Why must we show restraint to our enemies. - Page 14 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-11-2006, 11:58 PM   #196
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,697
Local Time: 09:12 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by JMScoopy
no, my dad did in vietnam and he feels as i do
Well just because he "feels" it is, doesn't mean torture is part of war strategy. There are laws and procedures that speak otherwise.
__________________

__________________
BVS is offline  
Old 07-12-2006, 12:02 AM   #197
Refugee
 
JMScoopy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Near Pittsburgh
Posts: 1,268
Local Time: 10:12 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar


Well just because he "feels" it is, doesn't mean torture is part of war strategy. There are laws and procedures that speak otherwise.
i said it could be a part of war strategy. you've never heard of torture used in war to extract information?
__________________

__________________
My Recordings
http://www.freewebs.com/jmscoopy
JMScoopy is offline  
Old 07-12-2006, 12:19 AM   #198
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator
 
Diemen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Somewhere in middle America
Posts: 13,238
Local Time: 09:12 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by JMScoopy


i said it could be a part of war strategy. you've never heard of torture used in war to extract information?
You've never heard of how unreliable information gleaned from torture is?
__________________
Diemen is offline  
Old 07-12-2006, 12:30 AM   #199
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
maycocksean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: The Most Important State in the Union
Posts: 4,882
Local Time: 10:12 PM
JMScoopy, I was curious as to your response to my question of how you would respond to an invading nation using terrorist methods against our people? Would increase or decrease your will to fight?
__________________
maycocksean is offline  
Old 07-12-2006, 12:30 AM   #200
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 10,881
Local Time: 10:12 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Diemen


You've never heard of how unreliable information gleaned from torture is?
This is what I find shocking....

There is plenty of evidence that it does not work.
__________________
Dreadsox is offline  
Old 07-12-2006, 12:31 AM   #201
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 10,881
Local Time: 10:12 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by JMScoopy
no, my dad did in vietnam and he feels as i do
Then your Dad disagrees with Senator McCain.
__________________
Dreadsox is offline  
Old 07-12-2006, 09:10 AM   #202
Refugee
 
JMScoopy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Near Pittsburgh
Posts: 1,268
Local Time: 10:12 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by maycocksean
JMScoopy, I was curious as to your response to my question of how you would respond to an invading nation using terrorist methods against our people? Would increase or decrease your will to fight?
thats tough to answer, cause that scenario would never happen. the US is about 100 times the size of iraq and our has the best military by far.

but i'd say if the invasion didnt affect my daily life, i'd probably be apathetic. if i knew if i acted up my family and i would be murdered, i probably wouldnt.
__________________
My Recordings
http://www.freewebs.com/jmscoopy
JMScoopy is offline  
Old 07-12-2006, 09:12 AM   #203
Refugee
 
JMScoopy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Near Pittsburgh
Posts: 1,268
Local Time: 10:12 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by JMScoopy


i guess U2 are an authority on war strategy then.
i guess war tactics would've been better choice of words
__________________
My Recordings
http://www.freewebs.com/jmscoopy
JMScoopy is offline  
Old 07-12-2006, 09:16 AM   #204
Refugee
 
JMScoopy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Near Pittsburgh
Posts: 1,268
Local Time: 10:12 PM
double post
__________________
My Recordings
http://www.freewebs.com/jmscoopy
JMScoopy is offline  
Old 07-12-2006, 11:20 AM   #205
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator
 
Diemen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Somewhere in middle America
Posts: 13,238
Local Time: 09:12 PM
So JMS, are you still in favor of torturing our enemy even though information gleaned from torturing has proven to be much less helpful/reliable than information gleaned from building an atmosphere of trust/kindness?
__________________
Diemen is offline  
Old 07-12-2006, 11:32 AM   #206
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 10,881
Local Time: 10:12 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Diemen
So JMS, are you still in favor of torturing our enemy even though information gleaned from torturing has proven to be much less helpful/reliable than information gleaned from building an atmosphere of trust/kindness?
I was thinking....it is not just that it does not work....it causes other resources to be used chasing down false leads.....and that does nothing to help us fight the evil doers.
__________________
Dreadsox is offline  
Old 07-12-2006, 11:40 AM   #207
Blue Crack Addict
 
verte76's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: hoping for changes
Posts: 23,331
Local Time: 03:12 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar


Well just because he "feels" it is, doesn't mean torture is part of war strategy. There are laws and procedures that speak otherwise.

Yeah, who is anyone to put themselves above the law?
__________________
verte76 is offline  
Old 07-12-2006, 02:10 PM   #208
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
maycocksean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: The Most Important State in the Union
Posts: 4,882
Local Time: 10:12 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by JMScoopy


thats tough to answer, cause that scenario would never happen. the US is about 100 times the size of iraq and our has the best military by far.

but i'd say if the invasion didnt affect my daily life, i'd probably be apathetic. if i knew if i acted up my family and i would be murdered, i probably wouldnt.
Fair enough. So suffice it to say that if you'd been living in say Occupied France during World War II you wouldn't have been part of the resistance. You would have cooperated with (or at least not actively opposed) the Nazi occupiers.

Understand, I'm not trying to yank your chain, here. I'm just trying to see if you really believe what you say do.

Here's the thing--the very thing that makes you so horrified, so angry at these terrorists behavior argues that this kind of behavior is not what our country is about. I imagine you'll be quick to say, yeah but the U.S. is not Nazi Germany. And I would say, exactly. We don't want to become like that, and that's why we choose not engage in the same inhuman tactics used by our enemies. Note we did not need to use Nazi tactics to defeat the Nazis.
__________________
maycocksean is offline  
Old 07-12-2006, 02:15 PM   #209
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
Justin24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: San Mateo
Posts: 6,716
Local Time: 08:12 PM
I have a question. With all the acts we do to each other, Murder, Rape, etc... What gives us Hope that we will change and stop such acts, like beheadings, Tortuing,etc..
__________________
Justin24 is offline  
Old 07-12-2006, 02:25 PM   #210
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,697
Local Time: 09:12 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Justin24
I have a question. With all the acts we do to each other, Murder, Rape, etc... What gives us Hope that we will change and stop such acts, like beheadings, Tortuing,etc..
We do our best to be human beings and provide a moral model for others.
__________________

__________________
BVS is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com