Why must we show restraint to our enemies. - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-10-2006, 09:36 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 06:23 AM
Why must we show restraint to our enemies.

In a recent (today) video Al-Qaida of Iraq released a video showing two dead soldiers they killed in retalliation for the supposed Rape of an Iraqi woman. In the video, which I saw it shows one soldier who was decapitated. A few seconds later a foot comes into view where the videographer is stepping on the head of the other US soldier.

Why must we show restraint against them and not be allowed to torture or disrepect there bodies, such as cremate them, which is not allowed in the Muslim religion. This would only affect the insurgent fighters and not civilians. Is it because we have to many morals and are to good for that. Is there a line that is drawn that says enough is enough?

The video can be found here. *It is very Graphic* mods can remove the link if they want to. This was my though after watching the Video.

http://www.ogrish.com/archives/2006/...d_in_video.wmv

Remember the video is graphic!!!

Old 07-10-2006, 09:42 PM   #2
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 12:23 AM
Re: Why must we show restraint to our enemies.

Quote:
Originally posted by Justin24
Why must we show restraint against them and not be allowed to torture or disrepect there bodies, such as cremate them, which is not allowed in the Muslim religion.
Because that would be stooping to their level and further perpetuate the cycle of violence and revenge.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 07-10-2006, 09:43 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

One of the reasons I posted that link is because we have seen videos of what our bombs and soldiers have done to the iraqis. Now we must see what the iraqi insurgents do to our men and woman of the armed forces.
Old 07-10-2006, 09:43 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Does that mean we should allow them to continue as long as we dont stoop to there level?
Old 07-10-2006, 10:05 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:23 AM

Quote:
Is it because we have to many morals and are to good for that.
gang raping a 14 or 15 year old girl

murdering her family including a 5 year old girl

currently there are at least 4 creditable cases where U. S. troops did heinous crimes that were made to look like insurgent deaths and covered up for months

do you think these are the only four?

the Iraqis know better

As for us, we do not have anything to lose. The swimmer in the sea does not fear rain. You have occupied our land, defiled our honour, violated our dignity, shed our blood, ransacked our money, demolished our houses, rendered us homeless, raped our children, and tampered with our security. We will treat you in the same way.
Old 07-10-2006, 10:12 PM   #6
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:23 AM

Quote:

Why must we show restraint against them and not be allowed to torture or disrepect there bodies, such as cremate them, which is not allowed in the Muslim religion.
What would be gained from torturing or cremating their bodies?

Revenge? Make us feel better?
Old 07-10-2006, 10:13 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

What about the heinous crimes insurgent fighters from other countries have done to iraqi civilians. I am sure they have raped and pillaged too. What about the sectorial battles between Sunnis and Shiites? The murders the commit upon them selves is not due to US military internvention but that of terrorist groups who want to get rid of one race of people.
Old 07-10-2006, 10:14 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Re: Re: Why must we show restraint to our enemies.

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

What would be gained from torturing or cremating their bodies?

Revenge? Make us feel better?
Obviously by that video it makes them feel better since it's 100% God Approved.
Old 07-10-2006, 10:20 PM   #9
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Re: Re: Re: Why must we show restraint to our enemies.

Quote:

Obviously by that video it makes them feel better since it's 100% God Approved.
So it will make our soldiers feel better if we allow them to torture?

Seems like a pretty weak argument.
Old 07-10-2006, 10:39 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

If we allowed to do there "job" then these insurgents groups might back off. We shouls follow a lite version of the rules of engagement.
Old 07-10-2006, 10:47 PM   #11
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
If we allowed to do there "job" then these insurgents groups might back off. We shouls follow a lite version of the rules of engagement.
I didn't realize the job of the soldiers were to torture.
Old 07-10-2006, 11:00 PM   #12
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 12:23 AM
Quote:
Does that mean we should allow them to continue as long as we dont stoop to there level?
It means that if you treat people with respect and mercy, you will win goodwill and have a better time stopping those who commit atrocities; if you treat them disrespectfully and torture them, it will only turn more against you and end up worse in the long run.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 07-10-2006, 11:43 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 08:23 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Axver

It means that if you treat people with respect and mercy, you will win goodwill and have a better time stopping those who commit atrocities; if you treat them disrespectfully and torture them, it will only turn more against you and end up worse in the long run.
The way we treat the terrorists, whether humanely or inhumanely, has no effect whatsoever on them. Their goal is to kill as many as they can.
Old 07-10-2006, 11:52 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by Axver

The insurgents don't care. They obviously show no restraint again civilian populations. Look at this past week 41 dead from being shot in the heads and mosque bombings. Where is Allah to punish the wicked.

And to answer your Question BVS. We have soldiers in the military (intelligence) to do that, like they have men in there armies to do such things. But our goal is to destroy them first. With out the uncessesary civilian bloodshed.
Old 07-11-2006, 12:09 AM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 08:23 AM
Quote:
Justin, I think we touched on this same topic a few threads back and I understand your sentiments. I didn't watch the video but I'm sure if I did it would arouse in me the same natural desire to "hit back" so to speak. To make these guys pay for what they did etc, to show them how it feels. It seems, again, you are arguing for action based on heated emotion--grief and rage.

However "right" it might feel to do that, I think we have a responsiblity to what our country stands for to stick to a higher standard. The reality is that we should not "do the same" to them for one simple reason. It's wrong. In fact your very horror at what they did argues that it is wrong. And you know the old saying, "two wrongs don't make a right."

Your above statement implies something that no one is actually supporting. You're asking"should we allow them to continue." Where is ANYone suggesting that we "allow them to continue" beheading? Is this a policy anyone is suggesting? "Let's let the terrorist behead and torture people, because we're not going to do it." This makes no sense at all! There is nothing to be gained by us using their tactics (and I'd grant probably not much to be lost either, since I don't think that will stop them) other than that it will feel "good". That "good feeling" of making them suffer like they did our guys comes at high cost--the cost of our humanity.