Why isn't this guy a terrorist?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

anitram

Blue Crack Addict
Story here.

A man who told police he made a pipe bomb to attack an abortion clinic was arrested Thursday, shortly before the device went off in a friend’s home while authorities tried to disable it, according to court documents.

According to an ATF affidavit, Weiler planned to bomb an abortion clinic in Greenbelt and use a .40-caliber handgun he had stolen from a friend to “shoot doctors who provided abortions.”

Weiler faces four federal counts including making a destructive device and possessing an illegal handgun. He was being held Thursday.

If this was a young, Muslim male who made a bomb and wanted to plant it in a government building to kill some public servants, he'd be slapped with terrorism charges.

Why is this different?

BonosSaint said:
He's a freedom fighter.

I don't agree with abortion, although in some cases it might be justified(remember the case in Ireland, when a young underage girl was raped), but this guy is prepared to kill to prevent abortion, call me ignorant but, I fail to see how he can be anything other than a murdering terrorist.

He's a terrorist. Seem's pretty plain to me.

Perhaps he escaped the charges because he's a non-Muslim, white U.S. citizen?

Does anyone recall what Timothy McVeigh was charged with? Were there terrorism charges involved?

Terrorism is usually the "dark, bearded Other". When it's homegrown, the guy is just a nutcase.

Is John Allen Muhammed considered a terrorist? Was Taheri-Azer plotting a terrorist attack of sorts. I don't see a double standard.

anitram said:
Story here.

If this was a young, Muslim male who made a bomb and wanted to plant it in a government building to kill some public servants, he'd be slapped with terrorism charges.

Why is this different?

Not sure why! But this guy is definately a terrorist according to the definition below:

violent action targetting civilians exclusively. Another definition is the use or threatened use of violence for the purpose of creating fear in order to achieve a political, economic, religious, or ideological goal.

Last edited:
toscano said:

Like Timothy McVeigh wasn't convicted of a terrorist act ?

Yeah, that was my question. Was Timothy McVeigh convicted of a terrorist attack? I honestly can't remember.

From the sentencing transcripts:

"Timothy James McVeigh, pursuant to the jury verdict returned on June 2, 1997, finding you guilty on all 11 counts of the indictment, the defendant is adjudged guilty of each of the following offenses: A conspiracy to use a weapon of mass destruction as charged in Count One, the use of a weapon of mass destruction as charged in Count Two, destruction by explosive as charged in Count Three, and first degree murder as charged in Counts Four through Eleven..."

Back
Top Bottom