Why will the republicans win in 2008? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-30-2007, 01:06 AM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
2861U2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: watching the Cubs
Posts: 4,255
Local Time: 11:23 PM
As one of the minority Republicans here, I feel pretty confident about the GOP in 2008, for a number of reasons.

Iraq: As stated before, Iraq has improved drastically in the past year. The surge has been successful, and the deathtoll is at its lowest since the war began. This could and will help the Republicans, especially McCain and Giuliani. I noticed someone in the other thread say that the public doesnt care about Iraq, and that is nonsense. If anything, the public is not informed of the current status due to the lack of positive reporting by irresponsible media. The Bhutto assassination put the War on Terror on the front pages again. My dad said something the other day that I agree with. He said "That just goes to show that Al-Qaeda, if they really wanted to, could take out absolutely anybody." If most Americans have that mindset, I think that definetely benefits the Republicans.

Taxes: On this particular issue, I do not understand why every single person does not favor the GOP. I don't know much about economics, but I do know that I'm pretty sure most Americans want to keep as much money as possible. The Democrats want to end the tax cuts (which, by the way, EVERYONE gets- not just the rich), which will have the effect of a tax increase. Do Americans honestly want the government (particularly this irresponisble, spending-obsessed Congress) to have more of their hard earned money? Do Americans honestly think that they aren't paying the government enough? It baffles me. In shaky economic times, I don't think that can help.

The Clinton factor: I've said it before and I'll say it again. I hope Hillary is our opponent next year. I'm confident that the American people will, after studying her, want to get away from the Clinton machine. Hopefully they have enough sense to not allow Bill back in the White House. There was a poll out recently asking who people want to prevent from becoming president, and Hillary "won" with 40%. With a number like that, and unfavorable ratings at 50-some percent, I just cannot see how she can win.

The 2006 elections: I think the 2006 Democratic victories may be a blessing in disguise for the Republicans. I believe people will look at Congress and their complete lack of accomplishment and reject having more of the same. These people were elected with promises of change, and they have delivered zero. Suddenly Bush's approval rating doesn't seem so laughable when you look at Congress' hovering in the low teens at best.

So, basically, I'm not too worried at all right now. If McCain is the nominee (:Pray: ), I would say that the Republicans may even be the favorite. McCain beats Hillary in most polls I've seen, and would certainly attract more independents.

ETA: I think it would help if Ron Paul ran as a third-party, as he would take votes away from Hillary regarding the war. Sounds like he doesn't plan on it, but you never know.
__________________

__________________
2861U2 is offline  
Old 12-30-2007, 01:17 AM   #17
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 30,343
Local Time: 11:23 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by 2861U2
As stated before, Iraq has improved drastically in the past year. The surge has been successful, and the deathtoll is at its lowest since the war began.

If anything, the public is not informed of the current status due to the lack of positive reporting by irresponsible media.

Hopefully they have enough sense to not allow Bill back in the White House.

I believe people will look at Congress and their complete lack of accomplishment and reject having more of the same.

These people were elected with promises of change, and they have delivered zero. Suddenly Bush's approval rating doesn't seem so laughable when you look at Congress' hovering in the low teens at best.
Everything remaining in this quote is irrelevant, wrong, or both:

Naturally things got better with a surge. There's more troops. But it's unsustainable. Plus, there's been no developments politically.

The reason the media isn't reporting on it is because there's been no real developments. Until something that can last is in place, what does it all mean?

Hilary isn't Bill.

For Congress: The reason their approval ratings are low are because they haven't been able to stop the GOP, mostly thanks to the remaining GOP congressmen and the President.
__________________

__________________
phillyfan26 is offline  
Old 12-30-2007, 01:24 AM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
2861U2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: watching the Cubs
Posts: 4,255
Local Time: 11:23 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26



The reason the media isn't reporting on it is because there's been no real developments. Until something that can last is in place, what does it all mean?
How about the fact that violence is way down? The media seems so eager to share when things are grim, why not the same eagerness when things improve?

Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26

Hilary isn't Bill.
Did I say that? I said I think most Americans do not want Bill back in the White House.

Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26
For Congress: The reason their approval ratings are low are because they haven't been able to stop the GOP, mostly thanks to the remaining GOP congressmen and the President.
Nice try. If you run a campaign season on the promise of ending the war, you darn well better end the war. Don't try and pin the Democrats' total failures on the GOP. Reid and Pelosi are disgraces to the offices they hold.
__________________
2861U2 is offline  
Old 12-30-2007, 01:29 AM   #19
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 30,343
Local Time: 11:23 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by 2861U2
How about the fact that violence is way down? The media seems so eager to share when things are grim, why not the same eagerness when things improve?

Did I say that? I said I think most Americans do not want Bill back in the White House.

Nice try. If you run a campaign season on the promise of ending the war, you darn well better end the war. Don't try and pin the Democrats' total failures on the GOP. Reid and Pelosi are disgraces to the offices they hold.
There was a discussion in a thread a week or two back about why violence is down. I'll try to find a link after I post this.

Well, I believed you to be implying that Hilary is just going to let Bill call the shots. I don't think anyone gives a shit if Bill's in the living space.

I do think Reid and Pelosi have done a poor job, but I certainly think it's more the fault of the GOP than anything.

ETA: Said link: http://forum.interference.com/showth...37#post4835137
__________________
phillyfan26 is offline  
Old 12-30-2007, 01:35 AM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
2861U2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: watching the Cubs
Posts: 4,255
Local Time: 11:23 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26




Well, I believed you to be implying that Hilary is just going to let Bill call the shots. I don't think anyone gives a shit if Bill's in the living space.

I would be astounded if Bill did not have some sort of influence on Hillary's policies (I mean moreso than the typical spouse's role). I fear that, as Rush says, people would be electing him to a third term without him being on the ballot.

Thanks for the link.
__________________
2861U2 is offline  
Old 12-30-2007, 01:41 AM   #21
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 30,343
Local Time: 11:23 PM
Off-Topic: Quick question - Is it Hilary or Hillary? I have no idea.

I think Hilary and Bill agree on most issues anyway, but I think Hilary's the type of person who wants to be her own person. Certainly she'll have advisors and such, but I think she'd try to keep Bill out of it.

Really, though, it's all just speculation.
__________________
phillyfan26 is offline  
Old 12-30-2007, 02:04 AM   #22
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Canadiens1131's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 10,363
Local Time: 12:23 AM
The Republicans will win if Clinton gets the Democratic nomination.
__________________
Canadiens1131 is offline  
Old 12-30-2007, 10:03 AM   #23
Blue Crack Addict
 
U2democrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: England by way of 'Murica.
Posts: 22,140
Local Time: 04:23 AM
^Unfortunately I believe that is true.

I'm not so optimistic about the Democrats chances this year.
__________________
U2democrat is offline  
Old 12-30-2007, 10:10 AM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
maycocksean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: The Most Important State in the Union
Posts: 4,882
Local Time: 11:23 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by 2861U2
As one of the minority Republicans here, I feel pretty confident about the GOP in 2008, for a number of reasons.

Iraq: As stated before, Iraq has improved drastically in the past year. The surge has been successful, and the deathtoll is at its lowest since the war began. This could and will help the Republicans, especially McCain and Giuliani. I noticed someone in the other thread say that the public doesnt care about Iraq, and that is nonsense. If anything, the public is not informed of the current status due to the lack of positive reporting by irresponsible media. The Bhutto assassination put the War on Terror on the front pages again. My dad said something the other day that I agree with. He said "That just goes to show that Al-Qaeda, if they really wanted to, could take out absolutely anybody." If most Americans have that mindset, I think that definetely benefits the Republicans.

Taxes: On this particular issue, I do not understand why every single person does not favor the GOP. I don't know much about economics, but I do know that I'm pretty sure most Americans want to keep as much money as possible. The Democrats want to end the tax cuts (which, by the way, EVERYONE gets- not just the rich), which will have the effect of a tax increase. Do Americans honestly want the government (particularly this irresponisble, spending-obsessed Congress) to have more of their hard earned money? Do Americans honestly think that they aren't paying the government enough? It baffles me. In shaky economic times, I don't think that can help.

The Clinton factor: I've said it before and I'll say it again. I hope Hillary is our opponent next year. I'm confident that the American people will, after studying her, want to get away from the Clinton machine. Hopefully they have enough sense to not allow Bill back in the White House. There was a poll out recently asking who people want to prevent from becoming president, and Hillary "won" with 40%. With a number like that, and unfavorable ratings at 50-some percent, I just cannot see how she can win.

The 2006 elections: I think the 2006 Democratic victories may be a blessing in disguise for the Republicans. I believe people will look at Congress and their complete lack of accomplishment and reject having more of the same. These people were elected with promises of change, and they have delivered zero. Suddenly Bush's approval rating doesn't seem so laughable when you look at Congress' hovering in the low teens at best.

So, basically, I'm not too worried at all right now. If McCain is the nominee (:Pray: ), I would say that the Republicans may even be the favorite. McCain beats Hillary in most polls I've seen, and would certainly attract more independents.

ETA: I think it would help if Ron Paul ran as a third-party, as he would take votes away from Hillary regarding the war. Sounds like he doesn't plan on it, but you never know.
I disagree with virtually every one of these arguments, except in one regard. I think they will resonate with enough Americans that the Republicans will win the White House. You may disagree wtih his politics but 2861U2's analysis of the mood of many people in this country is spot on.

It's a real shame.
__________________
maycocksean is offline  
Old 12-30-2007, 10:14 AM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
BonosSaint's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 3,566
Local Time: 12:23 AM
I don't think we're counting our eggs yet. But I think there are factors that hurt the Republicans:

1. The war.
2. Not too many people care two figs about income tax. Now if
they were running locally and making a promise on lowering
property tax, that would probably be a platform.
3. Other than possibly the Cubans, the Republicans can pretty
much wave bye-bye to the bulk of the Hispanic vote.
4. I suspect the evangelicals will vote Republican, but unless
you end up with Huckabee, I don't think you will have that
energized, organized drive of the past.

The Democrats have a problem because:

1. They have no freaking vision and no clear policy.
2. Since they caved over pretty much every Iraq War and War
on Terror vote, they are increasingly more responsible and
I don't think they can walk away from that. They became
enablers.
3. They will cannibalize each other.
4. They haven't learned that running against Bush isn't enough.

And yeah, I think McCain has a shot.
__________________
BonosSaint is offline  
Old 12-30-2007, 12:22 PM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
2861U2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: watching the Cubs
Posts: 4,255
Local Time: 11:23 PM
I thought of another reason why I think the GOP might win- the 2004 election. In the months leading up the election, Bush had about a 50% approval rating (better than today, but still not super great), and Iraq wasn't going as well as planned. Despite the negatives, Bush somehow still attracted and convinced America. I don't think Bush won just because Kerry was a bad candidate.

Actually, I distinctly remember being almost certain that we would lose, but I ended up being wrong. So if I ever get worried or frustrated this coming year, I'll think back to 2004
__________________
2861U2 is offline  
Old 12-30-2007, 12:54 PM   #27
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,496
Local Time: 11:23 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by 2861U2
[B]

Taxes: On this particular issue, I do not understand why every single person does not favor the GOP. I don't know much about economics, but I do know that I'm pretty sure most Americans want to keep as much money as possible.

do you like roads? schools? a military? programs that put kids in after school programs instead of running around the street in the afternoon? how about tunnels? bridges that don't collapse?

all of this is brought to you by your tax money.

if you don't want to pay taxes, fine, but just as creationist must give back his opposable thumbs, so must the anti-tax guy never drive on the interstate.




[q]So, basically, I'm not too worried at all right now. If McCain is the nominee (:Pray: ), I would say that the Republicans may even be the favorite. McCain beats Hillary in most polls I've seen, and would certainly attract more independents.[/q]

woah! i thought you were all about Rudy! then it was Thompson! then Huck! now McCain? even with his immigration stance? even with his distance from the Christian right? even with his "maverick" status? even though the base of the party hates him?

why the change of heart?
__________________
Irvine511 is online now  
Old 12-30-2007, 01:06 PM   #28
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,693
Local Time: 10:23 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by 2861U2

Iraq: As stated before, Iraq has improved drastically in the past year. The surge has been successful, and the deathtoll is at its lowest since the war began.
If the deathtoll wasn't at it's lowest after a surge and this long of a war, we would have THE worst failure known to mankind. So instead of having THE worst failure, we just have one of the biggest failures.

Seriously, if anyone looks at Iraq now as a voting point for the GOP should really have their head checked.

Quote:
Originally posted by 2861U2

Taxes: On this particular issue, I do not understand why every single person does not favor the GOP. I don't know much about economics, but I do know that I'm pretty sure most Americans want to keep as much money as possible. The Democrats want to end the tax cuts (which, by the way, EVERYONE gets- not just the rich), which will have the effect of a tax increase. Do Americans honestly want the government (particularly this irresponisble, spending-obsessed Congress) to have more of their hard earned money? Do Americans honestly think that they aren't paying the government enough? It baffles me. In shaky economic times, I don't think that can help.

I agree. You don't know much about economics.

You're just falling for the fuzzy math that the GOP has been selling for years. Yet they love defecit spending.
__________________
BVS is offline  
Old 12-30-2007, 01:38 PM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
2861U2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: watching the Cubs
Posts: 4,255
Local Time: 11:23 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511


woah! i thought you were all about Rudy! then it was Thompson! then Huck! now McCain? even with his immigration stance? even with his distance from the Christian right? even with his "maverick" status? even though the base of the party hates him?

why the change of heart?
Well, first off, neither Thompson nor Huckabee have ever been my first choices. It's been Rudy up until now. Right now I'm torn between him and McCain. McCain definitely has the best chance of winning, and I'm not sure where you get that the base hates him. Also, on immigration, my brother told me that McCain "heard us loud and clear", so I'll take him at his word.
__________________
2861U2 is offline  
Old 12-30-2007, 01:53 PM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
2861U2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: watching the Cubs
Posts: 4,255
Local Time: 11:23 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar


Seriously, if anyone looks at Iraq now as a voting point for the GOP should really have their head checked.
I can say the same thing about the Democrats. They have absolutely no credibility regarding the war. This is the party that brought us....

"As far as setting a timeline, that's not a wise decision because it only empowers those who don't want us there." -Harry Reid

"A deadline for pulling out will only encourage our enemies to wait us out. It would be a Lebanon 1985, and God only knows where it goes from there." - Joe Biden

"I don't believe it's smart to set a date for withdrawal. I don't think you should ever telegraph your intentions to the enemy so they can await you." -Hillary Clinton

"A hard, fast, arbitrary deadline for withdrawal offers our commanders in the field and our diplomats in the region insufficient flexibility to implement that strategy." -Barack Obama

If I'm the Republican nominee, I'm milking these quotes for all they're worth.
__________________

__________________
2861U2 is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com