Why is Kofi blocking the Food for Oil investigation?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When my sister was in Ukraine in 2002 there were reports in the Kyiv (Kiev) press that some Ukrainian businesses were involved in activities with Iraq that violated the terms of the sanctions. Also, there was a demonstration in Kyiv against the increasing autocracy and alleged corruption within the government. A complete investigation might prove to be an embarrassment for many involved.

bullet1973 said:

It's difficult to listen to pro-Bushies talk about how much money these countries stood to lose without reaching for the sick bucket. The words pot, kettle and black spring to mind. Are u telling me that Bush, Cheney and their big corporate pals are NOT going to profit from this war? And are u telling me that the US has never profited from doing business with Saddam??

The blood of american soldiers in Iraq is on the hands of your own government. These troops were sent to Iraq to accommodate the grand plans of a few fat cats at the top. They weren't sent there for any other reason. This is obviously an uncomfortable truth for u but u should try and deal with it.
:shrug:

For the record, I'm a liberal who voted for Kerry and demonstrated against the Iraq war. I think they're onto something here with this cover-up stuff. Two wrongs don't make a right. There's not a political entity or body on God's green earth that's not guilty of serious screw-ups. That's the way I look at it.

Last edited:
Dread-- thanks for the links. Pretty damning stuff.

But what's with the shrugging shouders to bullet's post? The same corrpution is going on now with a new guy in charge of it. Why do you think we're not making Iraq pay back the money we are giving them with their oil revenue? Do you know how quick we could get that $87 billion back from Iraq's oil revenue? And if that's not what's going on, where is the present oil money going? Try companies that Bush and Cheney are friendly with -- namely Halliburton. The sad thing is that this money should be going to the Iraqi people. Instead it went from Saddam's UN cronies to the Bush administration's business cronies. Black money will do strange things to everyone.

In the meantime, this whole thing should continue to be investigated and brought to the general public. The Journal and the Times, both of which you cited Dread, are considered conservative publications and in the case of the Times, it's not taken seriously. This is one of the those times when the media needs to get its ass in gear and stop covering for the president and the UN. what happened to investigative journalism?

I posted a TON of links, not just those two......

And if you wish to start a thread about Bush and Cheney, go ahead.......

This is about Food for OIL.

Thanks..

On those lists you'll find there are several US oil companies involved (big ones like Chevron and Mobil) and about a dozen UK oil companies as well.

I think you'll find it may just 'go away' because everyone had their hand in the pie in some way or another.....

I'll debate it -- Earnie is right. There are so many people with hands in the cookie jar that no one is going to investigate this for fear they will be found out. Everyone asks like France is this big boogie many for having oil for food dollars in its banks. How are we any different? You think the money they are making off Iraqi oil is going into the pockets of Iraqis? Think again.

I apologise but I am in awe

FUCK
21 BILLION DOLLARS
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Saddam Hussein (news - web sites)'s regime reaped over $21 billion from kickbacks and smuggling before and during the now-defunct U.N. oil-for-food program, twice as much as previous estimates, according to a U.S. Senate probe on Monday.
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=564&ncid=564&e=2&u=/nm/20041115/ts_nm/iraq_oil_probe_dc

That is a lot of money, that is a hell of a lot of money.

That money went to the regime, that money is probably keeping some criminals very safe and helping to buy weapons.

Naturally, we all believed him. If you can't trust a guy who gasses his own people, who can you trust?

Ant.

diamond said:
and al the left fyminders believed saddam.

db9

Since when does not supporting the war mean that we're having a lovefest with Saddam? I saw some recent figures that if the high end of the projected civilian deaths are correct, by the end of the year more civilians would have been killed in this war than in the entire Saddam regime. What does that say about us?

sharky said:

Since when does not supporting the war mean that we're having a lovefest with Saddam? I saw some recent figures that if the high end of the projected civilian deaths are correct, by the end of the year more civilians would have been killed in this war than in the entire Saddam regime. What does that say about us?

I would say it is wrong to say people were in favor of Saddam.
I would also say I do not believe your figures, and would love to see them in another thread.

sharky said:

I find that stat very hard to believe.

But if it is true, the difference is that Saddam killed and tortured intentionally. Contrary to what you may believe, Pres. Bush and his military commanders are not sitting there looking for civilians to torture and kill. Instead the terrorists are using the innocents as human shields and blowing them up with car bombs.

Let's keep it real.

Dreadsox said:

I would say it is wrong to say people were in favor of Saddam.
I would also say I do not believe your figures, and would love to see them in another thread.

perhaps wrong.
what's even worse was giving Saddam the benifit of the doubt, which was my point, which many here did..

2ndly I remember the hand wringing on the left before the war- The left were predicting 10,000-20,000 US soldiers would die in the initail battle.
We only lost approx 100-200 intailly.
So far only 1100-1200 US soldiers have died and were into our 2nd year here, looking to secure the country and get out.

All the while trying to spare as much innocent life as possible.
The left still predictaby laments the progress.

db9

Last edited:
"Only"? I don't think the families see it that way. I don't see it that way either.

When are we looking to get out? I don't see W talking about that at all :|

W has said, we will get out when it's time and not leave the job unfinished.
so he has talked of getting out, but it's not going to be on a partisan watch.

db9

What exactly constitutes the job being finished accdg to W? I'm not trying to be sarcastic, I just don't think I've ever heard him articulate a clear and concise answer to this.

I'm so sick of people dying over there, as simplistic as that may be.

UN staff to vote on no-confidence motion against Annan

UN staff are expected to make an unprecedented vote of no confidence in Secretary-General Kofi Annan, union sources say, after a series of scandals tainted his term in charge of the world body.

The UN staff union, in what officials said was the first vote of its kind in the almost 60-year history of the United Nations, was set to approve a resolution withdrawing support for Annan and senior UN management.

Annan has been in the line of fire over a series of scandals including controversy about a UN aid program that investigators say allowed deposed Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein to embezzle billions of dollars.

Staffers said the trigger for the no-confidence measure was an announcement this week that Annan had pardoned the UN's top oversight official, who was facing allegations of favouritism and sexual harassment.

The union had requested a formal probe into the official, Dileep Nair, after employees accused him of harassing staff and violating UN rules on the hiring and promotion of workers.

Top UN spokesman Fred Eckhard announced on Tuesday that Nair had been exonerated by Annan "after a thorough review" by the UN's senior official in charge of management, Catherine Bertini.

Annan underlined that he "had every confidence" in Nair, Eckhard said, but UN employees ridiculed the decision and claimed that investigators had not questioned the staff union, which first raised the complaints in April.

"This was a whitewash, pure and simple," Guy Candusso, a senior member of the staff union, told AFP.

Candusso noted that Eckhard's declaration to the press had said that "no further action was necessary in the matter."

But in a letter sent to the union, a copy of which was obtained by AFP, Annan's chief of staff Iqbal Riza said Nair had been "advised that he should exercise caution" in future to "minimize the risk of negative perception."

In a resolution set to be adopted on Friday, the union said Riza's statement "substantiates the contention of the staff that there was impropriety" and that there exists "a lack of integrity, particularly at the higher levels of the organisation."

The draft resolution, also obtained by AFP, calls on the union president to "convey this vote of no confidence to the secretary general."

Staffers who asked not to be named, afraid that speaking out could damage their future in the United Nations, said the Nair decision was an example of corruption by Annan and his senior staff.

They noted that Riza, UN undersecretary general for information Shashi Tharoor and other top officials had served directly under Annan at least since 1994, when he was head of UN peacekeeping operations.

At the time, the United Nations was widely criticized for failing to stop the Rwanda genocide that left 800,000 people dead, even though UN peacekeepers were on the ground -- a catastrophe for which Annan has publicly apologized.

Annan could not be reached for immediate comment. He is currently in Africa on a mission aimed at ending the long-running civil war in Sudan.

But he faces unprecedented calls to resign over the burgeoning scandal about "oil-for-food," a UN aid scheme that US investigators say allowed Saddam to siphon off billions of dollars.

The program has tainted UN officials like Benon Sevan, who oversaw the operation and is now accused of pocketing Saddam's money in exchange for turning a blind eye to the Iraqi dictator's abuses.

Annan stands accused of obstructing US investigators, especially since his hand-picked official Paul Volcker this week rejected calls from the US Senate to turn over documents from the program and waive UN staff immunity.

Eckhard, his spokesman, on Thursday said that Annan is expected to serve out his term, which ends in 2006.

Veteran UN staff said this was the first time that employees had risen up to make a vote of no confidence in a sitting secretary general.

"Kofi Annan is surrounded by corruption, a gang of criminals responsible for some of the worst things that happened to mankind in the 20th century," said one angry staffer, referring to the Rwanda massacres.

"It's possible that he doesn't know directly what has gone on," said the employee, who has worked for the United Nations for two decades. "But that's no excuse."

Back
Top Bottom