Why will the republicans win in 2008?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreadsox

ONE love, blood, life
Thoughts?

I believe Iraq may have turned the corner and if this is true, it puts the Republicans on solid ground leaving the democrats with a candidate that is opposed to the war.

I can't see a Republican winning. :shrug: As I've stated before, they're similar in weaknesses to the Dems of '04.

Not the point of the thread. Do you have an issue, or see them winning and how.

Personnaly, I think Iraq may push McCain right up there.

U2democrat said:

Unless something drastically changes i think this could very well be true.

His ad that is currently running kicks ass.

It is not an attack ad. It is about him period, and about making unpopular decisions.

If I did not feel he had sold out to the right, I may very well be jumping on his bandwagon. But my heart says he has overpandered.

No I don't see any way they can win. The public doesn't care about Iraq anymore, which helps neither party at this point. The Republicans have no domestic issue that will push them over the top.

They only way I can see them winning is if there is another terrorist attack on mainland US before the election (heaven forbid) or the elections are fixed or they dig up some truly scandalous stuff on whoever the Dem candidate is. That's pretty much it.

Because I'll likely be voting for a democrat and my track record sucks.

U2democrat said:
There's a difference between pandering to say, southerners v. northerners and Jerry Falwell and the Bob Jones university...

I guess it causes me to question how badly he wants it. I loved the maverick and I hated what they did to him, his wife, and his child in 2000.

Now he has been kissing their asses. I do not have that in me, and I wonder what it takes to become that person. Maybe not understanding it causes me to distrust it.

They won't win because even if Iraq turns into Las Vegas overnight, their watch still fucked up the current housing situation and that will be more real to the American people over the next 10 months than Iraq.

I think the Republicans will win because I don't see any of the Democratic front runners being able to compete in the general election. We haven't even begun to see the kind of ugliness that's going to come out against say, Clinton, when the Republican campaign turns it full wrath against it's Dem opponent.

This says a lot more about my cynicism and perhaps arrogant view of the intellect of the American electorate (though to be frank, I have to hold up the last two presidential elections as Exhibit A and the continuing popularity of Bill O'Reilly and his ilk to justify such arrogance) than it does about the actual worth of the candidates.

I hope that I'm proved totally wrong. And I will joyfully eat my words.

As one of the minority Republicans here, I feel pretty confident about the GOP in 2008, for a number of reasons.

Iraq: As stated before, Iraq has improved drastically in the past year. The surge has been successful, and the deathtoll is at its lowest since the war began. This could and will help the Republicans, especially McCain and Giuliani. I noticed someone in the other thread say that the public doesnt care about Iraq, and that is nonsense. If anything, the public is not informed of the current status due to the lack of positive reporting by irresponsible media. The Bhutto assassination put the War on Terror on the front pages again. My dad said something the other day that I agree with. He said "That just goes to show that Al-Qaeda, if they really wanted to, could take out absolutely anybody." If most Americans have that mindset, I think that definetely benefits the Republicans.

Taxes: On this particular issue, I do not understand why every single person does not favor the GOP. I don't know much about economics, but I do know that I'm pretty sure most Americans want to keep as much money as possible. The Democrats want to end the tax cuts (which, by the way, EVERYONE gets- not just the rich), which will have the effect of a tax increase. Do Americans honestly want the government (particularly this irresponisble, spending-obsessed Congress) to have more of their hard earned money? Do Americans honestly think that they aren't paying the government enough? It baffles me. In shaky economic times, I don't think that can help.

The Clinton factor: I've said it before and I'll say it again. I hope Hillary is our opponent next year. I'm confident that the American people will, after studying her, want to get away from the Clinton machine. Hopefully they have enough sense to not allow Bill back in the White House. There was a poll out recently asking who people want to prevent from becoming president, and Hillary "won" with 40%. With a number like that, and unfavorable ratings at 50-some percent, I just cannot see how she can win.

The 2006 elections: I think the 2006 Democratic victories may be a blessing in disguise for the Republicans. I believe people will look at Congress and their complete lack of accomplishment and reject having more of the same. These people were elected with promises of change, and they have delivered zero. Suddenly Bush's approval rating doesn't seem so laughable when you look at Congress' hovering in the low teens at best.

So, basically, I'm not too worried at all right now. If McCain is the nominee :)Pray: ), I would say that the Republicans may even be the favorite. McCain beats Hillary in most polls I've seen, and would certainly attract more independents.

ETA: I think it would help if Ron Paul ran as a third-party, as he would take votes away from Hillary regarding the war. Sounds like he doesn't plan on it, but you never know.

Last edited:
2861U2 said:
As stated before, Iraq has improved drastically in the past year. The surge has been successful, and the deathtoll is at its lowest since the war began.

If anything, the public is not informed of the current status due to the lack of positive reporting by irresponsible media.

Hopefully they have enough sense to not allow Bill back in the White House.

I believe people will look at Congress and their complete lack of accomplishment and reject having more of the same.

These people were elected with promises of change, and they have delivered zero. Suddenly Bush's approval rating doesn't seem so laughable when you look at Congress' hovering in the low teens at best.

Everything remaining in this quote is irrelevant, wrong, or both:

Naturally things got better with a surge. There's more troops. But it's unsustainable. Plus, there's been no developments politically.

The reason the media isn't reporting on it is because there's been no real developments. Until something that can last is in place, what does it all mean?

Hilary isn't Bill.

For Congress: The reason their approval ratings are low are because they haven't been able to stop the GOP, mostly thanks to the remaining GOP congressmen and the President.

phillyfan26 said:

The reason the media isn't reporting on it is because there's been no real developments. Until something that can last is in place, what does it all mean?

How about the fact that violence is way down? The media seems so eager to share when things are grim, why not the same eagerness when things improve?

phillyfan26 said:

Hilary isn't Bill.

Did I say that? I said I think most Americans do not want Bill back in the White House.

phillyfan26 said:
For Congress: The reason their approval ratings are low are because they haven't been able to stop the GOP, mostly thanks to the remaining GOP congressmen and the President.

Nice try. If you run a campaign season on the promise of ending the war, you darn well better end the war. Don't try and pin the Democrats' total failures on the GOP. Reid and Pelosi are disgraces to the offices they hold.

2861U2 said:
How about the fact that violence is way down? The media seems so eager to share when things are grim, why not the same eagerness when things improve?

Did I say that? I said I think most Americans do not want Bill back in the White House.

Nice try. If you run a campaign season on the promise of ending the war, you darn well better end the war. Don't try and pin the Democrats' total failures on the GOP. Reid and Pelosi are disgraces to the offices they hold.

There was a discussion in a thread a week or two back about why violence is down. I'll try to find a link after I post this.

Well, I believed you to be implying that Hilary is just going to let Bill call the shots. I don't think anyone gives a shit if Bill's in the living space.

I do think Reid and Pelosi have done a poor job, but I certainly think it's more the fault of the GOP than anything.

ETA: Said link: http://forum.interference.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=4835137#post4835137

Last edited:
phillyfan26 said:

Well, I believed you to be implying that Hilary is just going to let Bill call the shots. I don't think anyone gives a shit if Bill's in the living space.

I would be astounded if Bill did not have some sort of influence on Hillary's policies (I mean moreso than the typical spouse's role). I fear that, as Rush says, people would be electing him to a third term without him being on the ballot.

Thanks for the link. :up:

Off-Topic: Quick question - Is it Hilary or Hillary? I have no idea.

I think Hilary and Bill agree on most issues anyway, but I think Hilary's the type of person who wants to be her own person. Certainly she'll have advisors and such, but I think she'd try to keep Bill out of it.

Really, though, it's all just speculation.

2861U2 said:
As one of the minority Republicans here, I feel pretty confident about the GOP in 2008, for a number of reasons.

Iraq: As stated before, Iraq has improved drastically in the past year. The surge has been successful, and the deathtoll is at its lowest since the war began. This could and will help the Republicans, especially McCain and Giuliani. I noticed someone in the other thread say that the public doesnt care about Iraq, and that is nonsense. If anything, the public is not informed of the current status due to the lack of positive reporting by irresponsible media. The Bhutto assassination put the War on Terror on the front pages again. My dad said something the other day that I agree with. He said "That just goes to show that Al-Qaeda, if they really wanted to, could take out absolutely anybody." If most Americans have that mindset, I think that definetely benefits the Republicans.

Taxes: On this particular issue, I do not understand why every single person does not favor the GOP. I don't know much about economics, but I do know that I'm pretty sure most Americans want to keep as much money as possible. The Democrats want to end the tax cuts (which, by the way, EVERYONE gets- not just the rich), which will have the effect of a tax increase. Do Americans honestly want the government (particularly this irresponisble, spending-obsessed Congress) to have more of their hard earned money? Do Americans honestly think that they aren't paying the government enough? It baffles me. In shaky economic times, I don't think that can help.

The Clinton factor: I've said it before and I'll say it again. I hope Hillary is our opponent next year. I'm confident that the American people will, after studying her, want to get away from the Clinton machine. Hopefully they have enough sense to not allow Bill back in the White House. There was a poll out recently asking who people want to prevent from becoming president, and Hillary "won" with 40%. With a number like that, and unfavorable ratings at 50-some percent, I just cannot see how she can win.

The 2006 elections: I think the 2006 Democratic victories may be a blessing in disguise for the Republicans. I believe people will look at Congress and their complete lack of accomplishment and reject having more of the same. These people were elected with promises of change, and they have delivered zero. Suddenly Bush's approval rating doesn't seem so laughable when you look at Congress' hovering in the low teens at best.

So, basically, I'm not too worried at all right now. If McCain is the nominee :)Pray: ), I would say that the Republicans may even be the favorite. McCain beats Hillary in most polls I've seen, and would certainly attract more independents.

ETA: I think it would help if Ron Paul ran as a third-party, as he would take votes away from Hillary regarding the war. Sounds like he doesn't plan on it, but you never know.

I disagree with virtually every one of these arguments, except in one regard. I think they will resonate with enough Americans that the Republicans will win the White House. You may disagree wtih his politics but 2861U2's analysis of the mood of many people in this country is spot on.

It's a real shame.

I don't think we're counting our eggs yet. But I think there are factors that hurt the Republicans:

1. The war.
2. Not too many people care two figs about income tax. Now if
they were running locally and making a promise on lowering
property tax, that would probably be a platform.
3. Other than possibly the Cubans, the Republicans can pretty
much wave bye-bye to the bulk of the Hispanic vote.
4. I suspect the evangelicals will vote Republican, but unless
you end up with Huckabee, I don't think you will have that
energized, organized drive of the past.

The Democrats have a problem because:

1. They have no freaking vision and no clear policy.
2. Since they caved over pretty much every Iraq War and War
on Terror vote, they are increasingly more responsible and
I don't think they can walk away from that. They became
enablers.
3. They will cannibalize each other.
4. They haven't learned that running against Bush isn't enough.

And yeah, I think McCain has a shot.

I thought of another reason why I think the GOP might win- the 2004 election. In the months leading up the election, Bush had about a 50% approval rating (better than today, but still not super great), and Iraq wasn't going as well as planned. Despite the negatives, Bush somehow still attracted and convinced America. I don't think Bush won just because Kerry was a bad candidate.

Actually, I distinctly remember being almost certain that we would lose, but I ended up being wrong. So if I ever get worried or frustrated this coming year, I'll think back to 2004 :wink:

Last edited:
2861U2 said:

Taxes: On this particular issue, I do not understand why every single person does not favor the GOP. I don't know much about economics, but I do know that I'm pretty sure most Americans want to keep as much money as possible.

do you like roads? schools? a military? programs that put kids in after school programs instead of running around the street in the afternoon? how about tunnels? bridges that don't collapse?

all of this is brought to you by your tax money.

if you don't want to pay taxes, fine, but just as creationist must give back his opposable thumbs, so must the anti-tax guy never drive on the interstate.

[q]So, basically, I'm not too worried at all right now. If McCain is the nominee :)Pray: ), I would say that the Republicans may even be the favorite. McCain beats Hillary in most polls I've seen, and would certainly attract more independents.[/q]

woah! i thought you were all about Rudy! then it was Thompson! then Huck! now McCain? even with his immigration stance? even with his distance from the Christian right? even with his "maverick" status? even though the base of the party hates him?

why the change of heart?

2861U2 said:

Iraq: As stated before, Iraq has improved drastically in the past year. The surge has been successful, and the deathtoll is at its lowest since the war began.
If the deathtoll wasn't at it's lowest after a surge and this long of a war, we would have THE worst failure known to mankind. So instead of having THE worst failure, we just have one of the biggest failures.

Seriously, if anyone looks at Iraq now as a voting point for the GOP should really have their head checked.

2861U2 said:

I agree. You don't know much about economics.

You're just falling for the fuzzy math that the GOP has been selling for years. Yet they love defecit spending.

Irvine511 said:

woah! i thought you were all about Rudy! then it was Thompson! then Huck! now McCain? even with his immigration stance? even with his distance from the Christian right? even with his "maverick" status? even though the base of the party hates him?

why the change of heart?

Well, first off, neither Thompson nor Huckabee have ever been my first choices. It's been Rudy up until now. Right now I'm torn between him and McCain. McCain definitely has the best chance of winning, and I'm not sure where you get that the base hates him. Also, on immigration, my brother told me that McCain "heard us loud and clear", so I'll take him at his word.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Seriously, if anyone looks at Iraq now as a voting point for the GOP should really have their head checked.

I can say the same thing about the Democrats. They have absolutely no credibility regarding the war. This is the party that brought us....

"As far as setting a timeline, that's not a wise decision because it only empowers those who don't want us there." -Harry Reid

"A deadline for pulling out will only encourage our enemies to wait us out. It would be a Lebanon 1985, and God only knows where it goes from there." - Joe Biden

"I don't believe it's smart to set a date for withdrawal. I don't think you should ever telegraph your intentions to the enemy so they can await you." -Hillary Clinton

"A hard, fast, arbitrary deadline for withdrawal offers our commanders in the field and our diplomats in the region insufficient flexibility to implement that strategy." -Barack Obama

If I'm the Republican nominee, I'm milking these quotes for all they're worth.

Back
Top Bottom