Why will the Democrats win in 2008? - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-30-2007, 03:01 PM   #31
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:45 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by anitram
I meant more that it is no longer the driving issue the way it was in the 2006 elections - nothing to do with not caring about say, the troops in the field. Although if we're being honest I think there is a very large apathetic portion of the population which frankly gives the troops pretty much zero thought.

At this point, the fatalities are down, but I don't think the war is being won politically at all. It's like slapping on a band aid. The public cares about secondary things related to the war - ie. the budget, spending, and so on, not the day to day happenings, they way they did before the last midterms.
I tend to agree with you. I am pretty immersed in the political climate where I live and it's a pretty left-leaning one at that. The conversations I'm hearing are much more centered around the US economy than the war. It doesn't mean there isn't still a big concern for the Iraq situation but the imminent recession seems to be the major concern as we head into the new year.

Old 12-30-2007, 06:45 PM   #32
War Child

Local Time: 04:45 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by 2861U2

But I'm also confident that most of Rush's audience are not racists.
You think?

Old 12-30-2007, 07:49 PM   #33
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 11:45 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by najeena

You think?
Yeah, I really do. If you think otherwise, please provide evidence to why you think Rush listener = racist.
Old 12-30-2007, 08:19 PM   #34
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:45 PM
I would say a rather sizely portion are racists. The kind that would never make it obvious, but hide some very racists attitudes.

My reasoning? Based on the majority of Rush listeners I know in real life and based on the fact that the man has said some extremely racist comments in the past and they've always been supported by his listeners.

We have an old thread on it.
Old 12-30-2007, 09:00 PM   #35
Blue Crack Supplier

to answer the question ... i think if Obama is the nominee, he will win in a landslide against any Republican.

if it's Hillary, she can win against anybody but McCain. she could still win against him, but it would be a nailbiter, i think.

Edwards would beat all the Republicans except for McCain.
Old 12-30-2007, 09:23 PM   #36
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
I would say a rather sizely portion are racists. The kind that would never make it obvious, but hide some very racists attitudes.

My reasoning? Based on the majority of Rush listeners I know in real life and based on the fact that the man has said some extremely racist comments in the past and they've always been supported by his listeners.

We have an old thread on it.

Well, in that case, I have sufficient evidence to claim that Keith Olbermann and his viewers support terrorism.

But I don't want to get off-topic.
Old 12-30-2007, 09:39 PM   #37
Blue Crack Supplier

you should ask Rush about black quarterbacks.
Old 12-30-2007, 09:47 PM   #38
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Ahhh yes, the one statement that comes up over and over again that, actually, is in no way racist or insensitive.

What else ya got?
Old 12-30-2007, 09:51 PM   #39
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Ahhh yes, the one statement that comes up over and over again that, actually, is in no way racist or insensitive.

What else ya got?

because you say it isn't something, then it is so?

i am fully willing to argue that more conservatives are racists -- there was a little thing called the Southern Strategy, and race has been used time and time again by the Republicans -- everything from "welfare queens" to Willie Horton to Jessie Helms and affirmative action to the Harold Ford Junior-likes-to-fuck-white-women ad from 2006 to the "is Obama a Mulslim?" -- and it seems to win them election after election.

what i do like about conservatives is that many openly admit to being racist. as opposed to those on the left end of the spectrum who hide behind feel good language.

but racism is racism.
Old 12-30-2007, 10:03 PM   #40
ONE
love, blood, life

these two threads started nicely.
Old 12-30-2007, 10:10 PM   #41
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
these two threads started nicely.
Don't worry. Back on topic. No more Limbaugh discussion from me.
Old 12-30-2007, 10:13 PM   #42
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:45 AM
Quote:
Well, in that case, I have sufficient evidence to claim that Keith Olbermann and his viewers support terrorism.
Come on, young neo-con. Show us your enlistment papers without delay. If you can't prove to us that you've enlisted, you must be a terrorist.
Old 12-30-2007, 10:15 PM   #43
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy

If you can't prove to us that you've enlisted, you must be a terrorist.
Really? Why?
Old 12-30-2007, 10:18 PM   #44
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:45 AM
Quote:

Really? Why?
Because you implied that Olberman listeners are terrorists.

If you can't prove that you've enlisted, you yourself must be one.

(See how it works?)
Old 12-30-2007, 10:20 PM   #45
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:45 PM
Quote:

What else ya got?

Quote:
"As a young broadcaster in the 1970s, Limbaugh once told a black caller: 'Take that bone out of your nose and call me back.' "

In the early 1990s, "after becoming nationally syndicated, he mused on the air: 'Have you ever noticed how all composite pictures of wanted criminals resemble Jesse Jackson?' "

"[w]hen Carol Moseley-Braun (D-IL) was in the U.S. Senate, the first black woman ever elected to that body, Limbaugh would play the 'Movin' On Up' theme song from TV's 'Jeffersons' when he mentioned her.
Limbaugh sometimes still uses mock dialect -- substituting 'ax' for 'ask'-- when discussing black leaders."

"[i]n 1992, on his now-defunct TV show, Limbaugh expressed his ire when Spike Lee urged that black schoolchildren get off from school to see his film Malcolm X: 'Spike, if you're going to do that, let's complete the education experience. You should tell them that they should loot the theater, and then blow it up on their way out.' "

on the August 23, 2006, broadcast of his radio program, Limbaugh commented on a season of CBS' reality TV program Survivor in which contestants were originally divided into competing "tribes" by ethnicity. Limbaugh stated that the contest was "not going to be fair if there's a lot of water events" and suggested that "blacks can't swim."
Limbaugh stated that "our early money" is on "the Hispanic tribe" -- which he said could include "a Cuban," "a Nicaraguan," or "a Mexican or two" -- provided they don't "start fighting for supremacy amongst themselves." Limbaugh added that Hispanics have "probably shown the most survival tactics," that they "have shown a remarkable ability to cross borders," and that they can "do it without water for a long time, they don't get apprehended, and they will do things other people won't do."
When the Survivor producers decided to dissolve the show's racially segregated "tribes" after only two episodes, Limbaugh declared that "[t]here can only be one reason for this. ... [T]hat is the white tribe had to be winning."