Why will the Democrats win in 2008? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-29-2007, 11:16 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:58 PM
Voter turnout was low before and during the Iraq war. In your original post, you said that the public have moved on from the war. I'm saying they have not. The low voter turnout is an overall lack of faith in politics/politicians for many reasons. Not because the public has "has moved on from the war" or due to any one single issue.

Also you say that you don't think the majority of people think about Iraq on a daily basis, and I still disagree. I invite you to watch a local news network. Over here in DC we have NBC4: http://www.nbc4.com/ Even now when you click on the link you'll see a handful of related Iraq stories. Every day there is something about it covered. It really is everywhere here.

Anyway, sorry to derail your thread, Dread. I'll go back to my little corner now

Old 12-30-2007, 12:19 AM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie

They will win because Barack Obama is the man.

Old 12-30-2007, 12:48 AM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Actually, not only will they win because of Obama's sheer awesomeness, but Ron Paul will run as an independent, taking away a good chunck of the Republican vote.
Old 12-30-2007, 01:03 AM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by coemgen
They will win because Barack Obama is the man.
Do you really think he'll be able to wrest the nomination from Hillary? She's a pretty formidable force and I really don't see her withering any time soon.

We'll see what happens in Iowa Thursday though. . .
Old 12-30-2007, 01:06 AM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Yes, I do.
Old 12-30-2007, 01:09 AM   #21
The Fly

Local Time: 03:58 AM
Exchange students can't vote because they aren't U.S. citizens.
Old 12-30-2007, 01:16 AM   #22
The Fly

I hope that its not Hilary I won't campaign for her.
Unico where do you get your information about low voter turn out? According to the U.S. census bureau in 2004 sixty-four percent of U.S. citizens age 18 and over voted in the 2004 presidential election. It would have been more had the Republicans not pulled their dirty tricks such as voter caging, which is illegal.
Old 12-30-2007, 01:18 AM   #23
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by watergate
Exchange students can't vote because they aren't U.S. citizens.
I think these were US students in Canada.
Old 12-30-2007, 07:00 AM   #24
War Child

Local Time: 08:58 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by maycocksean

Do you really think he'll be able to wrest the nomination from Hillary? She's a pretty formidable force and I really don't see her withering any time soon.

We'll see what happens in Iowa Thursday though. . .
He has to win Iowa and New Hampshire to generate enough buzz to overcome Hillary elsewhere. It'll be tight but possible.

But if he's the nominee, he will be the next President. Here's why.

3. Party Enthusiasm. He'll get democrats out in record numbers. Young voters and black voters will turn out like they never have before.

2. Bipartisan Appeal. He'll draw a substantial majority of independent voters. Independents voted 65% for dems in the 2006 midterms. Unlike Hillary, he'll be able to at least hold that number. There are even republicans who will vote for Obama. You can't say that about Hillary.

1. GOP Indifference. Unlike Hillary, Obama won't inspire an aggressive GOP/evangelical campaign against him. The midterms showed that a lot of GOP voters are disappointed and disillusioned right now. More than is typical will just stay home...that is, unless Hillary's the nominee.
Old 12-30-2007, 08:48 AM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

They will win because people are fed up with Bush and company. The question is, if Hillary gets the nomination, will people vote for a woman? If Obama gets the nomination, will people get over their prejudices?
Old 12-30-2007, 09:34 AM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by watergate
It would have been more had the Republicans not pulled their dirty tricks such as voter caging, which is illegal.
You know what else is illegal? Folks from the Kerry/Edwards campaign going around slashing people's tires.
Old 12-30-2007, 10:17 AM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by LPU2

He has to win Iowa and New Hampshire to generate enough buzz to overcome Hillary elsewhere. It'll be tight but possible.

But if he's the nominee, he will be the next President. Here's why.

3. Party Enthusiasm. He'll get democrats out in record numbers. Young voters and black voters will turn out like they never have before.

2. Bipartisan Appeal. He'll draw a substantial majority of independent voters. Independents voted 65% for dems in the 2006 midterms. Unlike Hillary, he'll be able to at least hold that number. There are even republicans who will vote for Obama. You can't say that about Hillary.

1. GOP Indifference. Unlike Hillary, Obama won't inspire an aggressive GOP/evangelical campaign against him. The midterms showed that a lot of GOP voters are disappointed and disillusioned right now. More than is typical will just stay home...that is, unless Hillary's the nominee.
I hope you're right. I think Hillary Clinton would do a great job as president, but I don't want her to get the nomination because, as I've already stated, I don't think she can win. There is a very strong undercurrent of dislike for Hillary Clinton in this country (see 2861U2's comments on her for an example of what I mean) and the Republicans will milk that for all it's worth. I like Obama, but even he will have an uphill battle. I disagree that the Republicans won't turn their venom on him if he's nominated. They will, and I fully expect that we will see highly sophisticated attacks that will play upon the latent racist fears of the Rush crowd.
Old 12-30-2007, 12:11 PM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by maycocksean

They will, and I fully expect that we will see highly sophisticated attacks that will play upon the latent racist fears of the Rush crowd.
I would be careful here. I don't think most of the "Rush crowd" are racists. I don't like Obama for a number of reasons, but the color of his skin has absolutely nothing to do with it.
Old 12-30-2007, 12:52 PM   #29
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 09:58 PM
Are you denying that there are people who would never vote for him because he's black?
Old 12-30-2007, 01:32 PM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Diemen
Are you denying that there are people who would never vote for him because he's black?
No, not at all. I'm sure there are. But I'm also confident that most of Rush's audience are not racists.