't read like literature. I suppose it would be like me reading the Qua'ran (sp?).

<<The Book of Mormon

The Book of Mormon is another witness that Jesus Christ really lived, that He was and is God’s Son. It contains the writings of ancient prophets. One of these, Lehi, lived in Jerusalem around 600 B.C. God commanded Lehi to lead a small group of people to the American continent. There they became a great civilization.

God continued to call prophets among these people. The Book of Mormon is a collection of the writings of their prophets and record keepers. It is named after Mormon, one of the last of these ancient prophets.

These prophets knew about Heavenly Father’s plan for His children and the mission of Jesus Christ. They recorded that Christ appeared, after His Resurrection, to the people in America, taught them His gospel, and formed His Church among them. The book contains the teachings of Jesus Christ, testifying of His Atonement and His love. It supports and verifies the Bible.

The Book of Mormon concludes with a great promise that those who read it and sincerely pray about it can know by the Holy Ghost that it is true (Moroni 10:4). >>

so like is the book of morman like one of lost books of the bible..
or like one of the dead sea scrolls or something?

db9

Man, I can't even believe I'm still up. I've got to be in peak form for the general sale.

I look at it as additional scripture that supports the Bible. Even though the first prophet was from Jerusalem, it's not an apochryphal book. Think of it as God sent prophets to both the Old World and the New World (although we're talking about 600 BC to 400 AD) and they basically received the same message about Christ. Obviously the Bible predates the BofM and the BofM postdates the Bible by a few hundred years.

That's the short answer. Maybe I ought to start a thread called "Ask the Mormon" since this thread was originally a response to an article on wife-beating.

Yeah I don't think it's fair to include these questions in a thread with "wife beating" in the title.

But thank you for the answers.

U2utah2U said:
Although the church's stance on homosexuality is conservative

[...]

believe firmly that gender and sexual orientation are inherent traits that were determined before our existence on earth

How do you reconcile these two beliefs? I assume by "conservative" you mean the same as other religious conservatives here - ie that homosexuality is sinful, wrong, etc. How do you reconcile this with believing sexual orientation is something which is predetermined and which an individual has no control over?

verte76 said:
This scares me. Are we being run by a small bunch of sectarian nuts? Mind you, I have nothing against Mormons or Muslims. But I don't want them deciding my morality for me, especially if some of them happen to think it's OK to beat up women.

No, and the main reason I can't read the Guardian anymore is that many of its writers project the attitudes and beliefs of a small number of wackos onto the entire United States.

Back
Top Bottom