Why will the Democrats win in 2008? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-29-2007, 11:16 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict
 
unico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Rage Ave.
Posts: 18,747
Local Time: 10:58 PM
Voter turnout was low before and during the Iraq war. In your original post, you said that the public have moved on from the war. I'm saying they have not. The low voter turnout is an overall lack of faith in politics/politicians for many reasons. Not because the public has "has moved on from the war" or due to any one single issue.

Also you say that you don't think the majority of people think about Iraq on a daily basis, and I still disagree. I invite you to watch a local news network. Over here in DC we have NBC4: http://www.nbc4.com/ Even now when you click on the link you'll see a handful of related Iraq stories. Every day there is something about it covered. It really is everywhere here.

Anyway, sorry to derail your thread, Dread. I'll go back to my little corner now
__________________

__________________
unico is offline  
Old 12-30-2007, 12:19 AM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
coemgen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Black and White Town
Posts: 3,962
Local Time: 10:58 PM
They will win because Barack Obama is the man.
__________________

__________________
coemgen is offline  
Old 12-30-2007, 12:48 AM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
coemgen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Black and White Town
Posts: 3,962
Local Time: 10:58 PM
Actually, not only will they win because of Obama's sheer awesomeness, but Ron Paul will run as an independent, taking away a good chunck of the Republican vote.
__________________
coemgen is offline  
Old 12-30-2007, 01:03 AM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
maycocksean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: The Most Important State in the Union
Posts: 4,882
Local Time: 10:58 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by coemgen
They will win because Barack Obama is the man.
Do you really think he'll be able to wrest the nomination from Hillary? She's a pretty formidable force and I really don't see her withering any time soon.

We'll see what happens in Iowa Thursday though. . .
__________________
maycocksean is offline  
Old 12-30-2007, 01:06 AM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
coemgen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Black and White Town
Posts: 3,962
Local Time: 10:58 PM
Yes, I do.
__________________
coemgen is offline  
Old 12-30-2007, 01:09 AM   #21
The Fly
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 89
Local Time: 03:58 AM
Exchange students can't vote because they aren't U.S. citizens.
__________________
watergate is offline  
Old 12-30-2007, 01:16 AM   #22
The Fly
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 89
Local Time: 03:58 AM
I hope that its not Hilary I won't campaign for her.
Unico where do you get your information about low voter turn out? According to the U.S. census bureau in 2004 sixty-four percent of U.S. citizens age 18 and over voted in the 2004 presidential election. It would have been more had the Republicans not pulled their dirty tricks such as voter caging, which is illegal.
__________________
watergate is offline  
Old 12-30-2007, 01:18 AM   #23
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 30,343
Local Time: 10:58 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by watergate
Exchange students can't vote because they aren't U.S. citizens.
I think these were US students in Canada.
__________________
phillyfan26 is offline  
Old 12-30-2007, 07:00 AM   #24
War Child
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 706
Local Time: 08:58 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by maycocksean


Do you really think he'll be able to wrest the nomination from Hillary? She's a pretty formidable force and I really don't see her withering any time soon.

We'll see what happens in Iowa Thursday though. . .
He has to win Iowa and New Hampshire to generate enough buzz to overcome Hillary elsewhere. It'll be tight but possible.

But if he's the nominee, he will be the next President. Here's why.

3. Party Enthusiasm. He'll get democrats out in record numbers. Young voters and black voters will turn out like they never have before.

2. Bipartisan Appeal. He'll draw a substantial majority of independent voters. Independents voted 65% for dems in the 2006 midterms. Unlike Hillary, he'll be able to at least hold that number. There are even republicans who will vote for Obama. You can't say that about Hillary.

1. GOP Indifference. Unlike Hillary, Obama won't inspire an aggressive GOP/evangelical campaign against him. The midterms showed that a lot of GOP voters are disappointed and disillusioned right now. More than is typical will just stay home...that is, unless Hillary's the nominee.
__________________
LPU2 is offline  
Old 12-30-2007, 08:48 AM   #25
Blue Crack Addict
 
verte76's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: hoping for changes
Posts: 23,331
Local Time: 03:58 AM
They will win because people are fed up with Bush and company. The question is, if Hillary gets the nomination, will people vote for a woman? If Obama gets the nomination, will people get over their prejudices?
__________________
verte76 is offline  
Old 12-30-2007, 09:34 AM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
2861U2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: watching the Cubs
Posts: 4,251
Local Time: 10:58 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by watergate
It would have been more had the Republicans not pulled their dirty tricks such as voter caging, which is illegal.
You know what else is illegal? Folks from the Kerry/Edwards campaign going around slashing people's tires.
__________________
2861U2 is offline  
Old 12-30-2007, 10:17 AM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
maycocksean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: The Most Important State in the Union
Posts: 4,882
Local Time: 10:58 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by LPU2


He has to win Iowa and New Hampshire to generate enough buzz to overcome Hillary elsewhere. It'll be tight but possible.

But if he's the nominee, he will be the next President. Here's why.

3. Party Enthusiasm. He'll get democrats out in record numbers. Young voters and black voters will turn out like they never have before.

2. Bipartisan Appeal. He'll draw a substantial majority of independent voters. Independents voted 65% for dems in the 2006 midterms. Unlike Hillary, he'll be able to at least hold that number. There are even republicans who will vote for Obama. You can't say that about Hillary.

1. GOP Indifference. Unlike Hillary, Obama won't inspire an aggressive GOP/evangelical campaign against him. The midterms showed that a lot of GOP voters are disappointed and disillusioned right now. More than is typical will just stay home...that is, unless Hillary's the nominee.
I hope you're right. I think Hillary Clinton would do a great job as president, but I don't want her to get the nomination because, as I've already stated, I don't think she can win. There is a very strong undercurrent of dislike for Hillary Clinton in this country (see 2861U2's comments on her for an example of what I mean) and the Republicans will milk that for all it's worth. I like Obama, but even he will have an uphill battle. I disagree that the Republicans won't turn their venom on him if he's nominated. They will, and I fully expect that we will see highly sophisticated attacks that will play upon the latent racist fears of the Rush crowd.
__________________
maycocksean is offline  
Old 12-30-2007, 12:11 PM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
2861U2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: watching the Cubs
Posts: 4,251
Local Time: 10:58 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by maycocksean

They will, and I fully expect that we will see highly sophisticated attacks that will play upon the latent racist fears of the Rush crowd.
I would be careful here. I don't think most of the "Rush crowd" are racists. I don't like Obama for a number of reasons, but the color of his skin has absolutely nothing to do with it.
__________________
2861U2 is offline  
Old 12-30-2007, 12:52 PM   #29
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator
 
Diemen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Somewhere in middle America
Posts: 13,236
Local Time: 09:58 PM
Are you denying that there are people who would never vote for him because he's black?
__________________
Diemen is offline  
Old 12-30-2007, 01:32 PM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
2861U2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: watching the Cubs
Posts: 4,251
Local Time: 10:58 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Diemen
Are you denying that there are people who would never vote for him because he's black?
No, not at all. I'm sure there are. But I'm also confident that most of Rush's audience are not racists.
__________________

__________________
2861U2 is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com