why should i vote? - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-17-2007, 07:58 PM   #31
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 11:35 AM
"So, really, why on earth should I vote?"

Because you have the freedom to vote.

Imagine yourself in a country where can can't vote.

Old 12-17-2007, 10:39 PM   #32
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

umm.
imagine myself in a country where I have the freedom to vote but my vote doesn't count for shit.
those poor Iraqis under Saddam!

I should just be happy that I have the right to check a name...what happens after I do that is all details, I guess.

(and of course living under Saddam was worse than living here and the two aren't equatable blahdisclaimerblah)

Old 12-17-2007, 10:49 PM   #33
She's the One

Local Time: 08:35 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by VertigoGal
umm.
imagine myself in a country where I have the freedom to vote but my vote doesn't count for shit.
those poor Iraqis under Saddam!

It's true, even though it's cliche. People are still dying for the right to vote around the world. A right Americans are too cynical and lazy to exercise.
Old 12-17-2007, 10:56 PM   #34
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 10:35 AM
Exactly. I understand in some ways why people have grown cynical and jaded in this country, but it's that exact same cyncism that's preventing any progress from happening. Of course nothing's going to get done if we're just like, "Well, why bother? People will just do what they want anyway."

Angela
Old 12-17-2007, 11:13 PM   #35
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:35 PM
My advice would be to keep up with what is going on -- locally, nationally, and internationally -- and vote when you are both informed and feel drawn to do so (make sure you are and remain registered so you can vote when you want to).

Politics and politicians are often sickening and I certainly understand why many people want nothing at all to do with them (I know I sure as hell don't). So don't deal with them -- do something else. There are many things you can do to make a positive impact in this world that are not political. Find one or more of those things and do that. There is more than one way (voting) to make your voice heard.
Old 12-18-2007, 12:27 AM   #36
The Fly

Local Time: 04:35 PM
Apathetic Americans are the reason why the United States is becoming a third world country and going to hell in a hand basket.
Reasons why you should vote.
Your aid for college is being cut every year.
The United States is in a recession and headed for an economic depression.
America is losing the good paying jobs to other countries, 3 million and growing. Do you want to spend all that time in college just to get a job at a call center or in the service industry?
You could be drafted if the U.S. invades Iran.
Most of you constitutional rights are gone.
Your generation is going to inherit the largest deficit in the history of the U.S. Deficits turn countries into third world countries. Before 2000 the U.S. was the greatest lender to the world, now the U.S. is the greatest borower in the world. China owns us.
Do you want to live in a third world country? This seems to be the path the U.S. is on.
Old 12-18-2007, 06:39 AM   #37
Blue Crack Supplier

Uh ... alright.
Old 12-18-2007, 08:07 AM   #38
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by watergate
Apathetic Americans are the reason why the United States is becoming a third world country and going to hell in a hand basket.
Reasons why you should vote.
Your aid for college is being cut every year.
The United States is in a recession and headed for an economic depression.
America is losing the good paying jobs to other countries, 3 million and growing. Do you want to spend all that time in college just to get a job at a call center or in the service industry?
You could be drafted if the U.S. invades Iran.
Most of you constitutional rights are gone.
Your generation is going to inherit the largest deficit in the history of the U.S. Deficits turn countries into third world countries. Before 2000 the U.S. was the greatest lender to the world, now the U.S. is the greatest borower in the world. China owns us.
Do you want to live in a third world country? This seems to be the path the U.S. is on.
Are you Jack Bauer's father?
Old 12-18-2007, 10:39 AM   #39
The Fly

Local Time: 04:35 PM
Nope I'm just a political science major and I've studied economics and history. I'm active in politics. I'm proud to be a radical liberal and a member of the Democratic Party which Thomas Jefferson founded. I want to be a union organizer when I graduate.
Old 12-18-2007, 10:48 AM   #40
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26
Uh ... alright.
Quote:
Originally posted by randhail

Are you Jack Bauer's father?
Everything in his post is true or very likely.

~

Also,

VertigoGal, I appreciate that you feel disenchanted with the current state of US politics, as I and many other Americans do. The first step towards changing that is casting a vote because you have the right to do so. Hell, I live in Canada and I'll be casting an absentee ballot because

a) I have the right to, and
b) Because I don't want the US to continue as it has for the last eight years. I am proud to be a US citizen despite everything and will do what I am enabled to by being a citizen: vote.

You've had the reasons to vote laid out for you, so if you're going to keep whining in an irritating manner, please just let this thread die and stop being so fucking selfish and annoying.

Old 12-18-2007, 12:44 PM   #41
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

canadiens.

it's not so much that i am unsure that elections are important, but that i am bothered by the fact that my vote makes essentially no difference under the electoral college system. but ok.
Old 12-18-2007, 01:36 PM   #42
Rock n' Roll Doggie

And when all is said and done, your individual Presidential vote is fucked in a winner take all state. And what is worse is you are associated with how the state goes. I live in a purple state that goes blue (narrowly) in Presidential elections. My father feels the same way you do in reverse, but at least here it's not a foregone conclusion so you feel slightly better about your vote. Here's hoping for a purple Georgia.
Old 12-18-2007, 03:30 PM   #43
Blue Crack Overdose
Get me off the internetz!

Local Time: 08:35 AM
Voting in the US is a privilege and a right. You should vote. If not, I don't feel those people really have any right to go around bashing candidates and issues.
Old 12-18-2007, 03:32 PM   #44
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Carek1230
If not, I don't feel those people really have any right to go around bashing candidates and issues.
I completely disagree with this.
Old 12-18-2007, 03:47 PM   #45
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26

I completely disagree with this.
why?