Why we cannot fight terrorism

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

A_Wanderer

ONE love, blood, life
We (civilized countries for instance USA, Japan and Western Europe as opposed to uncivilized ones such as Syria or China who can fight terrorism with a full range of devices at their disposal that civilized countries do not) cannot fight terrorism properly because we have the hand of law enforcement tied behind our backs by civil liberties groups and some dangerous judges, case in point is as follows.
NYPD cops blasted a federal judge?s ruling aimed at stopping them from searching demonstrators? bags outside the Republican National Convention, saying the decision gives ?an open door to terrorists.?
Manhattan Federal Judge Robert Sweet?s decision - made public yesterday - prohibits blanket searches of bulky bags and backpacks in the absence of a ?specific threat.?

?In this day and age of terrorism, it?s an extremely dangerous step in a very dangerous time in New York City,? said an outraged Michael Palladino, president of the Detectives Endowment Association.

?It?s giving an open door to terrorists, and further handcuffing police at a time that they should be given a little bit more latitude,? Palladino said. He said he plans to urge Mayor Bloomberg to appeal the ruling.

Sweet?s decision also limits how many streets the NYPD can close around Madison Square Garden, and prohibits cops from penning protesters behind metal barricades.

The ruling does not prevent the use of hand-held metal-detecting wands around the perimeter of the convention.

Sweet wrote that his ruling is an attempt to ?define a resolution which can serve to encourage free expression in a secure society.?

He described the preventive measure by police as an ?invasion of personal privacy.?

Christopher Dunn, an attorney for the New York Civil Liberties Union, called it a ?historic victory.?
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/local/story/213954p-184246c.html

So what we have is a potentially dangerous decision in relation to security at a major event, I cannot express how angry I am at the complacency of the people who will play a politically correct "we will not check bags unless there is a specific threat", they are laying the groundwork for an attack 1000 times worse than 9/11 where hundreds of thousands of people will be killed because of the insistance that nobody gives up any of their pre-2001 liberties - hell they are even extending these rights to people who want to kill us all because it is politically incorrect to attempt to protect yourself these days.

Terrorist attacks are inevitable until most people accept that there is a threat out there and that it can only be dealt with by sacrificing some liberties in the name of securty as has been done in most wars, this is the World War of the Globalisation age and until many get beyond the pseudo-intellectual Oil Imperialism and Orwellian perpetual war rantings of the intelligencia (do not associate that term with actual intelligence) the potential for massive attacks looms large.

I think that there are hundreds of millions of people who are effectively supporting terrorism by defending, condoning and rationalising terrorism. Statements like "I oppose terrorism but..".
"remember what happened in 1975 and so i think.."..

I think the language of media doesnt help.. like " spain is paying the price "...as if 3/11 was ok to be done...and such things..
or " osama punished XYZ" as if osama is someone who has the authority to punish..

the media has been reallly disappointing and so has been a large section of people all around the world in the FIGHT AGAINST TERRORISM.

And thats the biggest problem to fight terrorism - you cant fight something which people actually (indirectly ) want.

While I believe terrorism does exist I think our media and our government are perhaps blowing things out of proportion. We have been on elevated alert since 9-11 happened with no terror attacks to speak of. When you think about it, the terrorists don't have to do anything at all because we are crippling ourselves with our own fear. All they have to do is sit back and watch us!

The problem is that we're fighting the symptoms and not the cause. You can never cure a disease if you only treat the symptoms.

Bush says that the terrorists hate us because we are free. I honestly don't undersand those who take that to mean that we should therefore have less freedom in order to fight terrorism. What, then, are we fighting for?

So let me get this straight you beat your chest and talk about how the own way to beat terrorism is through deadly force. The only way to find peace is through democracy, yet now we have to lose our democracy in the process. That's some scary thinking if you ask me. Where do you draw the line of people's right's to privacy being taken away. Might as well search everyone's bag within a 2 mile radius of the convention. Why we're at search everyone's house within a 2 mile radius.

Why are we assuming terrorist's will pose as a demonstrator?

This is a ridiculous argument. And like Cydewaze said we need to be fighting the cause.

cydewaze has it right. until we address the root causes of social injustice like abject poverty, human rights, education, a broken economic system, and systemic corruption within our governments, we will never be able to eliminate terrorism. Terroristic ideas are not natural; they must be bred. We must eliminate the breeding grounds with as much love, tolerance, and wisdom as possible.

i don't buy wanderer's sweeping and insulting statements that we are not supposed to be in an orwellian continual state of war. hello? it's all just about every government official has spewed since 9/11.

if we could all just open our eyes and realize what a devestatingly slippery slope this all is. i would rather die, happily, than give up my bill of rights. period. end of story. and i'll proudly defend my rights from the likes of my fellow americans who would happily surrender MY rights just so that they can falsely sleep better at night.

submission in the name of fear and security is the end-goal of terrorism. to insinuate that not supporting fascist police-state laws and the complete destruction of our bill of rights is to support terrorism is an old, flawed, disingenious, and unsophisticated fallacy.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Oh great, another think-piece from our man on the edge, A-Wanderer! Let me guess, authoritarianism is the answer! Lock up those damned civil libruls and communists!

I despise you, A-Wanderer, but have a nice day anyway.

Hmmm because I think that checking peoples bags is a simple way of preventing a disaster therefore I must advocate the creation of a police state, right, I love the logic jump there. Taking a specific example to illustrate that because of some judges fighting terrorism can be impossible to being an indigtment of the entire foundation of our society, truly that is such a good analysis of the way that I think because it is the exact opposite of what I was trying to damn well say.

I mentioned Civilized Countries because I love having an open and transparent democracy and I think that we can defend ourselves without becoming police states, I clarified my statement of civilized countries with examples of what I personally consider to be civilized and then examples that I consider to be uncivilized in terms of human rights and treatment of suspects because if I did not people would complain about using an unclarified statement of what a civilized country is and that would be a pointless argument, evidently people can see the difference between a moral and amoral government therefor my clarifier was useful.

Now the important bit, I in no way shape or form advocate the creation of an authoritarian system of government but I do have a profound sense of disgust when the judiciary removes a common sense means of saving lives on the basis that unless you have specific information relating to an attack it is unwarrented. Looking in peoples bags is not too much of a bother and it has the potential to save many innocent lives so now because I think that this is an example of how the law is failing to protect the citizens of a nation I am a deranged facist who thinks that the people must be submissive to the state and if they don't then they should all be shot.

This is a World War of the Globalisation Age and there is no way to negotiate our way out of it. People will be killed in future terrorist attacks and that is a sad fact, how we deal with the threat and retain those freedoms we hold dear is the question. I personally feel that one of the reasons that 9/11 occured was because the US did not take the threat seriously enough and the terrorists were able to exploit systematic weaknesses in the airport security and law enforcement systems to carry out their goals. That it was a fuckup of tremendous proportions that could have been averted if some reforms had taken place, this is all a coulda, woulda shoudda proposition however now in hindsight it is clear that the checks were not there. So here we are, international terrorists do have the ongoing goal to strike at the civilized world in the belief that they can trigger a chain of events which would allow them to gain power throughout the middle east. They also have the means to do so. Law enforcement should be upgraded to deal with this threat in a way that does not rob people of their rights but does , if 15 Arab Men aged between 20 and 50 board a single plane on a domestic flight then I would expect it to ring a few alarm bells, if a guantanamo bay detainee drops a name then I would expect that law enforcement would follow them up, if there is a politcal convention then I would expect that security is strong and all bags are checked upon entry in order to minimize the risk of disaster. These are very simple ways of dealing with an ongoing threat that do not make peoples lives worse, they do not create a police state and they most certainly do not hurt people or the way they live nearly as much as a terrorist attack would.

My Politics are as follows
1) Government is a necissary evil.
2) The Government must never be given the right to have blanket surveillance of its citizens and all communications. If the government or law enforcement wish to survail individuals then it must be overseen by the judiciary.
3) Islamic Terrorism is a global problem that is a representation of the same type of Authoritarian Systems that the Western World fought against in WW2 and the Cold War plus a lot of apocalyptic Islamist ideology tossed in, because we live in a globalized world its modus operandi are different than that of Nazism and Communism therefore it must be fough against on all levels in order to ensure that there never comes a time when they possess the tools to inflict massive destruction of civilian populations.
4) Governments should be responsible and take measures to protect their civilians and minimize the threat, this must be overseen by the elected representatives of the people and be subject to complete oversight, the law must be changed to take into account the mindset of the suicide terrorist to whom the standard means of detterent are not strictly applicable.
5) The War on Terror is not going to have a definitive winner, terrorism will still be used around the world and innocent people will always be used however the threat of massive attacks can be substantially reduced if much of the Islamic world can undergo the transformation from stagnant den of authoritarianism and hatred to democratic and open societies built on the concept of a free market.
6) All people on the earth deserve to live freely and if they do then there will not be nearly as much conflict and the United Nations etc. would actually work properly.

We must rise to the challenge of terrorism and overcome it by achieving the exact opposite of the terrorist, they do have genuine grievances that I would agree with however the terrorists solutions to those problems would see the destruction of the civilized world and the creation of an authoritarian Islamic superstate. I think the grievances can be solved by introducing democracy and forcing the regimes in the Middle East to modernize and democratize, once this is done the terrorists own support base will be drastically diminished and the brief heyday of global Islamist Terror will have drifted into history as quickly as it began.

Now can anybody else agree with me that checking peoples bags at a big political event that is a prime candidate for a terrorist attack is not an unwarranted interference into their lives and a violation of their rights and that this judges decision has the potential to cost lives.

EDIT
elfyx
until we address the root causes of social injustice like abject poverty, human rights, education, a broken economic system, and systemic corruption within our governments, we will never be able to eliminate terrorism. Terroristic ideas are not natural; they must be bred. We must eliminate the breeding grounds with as much love, tolerance, and wisdom as possible.
This is the precise view that Al Qaeda and Islamic Terrorists seek to create. What they have done is elevated their grievances to top priority on your list of problems a victory because it creates a lot of advocates who feel that by adressing the "root causes" (Read: Demands) they can prevent future attacks, this will not stop the Islamists they will keep coming until the free world is destroyed and the Caliphate is renewed, Ideological Motivation lies behind the Islamists own Death Cult (I am Calling Al Qaeda/Islamist world view a deathcult because it deals with a very apocalyptic clash of civilizations and end of days BS, Islam is not a Death Cult however branches from the Islamism school of thought most certainly are), the Al Qaeda terrorists themselves did not grow up in abject poverty Osama bin Laden is a well off individual and the Hijackers themselves were by no means poor, they had experience and education, it is not ignorance and poverty that breeds this terrorism it is the sucess of it as a tool to achieve their ends. The Palestinians have been extremely successful in using terrorism to gather world attention and sympathy and from this example Islamist Terrorism is able to manipulate opinion. There are millions of opressed people around the world and dozens of ethnic groups who are on the recieving end of great injustices who do not go out and muder other innocent civilians so we must ask is this the only cause of terrorism. I do not see Tibetan Bombers (Although the CIA backed insurgents did operate their success was relatively poor and it failed to gather the worlds attention as much as Arab hijackings and assassinations), these root causes you speak of are devoid of any real world application, terrorism is a form of political violence used by organizations that feel that they will gather more ground by killing innocents and making people pay attention to them than diplomacy ever can. We should disregard the demands of the terrorists and actively seek to find real and workable solutions to the problems, namely cutting the state sponsership and condeming all terrorist actions, there is absolutely no justification for this evil and by giving reciognition to murderers as we have done to Yassir Arafat we are setting the scene for a lot more trouble. There are problems with the world however the answer is not a utopian peace and love mantra, it involves taking a stand against injustice and bringing a true peace with justice to the world by wiping authoritarian governments and organisations out. People will be better off and the scourge of terrorism will not perpetuate if it never achieves anything.

Furthurmore any liberal democracy must strive to find a balance between Security and Liberties, this is what I was talking about, it must be acknowledged that the 1990's was a period of relative peace (Where it Mattered unfortunately :() and the old Cold War paradigms of Mutually Assured Destruction and calculation of the Soviets motivations were thrown out of the window, this allowed a sense of complacency to take effect and it was this thought that Large Scale Terrorism was something that happened in other places but never in the West that permeated the public conciousness, sure there were attacks but the public refused to acknowledge the gathering threat, now we know better and we should reciognize that the way that law enforcement works should be changed to deal with new threats, this is what I mean by balance. Consider you have a set of scales, in one till you have Liberties and in the Other you have Security, these are interchangeable, you can transfer some libety into security and visa versa, today there is a clear threat out there therefore it is not unwise to sacrifice a few liberties in the short term to ensure that security is not neglected and a big attack does not occur again. This shouldn't be cause for histerical cries that I am a fascist it should really be cause for a legitimate debate about the degree that law enforcement should be allowed to operate to provide maximum security for the minimum sacrifice. When I say that worse has been done in the past I am thinking of things like the treason and sedition acts, internment camps (I do not see Muslims being carted off to live in internment camps, that to me would be an action of an amoral government that would solve a problem but would be completely and utterly wrong), unlawful surveillance (the FBI in the 50's and 60's under Hoover was much more powerful than it is today, if you want an example of a police state look back to the early Cold War).

Last edited:
people of their rights but does , if
sorry, didnt finish the first part, here it is.

Law enforcement should be upgraded to deal with this threat in a way that does not rob people of their rights but does ensure that the everything that can reasonably be done to prevent an attack is done, failure to do this would be incompetent and plain wrong,

A_Wanderer said:
Furthurmore any liberal democracy must strive to find a balance between Security and Liberties, this is what I was talking about, it must be acknowledged that the 1990's was a period of relative peace (Where it Mattered unfortunately :() and the old Cold War paradigms of Mutually Assured Destruction and calculation of the Soviets motivations were thrown out of the window, this allowed a sense of complacency to take effect and it was this thought that Large Scale Terrorism was something that happened in other places but never in the West that permeated the public conciousness, sure there were attacks but the public refused to acknowledge the gathering threat, now we know better and we should reciognize that the way that law enforcement works should be changed to deal with new threats, this is what I mean by balance. Consider you have a set of scales, in one till you have Liberties and in the Other you have Security, these are interchangeable, you can transfer some libety into security and visa versa, today there is a clear threat out there therefore it is not unwise to sacrifice a few liberties in the short term to ensure that security is not neglected and a big attack does not occur again. This shouldn't be cause for histerical cries that I am a fascist it should really be cause for a legitimate debate about the degree that law enforcement should be allowed to operate to provide maximum security for the minimum sacrifice. When I say that worse has been done in the past I am thinking of things like the treason and sedition acts, internment camps (I do not see Muslims being carted off to live in internment camps, that to me would be an action of an amoral government that would solve a problem but would be completely and utterly wrong), unlawful surveillance (the FBI in the 50's and 60's under Hoover was much more powerful than it is today, if you want an example of a police state look back to the early Cold War).

Yes, there is a sliding scale between Liberty and Government-controlled Security (I am deliberately making this phrase slightly different than yours). Or rather, the option could be better described as Government-control in the name of Security. Does that scale need adjustments?
You personally indicate that you don't mind trading in some liberties for more government control (I am not saying security, because you cannot guarantee it). Others, including me, disagree. I don't want to have less freedom traded in for a feeling that I might be more secure. For me, the trade-off is too inequal. I still have a much higher chance that I die because of a car crash than of a terrorist attack. Yes, terrorist attacks do occur and I may be a victim of them. Sadly, that is the current truth. And yes, you may prevent them by trading in liberties. The country with the lowest chance of a terrorist attack in this world is North-Korea. However, they also have no liberties. How far will you go?

By suggesting that some liberties have to be traded in for government control so you can have a higher sense of security, I don't immediately want to suggest that you are a fascist. But be careful what you wish for. In many countries with totalitarian regimes (pre-WWII Italy and nazi-Germany are the two most obvious ones) it all started when its population voted for more government control so the government could fight the 'terrorists'. Their short-term loss of freedom quickly became a long-term burden (unless you call 10-15 years short term).

C ya!

Marty

Oh where to start...I'm just going to address the subjects of the article because the rest of what you preach I find to be drivel.
A_Wanderer said:

Now the important bit, I in no way shape or form advocate the creation of an authoritarian system of government but I do have a profound sense of disgust when the judiciary removes a common sense means of saving lives on the basis that unless you have specific information relating to an attack it is unwarrented. Looking in peoples bags is not too much of a bother and it has the potential to save many innocent lives so now because I think that this is an example of how the law is failing to protect the citizens of a nation I am a deranged facist who thinks that the people must be submissive to the state and if they don't then they should all be shot.

if there is a politcal convention then I would expect that security is strong and all bags are checked upon entry in order to minimize the risk of disaster.

First of all the article was about checking the bags of demonstrators and not those that enter the convention. Those that enter the convention will more than likely walk through a metal detector, empty pockets, the whole nine yards just like they would any sporting event etc.

But you're talking about randomly searching innocent peoples bags on the streets. There are so many problems with this. You call it common sense but nothing about it makes sense in a world where certain rights are protected. First of all the man power needed to have someone start looking through everyone's bag will increase that which is already needed for security. Logistically how are you going to search these bags, pull people over from the picket line and dump there stuff out onto a table? How are you going to stop the cops from searching innocent bystanders, those who aren't demonstrators, do you have to have a picket sign in hand to be a potential threat? What will be considered a terrorist threat...will a legal pocket knife now hold someone in suspicion? How will the items found be used against this person...i.e. what if a demonstrator had something illegal but nothing that could be used as a terrorist device would they get arrested? This isn't as simple as hey this man looks suspect let's search his backpack, oh look we found the blueprints to the building and some C-4(that will teach that terrorist to not hold a picket sign).

It's an absurd request you are in essence telling every American that if you use your given right to protest you are suspect of being a terrorists...but maybe that's there goal anyways.

A_Wanderer said:

This is the precise view that Al Qaeda and Islamic Terrorists seek to create. What they have done is elevated their grievances to top priority on your list of problems a victory because it creates a lot of advocates who feel that by adressing the "root causes" (Read: Demands)

This is nothing but bull headed arrogance and one of the most ignorant statements I've read in here. Yes I'm sure the terrorist demands are that we reach out and help our fellow man and try to eliminate, educate, and maintain human rights throughout the world. I'm confused now, because earlier you said they aren't freedom fighters, but now these are their demands? Interesting.

If you "despise" someone, please keep your feelings about them off this board. This is not a place to discuss how we feel about each other; we are here to talk about the issues.

Please, no more personal attacks.

When people say root causes of terrorism they are inevitably going to talk about the poverty and ignorance of the world and that when it is fixed terrorism will just go away, I wish that were so but it is not. Terrorism is a useful political tool that grabs peoples attention and gets them scared, once scared they seek resolution and want to make the terrorism stop. The easiest way is to say that we must adress the "root causes" of terrorism, I would argue that this is precicely the wrong course of action. The "root causes" of Al Qaeda is ongoing US Support the Saudi Royal Family. Now the first thing that happens is that people demand the US stops supporting Saudi Arabia, Bin Laden has calculated this and that is why he used Saudi Hijackers, it ensures that political pressure will be placed on Bush to hold the Saudi Government to account, by giving into US demands the House of Saud collapeses from internal pressure within the Kingdom and an even scarier Regime that follows Bin Ladens ideology can Sieze Power. It has nothing to do with poverty or ignorance and has everything to do with the Islamist Agenda of toppling existing states and establishing a Taliban Style Islamic Superstate that could seriously threaten World Peace, by dealing with the current root causes of Al Qaeda's existence the west would ensure that they will change the root cause as they are given more concessions and become a bigger threat.

I stand by my statement that those that desire to listen to Bin Laden and deal with the Root Causes are useful idiots because they are playing into his hands exactly, the best way to deal with Islamist Terrorists is to upset the Status Quo of the Middle East and introduce a competing political ideology such as the liberal democracy so that Islamism does not become an inevitability for the Islamic World. Once most people reject his message greater success in preventing future large scale attacks is an inevitability.

Last edited:
A_Wanderer said:
When people say root causes of terrorism they are inevitably going to talk about the poverty and ignorance of the world and that when it is fixed terrorism will just go away, I wish that were so but it is not. Terrorism is a useful political tool that grabs peoples attention and gets them scared, once scared they seek resolution and want to make the terrorism stop. The easiest way is to say that we must adress the "root causes" of terrorism, I would argue that this is precicely the wrong course of action. The "root causes" of Al Qaeda is ongoing US Support the Saudi Royal Family. Now the first thing that happens is that people demand the US stops supporting Saudi Arabia, Bin Laden has calculated this and that is why he used Saudi Hijackers, it ensures that political pressure will be placed on Bush to hold the Saudi Government to account, by giving into US demands the House of Saud collapeses from internal pressure within the Kingdom and an even scarier Regime that follows Bin Ladens ideology can Sieze Power. It has nothing to do with poverty or ignorance and has everything to do with the Islamist Agenda of toppling existing states and establishing a Taliban Style Islamic Superstate that could seriously threaten World Peace, by dealing with the current root causes of Al Qaeda's existence the west would ensure that they will change the root cause as they are given more concessions and become a bigger threat.

I stand by my statement that those that desire to listen to Bin Laden and deal with the Root Causes are useful idiots because they are playing into his hands exactly, the best way to deal with Islamist Terrorists is to upset the Status Quo of the Middle East and introduce a competing political ideology such as the liberal democracy so that Islamism does not become an inevitability for the Islamic World.

Such a simplistic view. You are not looking far enough back as to how and why Bin Laden can recruit these men. His recuits, the ones that he gets to "sacrifice" themselves are the uneducated and poor who are easily manipulated. You said so yourself that "winning" this war on terror will never stop terrorism and you're right because you are just breeding violence with violence it doesn't matter if it's justified in your eyes. The only way to solve any problem is to get to the root of the problem. The idea that deadly force is the only way is no better than the thinking of the terrorists.

Can you please tell me about the poor uneducated terrorists that Bin Laden used because for the life of me I cannot find them.

Is Mohammed Atta an example of this - Born into a wealthy Cairo Family he moved to Germany to study in Germany, he is not poor and he is by no means ignorant. This is an intelligent man who is motivated by ideology and was able to plot a very major attack.

You have others like Ramzi Yousef who was very knowledgeable of Chemicals and Electronics, he went to a technical college to learn about them and put his skills to good use in the 1993 trade center bombings.

These guys are not poor simpletons, they are smart and well off men who are prepared to die for their cause. They need the money because it allows them to operate all over the world without ringing any alarm bells, the best terrorist is the least likely suspect. If you can show me the international terrorist who is poor and stupid I will be quite surprised. I do not downplay who these guys are, they are smart and motivated which is a potent combination. Islamism is a political ideology and it is caused by the steady Decline of the Islamic world and an internal desire to see the past reborn, to restore some semblance of its former glory by annihilating the enemies of Islam and demanding servitude of those that remain. I think that by overlooking this and going to the relative safety of the politically correct - It's our fault for not fixing the problems of the world - is an expression of profound ignorance that I find quite staggering.

The Global Peace through Deadly Force was a sodding sig that uses a statement I would agree with in certain situations, it is not some sort of underlying answer to everything that I think we should just blow people up to solve problems. I think that we should fight terrorism properly through infiltration and surgical strikes and not by invading every single country that ever had any link to terrorists. If thinking that the best defence is a good offence is no better than the terrorist then surely I must have some ideas on par with Osama himself.

"Americans accuse our children in Palestine of being terrorists-those children, who have no weapons and have not even reached maturity. At the same time, Americans defend a country, the state of the Jews, that has a policy to destroy the future of these children. We are sure of our victory against the Americans and the Jews as promised by the Prophet: Judgment day shall not come until the Muslim fights the Jew, where the Jew will hide behind trees and stones, and the tree and the stone will speak and say, 'Muslim, behind me is a Jew. Come and kill him.' "
Hmm, I know that wanting to bring mass murderers to justice and prevent more innocent bloodshed is on par with wanting to exterminate an entire people. Gee I must be equally as bad as Osama himself.

in order to deny war merchants a chance and in response to the positive interaction shown by recent events and opinion polls, which indicate that most European peoples want peace, I ask honest people, especially ulema, preachers and merchants, to form a permanent committee to enlighten European peoples of the justice of our causes, above all Palestine. They can make use of the huge potential of the media.
This is an invitation to enjoy the peace of the grave, lets take it :up:

I find that the entire violence breeds violence argument is false, there are many more people who are opressed by occupation and injustice that do not resort to terrorism I think that this fact alone should disprove the argument. It is not a cycle of violence (although that is the view that terrorists try to present because it aids their cause because it appropriates guilt to the victims of terror) it is simply a calculated form of politcal violence designed to achieve very specific goals. I will not sit back and appease terrorists by playing into their demands I insist quite strongly that fighting against them and preventing them from achieving their goals is the best way to prevent terrorism and thankfully the governments of the countries that are on the front line in this war are on this side too.

Last edited:
A_Wanderer said:
Can you please tell me about the poor uneducated terrorists that Bin Laden used because for the life of me I cannot find them.

Not the card carrying terrorists themselves, but their supporters, which would number in millions all over the globe.

I think the point is, there's only so long that 'the West' can continue to screw over 'the Rest' before it will just keep biting the West back in the arse. Sure, go after Bin Laden etc with force, but at the same time TAKE AWAY THEIR CAUSE. They are salesmen, operating in a market that has no competition.

Thats where better health, education, doing the best we can to eliminate poverty etc comes in. For example, just wait until someone with a brain and financial backing can step into what Africa threatens to become in 15-20 years and can rally people and convince them that "you know why is happening? Because of THEM" and points his finger at the West. See my point?

There is no point just shooting the salesman and leaving the market open for exploitation. Take away the need for the product.

A_Wanderer:
I'm glad you put that point straight for me.
We both agree that the western democratic system is something worth fighting for. Also i know it isn't perfect it's still the best government (the Greeks?) invented.

But my point is:
we don't have to give the government more power, they simply have to do their homework.
9/11 didn't hapen because the Government wasn't allowed to do whatever they think is neccessary, 9/11 hapened because the secret services didn't do their homework.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/3916885.stm

The final report comes after two years of exhaustive investigation.

Intelligence bodies have come under harsh criticism for failing to avert the airliner hijackings, in which about 3,000 people died.

An airport surveillance video of some of the hijackers has added to dismay over the ease with which planes were seized.

It was our security-system that failed, not because they did not have the right to act but because they simply f***ed it up.

And The new government was fighting the against the wrong dangers before 9/11 (SDI reincarnation instead of defending the country against Terrorism)

"We do not believe leaders understood the gravity of the threat."

"The terrorist danger from [Osama] Bin Laden and al-Qaeda was not a major topic for policy debate among the public, the media, or in the Congress."

Mr. Bush and his Men weren't the first who underestimated the Terrorism threat but if you read what hapened on 9/11 they were simply swamped with the situation. I don't know if Mr. Gore would have bin better in that situation feel free to specualte about it.

elfyx said:
until we address the root causes of social injustice like abject poverty, human rights, education, a broken economic system, and systemic corruption within our governments, we will never be able to eliminate terrorism. Terroristic ideas are not natural; they must be bred. We must eliminate the breeding grounds with as much love, tolerance, and wisdom as possible.

How many suicide bombers killed in the name of "poverty" "human rights" "education" or a "broken economic system"???

Last big attack that occurred a couple years back, many of the participants came from wealthy countries.

While your proposal sound nice in theory, it does not match the workings of the real world and turns a blind eye to a significant factor.

nbcrusader said:

How many suicide bombers killed in the name of "poverty" "human rights" "education" or a "broken economic system"???

Last big attack that occurred a couple years back, many of the participants came from wealthy countries.

While your proposal sound nice in theory, it does not match the workings of the real world and turns a blind eye to a significant factor.

Well, yes, one wealthy country, Saudi Arabia. Might it be fair to say that they were motivated by pure, unmitigated hatred?

There are plenty of people who live in poverty (with nothing to lose, so to speak) who do not resort to terrorism. I'd say the majority of the poor are peaceful, loving people. This does not alleviate the wealthy of an obligation to help.

Yes, Verte, it is fair to include pure, unmitigated hatred as a motivation.

Let's not be so short-sighted.

Terrorism is bread of fear and illusion in the heart, no matter the intention. There is nothing more that breeds fear in the heart than social injustices, physical, emotional, and spiritual.

Unless and until we address these realities, which manifest in many of the ways I described, and more, terrorism will find fertile ground in the fear of a man's heart. Because Wanderer is right in that it is an effective political tool, but only if we let it. Let's not overestimate the power of a fightened, and overwhelmed ego.

A terrorist doesn't need to bomb in the name of economic justice for example, but economic injustice contributes to the collective mind-set that allows terrorism to not only root, but also help paralyze its victims.

It is the social injustices in the world that indoctrinate us to an ego-driven reality of control, external authorities, and "necessary" evils. It is unnecessary competition based in ignorance, and no evil is ever "necessary".

Terrorism is a mindset that can not exist in love, yet it thrives in fear, and hate, and violence. Yet we strive to combat fire with fire? Violence with violence? We are held in officially-sanctioned fear by constant security threats, duct tape, and other such propaganda, all designed to surrender our rights and freedoms to external authorities. The cycle of karma turns and turns and love and grace is the only transcendance. We seem to have forgotten how our spiritual energies work. The only way out of this mess is through love, and only love.

I don't give a flip about what the terrorist thinks, wants, or is trying to manipulate us to do. Unless our actions and intent is based in love, and the spread of love, justice, truth, joy and peace we will, as we have always done, fail at eliminating the root cause of all evils, terrorism included.

We HAVE to start somewhere. To allow grace into our lives, globally, we have to eliminate the DIS-graces of the world. Why is this so hard to understand? Because it's not the 'easy' or 'quick' fix? Because it's not profiteering?

It's even easier to actually manifest. We don't have to "do" anything. We just have to be. And all that we have to be is love. Devine grace (or whatever else you wish to call it) will take over from there, manifesting realities in which there is simply no place for terrorism to take hold. Our actions will spontaneously heal instead of divide and control.

Sound all wishy-washy? Too out-of-touch with the mundane reality? I tell you it's going to have to be Love and Peace or else...

You heal terrorism by healing the terrorist's heart. It may have to be 'tough-love' but it is love nonetheless.

A_Wanderer said:

I ask you once again to re-read what I said.
His recuits, the ones that he gets to "sacrifice" themselves are the uneducated and poor who are easily manipulated.

You couldn't have terrorism if it wasn't for the thugs with the guns and bombs strapped to themselves. You think Bin Laden is going to do the work himself? No way. It would be like building a skyscraper with just the general contractor, it can't be done, you need a crew the ones who work for the smallest pay, the ones who get dirty and risk their lives. Most bricklayers probably like their jobs but if they had the oppurtunity to do more, they probably would. We wouldn't have terrorism if it was just Bin Laden and a few other rich men with an agenda, there's no way they are going to do the dirty work.

No one said they are killing for these things they are killing as a result of these things.

NBC, same with the poor and homeless here. If you had a group here in the states that had an agenda and had the carisma and the funding, guess where they would start recruiting...the desperate and ignorant. Just look at the KKK for example how many educated versus uneducated, have you ever seen how the recruitment works for them or neo-nazis? So no one can sit there and convince me that economics and education have nothing to do with it and that violence is the only answer.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
NBC, same with the poor and homeless here. If you had a group here in the states that had an agenda and had the carisma and the funding, guess where they would start recruiting...the desperate and ignorant. Just look at the KKK for example how many educated versus uneducated, have you ever seen how the recruitment works for them or neo-nazis? So no one can sit there and convince me that economics and education have nothing to do with it and that violence is the only answer.

Which problem is easier to solve? Given the problem of poverty is as old as mankind, and is essentially "unsolveable," why would attention be placed on the "potential recruits" side of the equation (a very large number) and overlook the core problem.

nbcrusader said:

Which problem is easier to solve? Given the problem of poverty is as old as mankind, and is essentially "unsolveable," why would attention be placed on the "potential recruits" side of the equation (a very large number) and overlook the core problem.

What harm could one man do on his own? You can't build a building on your own, you can fly 3 planes into buildings on your own. There will always be psychos not even modern medicine can solve that. But more than likely a psycho like Bin Laden who doesn't have an "army" to hide and protect him would be locked up for life or dead by now with very little to no casualties.

Even if the problem of poverty is "unsolveable," so to speak, we could be doing much more than we are. People and their governments alike don't do what we could be doing to help to at least cut down on poverty, even if, as Jesus reminded us, the poor shall always be with us.

No one is saying we should ignore poverty, lack of education, etc.

It does not seem well thought through, however, as a "solution" to terrorism.

Back
Top Bottom