why should i vote? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-16-2007, 04:56 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 11:24 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon

That may be true, but in many Southern states, there is often a sizable Democratic minority (40%+). In other words, there's only a difference of 10% to worry about.

I understand why you're discouraged, but, as a matter of principle, you should do your part to be part of--and potentially grow--that 40%. It might help encourage some other liberal cynics to actually bother to vote in future elections.
yeah the margin actually isn't too wide in Georgia it seems. If I lived in Utah I'd have something to bitch about. I just hate feeling like the people at the top have a good laugh at your cute decision to vote, ahh so naive. I guess it's the paranoia again. Also I just got a ticket for barely rolling a stop sign on a back road that absolutely no one is ever on, so the Man can go fuck himself right now. Ho hum. A sad story. And I'm hating myself for wishing the guy a "nice day," ahh I'm a sucker.

anyway Rock Da Vote!

Old 12-16-2007, 04:58 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

(of course the fault was mine in the Great Traffic Citation Drama---just living in fear of this evening when I have to explain to my father!)

I'm allowed to derail my own thread, right...

Old 12-16-2007, 05:29 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by VertigoGal

And I'm not just talking about how I hate all conservatives blahblahblah. I'm sure conservatives in very liberal states feel the same way, and I sympathize.
Right. As excited as I am about my first presidential election, I'm 99.9% sure that my Republican vote here in Illinois will mean nothing, especially if Obama is the opposing nominee.

Just thought I'd chime in. Yes, it is very frustrating at times.
Old 12-16-2007, 05:31 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by unico

You know what? I live in what was a very very very very VERY red state (former capital of the confederacy!) I was just as frustrated with the conservative politicians as you are. But you know what? We voters kept at it. It feels hopeless at times, but slowly, we've now become a purple state. We're getting bluer and bluer each election. Baby steps, VG. There are very few goals in life that can be accomplished instantaneously. Persistence is key. There has to be a collective change of consciousness, and that can only happen if there is somebody there facilitating that. It sucks, because it is slow, and often met with very little if any significant change. But that is not to say it isn't possible.

Excellent post.
Old 12-16-2007, 06:16 PM   #20
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Rono
If you don`t vote, you have no rights to complain about political decisions .
There are plenty of reasons why she should vote, and this is not only not one of them, but flat out wrong.
Old 12-16-2007, 06:49 PM   #21
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:24 AM
I vote in federal and municipal elections. I feel a sense of citizenship towards the city where i live and the country that I live in, and I don't mind taking 30 minutes out of one day every odd year to vote.

I look at it as my civic responsability.
Old 12-16-2007, 07:04 PM   #22
She's the One

Local Time: 08:24 PM
Quote:
I just hate feeling like the people at the top have a good laugh at your cute decision to vote, ahh so naive.
If this were true, the candidates wouldn't be giving every Iowa and New Hampshire voter a handjob right now.
Old 12-16-2007, 07:29 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I'm still waiting for my sexual favors.
Old 12-16-2007, 07:35 PM   #24
She's the One

Quote:
I'm still waiting for my sexual favors.
Not from the Republicans.
Old 12-16-2007, 07:48 PM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

Because women didn't get the right to vote (nationally) in this country until 1920-not all that long ago. And many women and others still don't get to elsewhere in the world. So yes, because you can is a great reason.

Personally I was thrilled the first time I got to vote, and many years later I still feel a thrill. I recommend it
Old 12-16-2007, 10:51 PM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 10:24 PM
Too true, MrsSpringsteen-I like being able to go out there alongside the men and speak my mind on political issues.

Quote:
Originally posted by BonosSaint
A right to vote is kind of meaningless without real choice. What power do I have when I have the ability to vote for this piece of crap (hyberbole intended) over that piece of crap? I think they should have a No Vote button or buttons to indicate that the voter did bother to come out and doesn't like any of them.
Seriously, why don't they do that sort of thing more often? It'd all be so much more honest that way and would probably get a lot of attention a la "Okay, why are neither of these people attracting voters? What are we doing wrong here?". I also think third-party candidates should be allowed to have more of a part in the political process-be in the debates and get their time on television and all that, too. It's only fair.

The rest of your post was fantastic, too. Especially the part about holding people accountable. I don't care whether you vote or write letters or protest (respectfully, of course) or whatever, just do SOMETHING. We've seen what happens when we just let the leaders do what they want, and it's kinda scary. I fully intend on voting next year, and would encourage others to do so as well, but I do understand the frustration and the apathy greatly. Just channel all those feelings into some sort of positive action. We need as much help as we can get.

Angela
Old 12-16-2007, 10:56 PM   #27
She's the One

I disagree on the "none of the above" option. That would soon be twisted into a reason for not holding an election.
Old 12-17-2007, 03:02 PM   #28
War Child

Local Time: 10:24 PM
I am opposed to voting just for the sake of voting. I don't believe in any of the candidates, and cannot choose any of them.
Old 12-17-2007, 03:24 PM   #29
Blue Crack Supplier

What is the advantage to the voting being state-by-state as opposed to popular? Other than state governments getting more power?
Old 12-17-2007, 03:57 PM   #30
She's the One

Quote:
Originally posted by AnnRKeyintheUSA
I am opposed to voting just for the sake of voting.
There are plenty of dictatorships around the world who agree with you wholeheartedly.