Why the World Social Forum? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-25-2003, 08:09 PM   #16
Refugee

Local Time: 06:36 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by whenhiphopdrovethebigcars
Viva was more like... keep living, enough others have been shot for what you say.
Good

I´m looking forward to hear the news from Davos tomorrow, when president Lula will give his speech.

You know, this is the first edition of the WSF that I have been able to participate. I was out of town, on vacations, during the previous two ones. That´s the reason why I´m so excited. It has been such an amazing experience, really. I´m glad that some of the conferences have been aired on TV or broadcasted on radio, because I´m a working girl, so I cannot participate in all of them. Tomorrow in the afternoon I have plans to attend a conference about cinema and its homogenization and other about public education systems throughout the world, subjects that I´m really interested in. I´m learning a lot.

Old 01-27-2003, 05:49 AM   #17
Refugee

Today is the last day of the WSF. I had a busy Sunday, but it was great. I went to that conference about cinema and politics, really good. Couldn´t attend to Danny Glover´s lecture though.

Some links from yesterday international coverage:

From BBC:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/2691927.stm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/2696393.stm

From Associated Press:
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...d_social_forum

Old 01-28-2003, 03:07 PM   #18
Refugee

Okay, the WSF is over now. Next year it will be in India and then back to my hometown, Porto Alegre, in 2005.

Some pictures of this remarkable event, something I will never forget. It was great to be a little part of it.

Another world is possible. It must be, indeed.

Tchau

Sister Sherine, from Iraq, second right from left, speaks during a conference about the theme ' Impunity ', in the gym of Igantinho, during the World Social Forum, in the city of Porto Alegre, Brazil, Monday, Jan. 27, 2003. Sister Sherine talked about the humanitarian experience and the consequences of sanctions imposed on Iraq. The forum is an annual protest against the World Economic Forum held simultaneously in Davos, Switzerland

U.S actor Danny Glover gestures during a news conference at the III World Social Forum in Porto Alegre, January 26, 2003. The Forum is an anti-globalization convention of civic groups and left-leaning organizations meant to counterbalance the World Economic Forum (news - web sites) in Davos, Switzerland. REUTERS/Silvio Ávila

These ones are of the final parade yesterday, almost at the sunset time

Tens of thousands wave flags demonstrating in a march against a possible U.S.-led war in Iraq and a proposed Free Trade Area of the Americas, or FTAA in the last major event of the III World Social Forum in Porto Alegre, Brazil on Monday, Jan. 27, 2003.(AP Photo/Dado Galdieri)

Old 01-28-2003, 03:14 PM   #19
Refugee

My last report From the WSF official website:

27/01/2003
Statistics of the 2003 World Social Forum

The 2003 World Social Forum, that was held in Porto Alegre from th 23rd to the 28th of January, joined about 100 thousand participants, such as delegates, observers, press, professionals and activists from all over the world.

The organization recorded a total of 20.763 delegates, representing 717 organizations from 156 countries.

4.094 jornalists from 1.423 different media networks from 51 countries registered to cover the event. Out of these, 3.262 were from press, radio or TV networks and 832 were free-lance jornalists.

From 51 countries, Brasil was the country that sent more representatives. There were 2.131 jornalists, who have represented 808 vehicles. The italian press came second, with 153 jornalists, representing 83 vehicles.

Next came Argentina (141 jornalists from 73 vehicles) and France (153 jornalists from 74 vehicles). The US sent a delegation with 93 jornalists, just as much as the urugayan delegation, but with a great number of vehicles: 53 versus 42 from Uruguay.

1.286 workshops were held during the 2003 WSF.

About 650 volunteers worked on the 2003 WSF.

The Youth Camp sheltered around 25 thousand people, from wich more than 19 thousand registered as representatives from 700 groups.

The 2003 WSF organization had a total direct cost of US$ 3,485 millions, and indirect costs with personal and the lecturer’s room & board, which were supported by Porto Alegre’s City Hall.

The revenue generated by the Forum is, however, much greater. The organizers calculate that the 100 thousand participants circulated, at least, US$ 20 millions, including transport, room & board and eating. According to some press organizations’ calculations, the ammount could reach up to US$ 50 millions.

Porto Alegre, January 27th 2003
Old 01-29-2003, 04:31 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 11:36 AM
Cool.

Tell me sth. more about da Silva "Lula", I´m not up to date.
Old 01-30-2003, 12:01 PM   #21
Refugee

Local Time: 09:36 AM
(follower)Debbie, I didn´t get it...what does MIT mean? Remember, I´m not from US And even though you don´t agree with the author you cannot deny that the gap between rich and poor is getting wider, don´t you think? So, we must seek for the reasons and also for a better world.

MIT does mean Massachusettes Inst. of Technology. Chomsky taught there as a Linguistic professor, before getting involved in political issues. or maybe he is still there? i don't know.

i do agree that the gap between rich and poor is getting wider, especially between those residents living in the favelas compared to the "rich" residents living along Rio beach, are there houses there? i don't know, i have never been there. perhaps someday U2 will expose the gross discrepancy in the local community. by the way, when does the Amazon Survivor show start? all those Americans will probably be camping very far away in the dense jungle!

could you please explain the exact problem that is facing Brazil, here? Thank you.
Old 01-31-2003, 09:45 PM   #22
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by whenhiphopdrovethebigcars
Cool.

Tell me sth. more about da Silva "Lula", I´m not up to date.
Hello. I found this profile of Lula at BBC News website, a bit summarized, but at least is in english

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/2367851.stm
Old 01-31-2003, 10:01 PM   #23
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by DebbieSG
i do agree that the gap between rich and poor is getting wider, especially between those residents living in the favelas compared to the "rich" residents living along Rio beach, are there houses there? i don't know, i have never been there. perhaps someday U2 will expose the gross discrepancy in the local community. by the way, when does the Amazon Survivor show start? all those Americans will probably be camping very far away in the dense jungle!

could you please explain the exact problem that is facing Brazil, here? Thank you.
Debbie, I´m sorry, I havent´heard of any Amazon Suvivor show here yet, though I don´t watch television that much. All I can say is that Amazon is as far from Rio as California is far from New York

Now for the gap between rich and poor. Maybe you don´t know that Brazil is the 10th economy in the world, our territory is rich in natural resources, we are 175 millions of people, the country is as big as a continent, and we have a very good climate for agriculture. Despite all of that we have one of the worst concentration of wealth in the entire world, similar to some African countries, unfortunetaly. The reasons are historic and quite common to other latin american nations. But fortunetaly we have been living a time of hope and belief in a better future, because of our current government that we elected last October 2002. Time will tell if our hope for a better society will turn into reality.
Old 02-01-2003, 07:01 AM   #24
Refugee

Just a brief note to let you know that I won´t be able to answer or debate any further questions in this thread, because I´m taking some weeks off on vacations. I let a proper farewell message at Lemonade Stand, my happy birthday thread. Tchau.
Old 02-01-2003, 08:04 AM   #25
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:36 AM
Just wanted to say thanks for posting all this info about the WSF, it sounds like it was an amazing event to be a part of. I'm hoping to go to the European Social Forum which is in Paris in November