Why There Are No Homosexuals In Iran - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-14-2007, 06:10 PM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:27 PM
Why There Are No Homosexuals In Iran

Quote:
Homosexuals deserve to be executed or tortured and possibly both, an Iranian leader told British MPs during a private meeting at a peace conference, The Times has learnt.

Mohsen Yahyavi is the highest-ranked politician to admit that Iran believes in the death penalty for homosexuality after a spate of reports that gay youths were being hanged. ...

Minutes taken by an official describe a meeting between British and Iranian MPs at the Inter-Parliamentary Union, a peace body, in May. When the Britons raised the hangings of Asqari and Marhouni, the leader of the Iranian delegation, Mr Yahyavi, a member of his parliament’s energy committee, was unflinching. He “explained that according to Islam gays and lesbianism were not permitted”, the record states. “He said that if homosexual activity is in private there is no problem, but those in overt activity should be executed [he initially said tortured but changed it to executed]. He argued that homosexuality is against human nature and that humans are here to reproduce. Homosexuals do not reproduce.”
link

The arguments sound oddly familiar.

Old 11-14-2007, 06:13 PM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:27 AM
Better invade them, so.

Old 11-14-2007, 06:17 PM   #3
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 10:27 AM
Odd that he drew a distinction between private and "overt," considering that he was recommending the death penalty.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 11-14-2007, 06:35 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 03:27 AM
Lovely .

*Continues to feverently hope for the day when, all across the globe, people just won't give a damn about someone's sexual orientation anymore*

Angela
Old 11-14-2007, 06:45 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 02:27 AM
A couple years ago I had a fellow attorney who worked in the same building who I strongly, strongly suspected was closeted and he was Iranian-American. And I know his family and culture strictly prohibited being gay, even living here in the U.S. I am very openly gay. I don't shove it down others throats, but I don't hide from it either.

This fellow attorney and I, I think we had a bit of chemistry between us, and I think it could've lead somewhere, but he never came out and just remained a late 30s single bachelor, and I just think, if I am right and he is closeted, what a sad and lonley way to go through life all because of fear.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:40 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
Originally posted by FitzChivalry
This fellow attorney and I, I think we had a bit of chemistry between us, and I think it could've lead somewhere, but he never came out and just remained a late 30s single bachelor, and I just think, if I am right and he is closeted, what a sad and lonley way to go through life all because of fear.
I fully agree. Nobody should ever have to feel shame about that sort of thing. I just can't imagine how awful it would be to have to hide it from your own family. The rest of society, for the most part, you'd only have to deal with them for a short time and then move on (unless, of course, you live in a place like Iran). But your own family-it's not always as easy to just disengage yourself from them.

Very sad. You said that was a couple of years ago-I hope that man has gone on to find the happiness he deserves, or if he hasn't yet, that he someday will.

Angela
Old 11-14-2007, 08:58 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Cheney should send his daughter in the battle field now. she could create the ALA (Angry Lesbian Alliance)!
Old 11-14-2007, 09:18 PM   #8
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:27 AM
pish-posh.

the US has no business defending homosexual rights, after all, that might violate our precious freedoms regarding the unhindered expression of whatever our own religions might tell us to do.

we never condemn violence against homosexuals, so why start now?
Old 11-14-2007, 10:35 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:57 PM
Like so much else in Iran's idiotic theocracy, it's a misunderstanding of the Qur'an. I believe Lot states that if indeed homosexuals are sinning, they should be punished by God and strictly not humans.
Old 11-15-2007, 08:52 AM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:27 AM
This is terrible.
Old 11-15-2007, 01:38 PM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by The Sad Punk
Like so much else in Iran's idiotic theocracy, it's a misunderstanding of the Qur'an. I believe Lot states that if indeed homosexuals are sinning, they should be punished by God and strictly not humans.
Why is it hard to accept that God is a violent misogynistic bastard who wants man to act in his image, for most of time thats what's happened and ever will happen.
Old 11-15-2007, 06:12 PM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

I just prefer to think God's not that cruel *Shrugs*. I prefer to believe in a loving, caring higher being who doesn't give a crap about things like one's sexual orientation (especially given that if he indeed created everyone, that means he created homosexuals, and so it seems really strange that he would then turn on them so harshly).

But if God is indeed the way you described, A_Wanderer, fine. I just personally won't follow him/her/it, then.

Angela
Old 11-15-2007, 06:16 PM   #13
ONE
love, blood, life

Not if the gays are choosing to act against nature, they are acting against God.
Old 11-15-2007, 09:14 PM   #14
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:27 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
Not if the gays are choosing to act against nature, they are acting against God.

and this is why we'll criticize governments for their treatment of women, but not of gays.
Old 11-16-2007, 01:57 AM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:57 PM
Quote:
Why is it hard to accept that God is a violent misogynistic bastard who wants man to act in his image, for most of time thats what's happened and ever will happen.
Believe it or not - but I don't think an attitude like that will solve all the world's religious problems.

I think what is said of homosexuality in the Qur'an has been exaggerated, it's not a reoccurring theme, and has been interpreted differently. Not that such extreme homophobia could ever be justified, but there actually is no religious reason the theocracy is mistreating Iranian homosexuals to such an extreme extent.

http://www.metroweekly.com/feature/?ak=2458

"There's nothing in the Koran that speaks against homosexuality. The Lut [a.k.a. Lot] story speaks about heterosexual men who use homosexual sexual acts as a form of punishment. When you read it literally, it says, ''men who turn away from their wives or mates.'' Gay [men] don't tend to have [female] mates unless it's a cultural situation they're forced into, by family or culture."