why why why the f*k are there pple like this in the world? (weight issues) - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-02-2002, 05:05 PM   #16
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 02:15 PM
Re: now i have someone who cares for me no matter what i look like.

Quote:
Originally posted by Lilly

bc can't move it she's not a mod here on top of that, it's a separate issue and deserves its own thread, so it stays here.

I feel so...so...inadequate! *lol*

Bonochick [at] interference.com
Old 10-02-2002, 05:45 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 12:15 PM
kinking it up in FYM!

Quote:
Originally posted by Bonochick

I feel so...so...inadequate! *lol*

hmm...she IS east of the mississippi...but not if you go all the way west in which case she is all the way west and it's my jurisdiction.

Old 10-02-2002, 08:35 PM   #18
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Re: kinking it up in FYM!

Quote:
Originally posted by Lilly

hmm...she IS east of the mississippi...but not if you go all the way west in which case she is all the way west and it's my jurisdiction.

Bonochick [at] interference.com
Old 10-03-2002, 04:20 AM   #19
ONE
love, blood, life

Location: Angie Jolie lover from Belfast Norn Ireland. I LOVE YOU ANGIE! Im a Bono fan!
Local Time: 07:15 PM

First of all Deep, STOP POSTING MY PICTURE anytime there are subjects on this, thats twice now, and u know I told u off in PM, so just...............STOP it! My picture has nothing to do with the issue goin down, ok?

Right........stick to that 'Stars N' Stripes' pics that u like..............

ok, that out of the road.........the main issue as I said was pple who cannot quite help how they look physically and are put down, or have pple critisize them.........as I said, I would never do it...........if anything, i can think it in my mind......but would never use it verbally...........

look I have a chum in work.......and shes quite curvy, and everytime I say she has a fantastic figure, she moans and goes, 'Im too fat, Im too fat...' - she is not fat...........curvy - every mans dream.......big boobs.........great figure - something Id die for....................but even out of the blue she walks in and starts this.......'Im soo fat Jacqui....Im miserable'........

Now, u dont catch me walking in saying 'Im so skinny Sharon, Im miserable' - Id be attacked that Im lucky....by her................yet when I say Id love to look like her, she says 'no you wouldnt!'

so like .................the way girls get on with each other........yet we're 'supposed' to be bitchy behind each others back...........

I even wondered if any guys in this forum were critisized for how thin or big they are...........but I dont think it would be as seriously bitchy as girls doing it...............

its terrible........

I hate it.....

AND another thing.....my mum sometimes gets on my nerves, because on TV progs like Oprah, or any docs whatever.....if pple come on skinny, fat, large earrings, heavy make-up blah blah........she starts sayin 'look at the hack of that there!'...or whatever...........and Im like 'Mum, stop it, dont do that.....dont be like that......you would NOT like to be sitting there with pple commenting on you like you are at them'......

It truly bothers me she can be like this...........I try to ignore it, but always end up tellin her to stop and act how she herself would like to be treated......

Im sure, a large person sitting on a bench somewhere could be like that due to medication, or unhappy and truly cannot control.......yet pple point and laugh.

Or a skinny person somewhere could be very depressed over issues unknown to us and unable to help herself, or could be ill............yet pple point and laugh.

I know that Im a person who wont judge pple until Ive met them...............and when I look at thin/large pple, I dont laugh or comment......as Im on the same boat as them.........and, if we're all fairly similar......yes, its a damn struggle.........

Its just a question of why pple out there.............cant accept......and let others be.
Old 10-03-2002, 08:49 AM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 12:15 PM
My mom has a thyroid(sp?) condition and it has caused her to gain some weight. She has to take medictaion for the rest of ther life. I feel sad for her sometimes. I don't want anyone talking about my mom like that. I think I would snap if I ever saw that happen. My mom does not talk bad about anyone and does not have a mean bone in her body and is sensitive and if she heard someone talk about her like that I know for a fact she would start to cry. She has a tredmill now though and I know she will use it.

I have some protection issues when it comes to my mother
Old 10-03-2002, 12:51 PM   #21
Bono's Belly Dancing Friend

Speaking of weight issues, I just wanted to mention that I picked up a copy of Richard Simmons' autobiography in a book sale many months ago, and just recently started reading it. I'm about half way, but enjoying it ENORMOUSLY, this guy really understands food obsession (something that I definitely have!)

Here is an example of a guy who suffered from weight problems, teasing etc. He has a hilarious way of telling stories, and I highly recommend it!
Old 10-04-2002, 04:06 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:15 AM
Body image...too fat , too thin? impossible to get it right

maddie
again
I could tell you a story.....
but I'd rather just you.
But I hear you and it's tough and it sucks...
great big fecking ignorant thick-headed, insensitive,blind, shallow, hair-encrusted balls, doesn't it?

No matter how little I eat, I can't change my shape.(some people are starting to ask am I sick.................probably )

I had only seen one blurry photo of you before....!WOW!You are much much prettier than me...deadset, no joke............don't get me started on my flaws, it's too depressing.
me &U too
Old 10-05-2002, 08:32 PM   #23
Refugee

Local Time: 01:15 PM
Mad1, I can sympathize with your worries and aggravation. Don't worry about though, because millions of people would like to be thin, but can't get off the weight. As long as you're healthy and have an optimistic attitude those idiots won't be able to bring you down. Those morons have peanut sized brains, due to their inability to know how rude they are, and due to their need to be vocal about it.

And one last point: I've always thought Geri Halliwell was hot, and that's an understatement!
Old 10-05-2002, 08:39 PM   #24
Refugee

Okay....now that I've read through the preceding posts (and seen your picture), I must say that you are not "really, really skinny".

That may not float your boat, but it is TRUE. You look slightly thinner than an average girl, but by no means deathly. In fact, I'd wager that a lot of guys hit on you. You're very pretty, and whatever you're doing, keep it up
Old 10-05-2002, 09:02 PM   #25
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Maddie, you're lovely!

My size...you've seen Bridget Jones's Diary? I'm shaped a lot like Renee Zellweger was in that movie: not *heavy*, really, but, well...curvy, let us say. And I look terrible in pictures.

I agree that most Western societies tend to be pretty size-ist, despite the fact that the average (for example) American woman is five-foot-four and weighs 145 pounds--which is not exactly bone-thin. I guess that would come out to about a size 12. I'm a little shorter and smaller than that and I wear and 8 or a 10, so...

But why are we size-ist? I have a theory. America's Calvinist past rewards extrremes; specifically in this case, extreme self-denial and discipline. Just like our Calvinist ancestors believed that only an elect few can go to heaven, we retain the belief in that only a select few can be called beautiful. And that's just silly. I'm damn hot. And slightly drunk. But what the hell.

Join Amnesty.
Old 10-06-2002, 06:12 AM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Location: Born under a bad sign with a blue moon in your eyes
Maddie I totally agree with you. I think that it is horrible that society allows "fat jokes" to be acceptable. It's a shame that people don't realize that sometimes their weight is something they can't control. I hate that a person's worth is dictated by their size. I hate that in America it is considered obsene to be over a size 8. Of course the media doesn't help....on one of those annoying tabloids....they had a picture of someone and I can't remember who...with the caption "*name of star* pigs out and friends are worried about her getting fat" and to be honest, I didn't see anything wrong with the picture, other than the fact that she looked healthy and not sickly and thin. I personally get revolted when I look through "People" or "Us" and see their "fashion and style" sections....these women look horrible....skin and bones, drawn faces and grey teeth... Yet somehow they are rewarded for having eating disorders and being unhealthy.
Old 10-07-2002, 02:27 AM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 10:15 AM
Quote:
. I hate that in America it is considered obsene to be over a size 8.
I think that people in america have no concept of what different sizes and weights look like and they never seem to take height into consideration. The is supposed to maybe be something like a size 3 or 5 and 110 pounds maybe? yeah that's fine if you're 5'2", but if you're 5'9" that's skin and bones. I wear a size 10 and weigh 135 lbs and I'm not fat, not even chubby. I'm 5'7" and that is a perfectly healthy weight for my height, if I was to lose 25 lbs to get down to 110 I would look like I had cancer or something and probably be really sick and weak. I say that people have no concept of these sizes because whenever people find out what size I wear they usually say "no way, you couldn't possibly wear that size" I just go well I am fairly tall and I'm larger on bottom then on top.

I know how you feel Mad1, although I don't have people telling me that I'm too skinny I get comments about being too pale. Sometimes they're tactful and just concerned that I'm not feeling well, but other times they can say things like "ewww you're so pale" I find that extremely rude. I would never go up to someone and say ewww you're skin is so dark. Damn it I'm Irish, we're supposed to be pale!
Old 10-07-2002, 06:32 AM   #28
Jesus Online

Local Time: 05:15 AM
Its not about size, like ILuvLarryMullen said, its just plain rude to comment on someone's appearance. Size matters as much as hair colour or height. We just tend to be a little more uptight about weight, therefore making it rude to comment I think. What problem we have with our perceptions of ourselves is ours alone. People will rarely ask you what they think of their size, so why volunteer this kind of information? Not everyone aspires to be slim, not everyone cares that they are or are not. Some people do, and when they do care, it is their issue alone to be having.
Old 10-07-2002, 01:38 PM   #29
BAW
The Flower

Local Time: 10:15 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem
its just plain rude to comment on someone's appearance.

My husband's best friend picked up one of our wedding photos (7 years and 30 pounds ago) and had the nerve to say to me "No offense Char, but what happened to you? You look great here...what happened since then? Just how much weight have you gained?"

No offense??

I wanted to ask him what happened to all of his once thick head of hair (I knew him in high school) but I didn't want to stoop to his level. Ass.

People just have no business commenting on someone's weight, whether they're considered too thin or overweight. It's just rude.
Old 10-09-2002, 09:57 PM   #30
Bono's Belly Dancing Friend

Could you imagine the uproar if this song were released today? It was popular in my parents' day (yes, I have old parents!)

(chorus 1)
Oh, I don't want her, you can have her,
She's too fat for me.
She's too fat for me,
She's too fat for me.
I don't want her, you can have her,
Please do that for me.
She's too fat, she's too fat,
She's too fat for me.

I get dizzy, I get numbo
When I'm dancing
With my Jum-Jum-Jumbo.