Why Should I Care About Iraq? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-03-2008, 12:31 PM   #16
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:54 AM
one can't kill flies with flypaper if the flypaper generates an unlimited number of new flies.

Old 01-03-2008, 01:08 PM   #17
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:54 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Strongbow

Most Al Quada activity around the world occurs in Iraq and it is vital to stabilize the country in order to prevent Al Quada from gaining a base there like they once had in Afghanistan prior to 2001.
Yes and where was the activity before we got there? And how do you guarantee stopping them from gaining a base, after we leave? How do you guarantee stopping them from gaining base anywhere else? Do you have any evidence that recruiting numbers are down or that there is any sign of ending them or other terrorist cells?

Old 01-03-2008, 01:31 PM   #18
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

Most Al Quada activity around the world occurs in Iraq and it is vital to stabilize the country in order to prevent Al Quada from gaining a base there like they once had in Afghanistan prior to 2001.

what a great argument against invasion.

indeed, we have made ourselves, and others, less secure.
Old 01-03-2008, 02:46 PM   #19
ONE
love, blood, life

yeah but melon, don't you see? homosexuals ARE terrorists.

... or on par, anyway.

evil, evil people they are.

you should know! i mean... don't you KNOW inside that you're evil?

auch...

all kidding aside, i know what you mean. i don't care about iraq. i really don't.

you do realize though, that this makes the american government happy, right?
Old 01-03-2008, 03:46 PM   #20
Refugee

Local Time: 08:54 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

Yes and where was the activity before we got there? And how do you guarantee stopping them from gaining a base, after we leave? How do you guarantee stopping them from gaining base anywhere else? Do you have any evidence that recruiting numbers are down or that there is any sign of ending them or other terrorist cells?
Activity was elsewhere, but the removal of Saddam was a necessity despite the risks involved with rebuilding the country. The coalition can insure that Al Quada will not have a base like they did in Afghanistan by not withdrawing pre-maturely and following a sound counterinsurgency and nation building strategy.

The evidence from Iraq based on attacks shows that Al Quada activity is down over the past 6 months. There is much less hard data on recruiting so actual activity is a better metric to use. In any event, anyone inspired to join Al Quada is just as likely to join because of the US occupation in Afghanistan, yet I don't here you calling for withdrawal there or that it was a mistake to invade there.
Old 01-03-2008, 03:47 PM   #21
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

what a great argument against invasion.

indeed, we have made ourselves, and others, less secure.
Except, if there are threats that far exceed the risks involved with invasion. Both the invasion of Afghanistan and Iraq easily meet that test.
Old 01-03-2008, 03:49 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
anyone inspired to join Al Quada is just as likely to join because of the US occupation in Afghanistan, yet I don't here you calling for withdrawal there
Not to worry, the Canadian population is calling for withdrawal (and the troops will be leaving shortly).
Old 01-03-2008, 03:52 PM   #23
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
one can't kill flies with flypaper if the flypaper generates an unlimited number of new flies.
So I take it this means your against the operation in Afghanistan?
Old 01-03-2008, 03:57 PM   #24
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram

Not to worry, the Canadian population is calling for withdrawal (and the troops will be leaving shortly).
Given the difficulty with which the Canadian military went through to transport several dozen heavy main battle tanks into Afghanistan, I really doubt it. The Canadian military is the only force on the ground in Afghanistan that has taken on that logistical hurdle given how remote and land locked Afghanistan is. They even had to rent the largest cargo transport plane that the Russian military has to get the tanks there. Even then, the transport could only carry one or two tanks at a time. Seems like there in there for the long haul, or at least until the next change in leadership in Canada.
Old 01-03-2008, 04:06 PM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

Given the difficulty with which the Canadian military went through to transport several dozen heavy main battle tanks into Afghanistan, I really doubt it. The Canadian military is the only force on the ground in Afghanistan that has taken on that logistical hurdle given how remote and land locked Afghanistan is. They even had to rent the largest cargo transport plane that the Russian military has to get the tanks there. Even then, the transport could only carry one or two tanks at a time. Seems like there in there for the long haul, or at least until the next change in leadership in Canada.
That just shows that you don't know much about Canadian politics.

The parliament authorized the troops to remain only until February 2009. The opposition parties have all stated, more than once, that they will bring down the government if they try to extend the mission. Harper knows and gets that.

This is why he has started a commission to look into what kind of reduced, non-combat role the Canadian public could possibly accept for beyond 2009. Meanwhile, the majority of the Canadian public is not only disagreeable to that, but wishes for us to break the commitment and pull out prior to the 2009 date.
Old 01-03-2008, 04:26 PM   #26
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

So I take it this means your against the operation in Afghanistan?

only if we're going to pretend that all things are the same and see the world in sweeping, vast generalizations.

why don't you pause for a moment and ask yourself WHY so many view the operations in iraq and afghanistan in such different ways.

surely it's more than just not liking Bush.

unless that's the only way you can explain something to yourself.
Old 01-03-2008, 05:15 PM   #27
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

Activity was elsewhere, but the removal of Saddam was a necessity despite the risks involved with rebuilding the country.
Nothing to do with Al Quada.

Quote:

The coalition can insure that Al Quada will not have a base like they did in Afghanistan by not withdrawing pre-maturely and following a sound counterinsurgency and nation building strategy.
How do you insure without staying there forever?

Quote:

The evidence from Iraq based on attacks shows that Al Quada activity is down over the past 6 months. There is much less hard data on recruiting so actual activity is a better metric to use. In any event, anyone inspired to join Al Quada is just as likely to join because of the US occupation in Afghanistan, yet I don't here you calling for withdrawal there or that it was a mistake to invade there.
Well my point isn't that because we're in Iraq we're encouraging more to join, although this is probably the case, my point is that you don't end terrorism this way. And just because activity is down, doesn't mean a whole hell of a lot. Activity has been up and down since the beginnings of Al Quada, this is part of their MO. Don't you think it would be productive for Al Quada to lay low while there is a surge and wait the surge to be reduced?
Old 01-03-2008, 06:20 PM   #28
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

Nothing to do with Al Quada.

I 100% disagree with you.

Iraq was the driving force behind the policy that led to the growth of AL-Qaeda.

In my opinion the case for war was we need to remove Saddam to alter our foreign policy in the region. With Saddam in power, we could not do that.

I would also argue that the war in Iraq brought al-qaeda and its resources to Iraq to fight in a war. One in which we along with the Iraqi government, have been winning as of the last six months.

I did not say it was pretty. This administration did nothing to educate the public that Al-Qaeda was not tied to Iraq after 9/11 to suit its own needs for the case for war.

The reality is, Iraq had much to do with the shaping of our foreign policy in the 90's and the rise of Osama.
Old 01-03-2008, 06:56 PM   #29
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox

I 100% disagree with you.
"but the removal of Saddam was a necessity despite the risks involved with rebuilding the country."

That comment was specifically in response to this comment ^. What does that comment have to do with Al Quada...

Quote:

Iraq was the driving force behind the policy that led to the growth of AL-Qaeda.
You mean after we invaded?

Quote:

I would also argue that the war in Iraq brought al-qaeda and its resources to Iraq to fight in a war. One in which we along with the Iraqi government, have been winning as of the last six months.

I did not say it was pretty. This administration did nothing to educate the public that Al-Qaeda was not tied to Iraq after 9/11 to suit its own needs for the case for war.
I'll agree with most of this. And where as I agree we may be winning in Iraq, but I really don't see any evidence how this is winning the "war on terror", and that's my whole point.

Quote:

The reality is, Iraq had much to do with the shaping of our foreign policy in the 90's and the rise of Osama.
Yes, but just because you can play connect the dots doesn't mean the first dot is the cause.
Old 01-03-2008, 07:00 PM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

Really? Care to elaborate on that?