Why is Kofi blocking the Food for Oil investigation? - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-16-2004, 05:32 AM   #46
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:51 PM
I'll speak for myself, but diamond, I'll be damned if it was a matter of me trusting Saddam. I always said the guy was a .

Old 11-16-2004, 08:24 AM   #47
New Yorker

Local Time: 01:51 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by diamond
and al the left fyminders believed saddam.

db9
Since when does not supporting the war mean that we're having a lovefest with Saddam? I saw some recent figures that if the high end of the projected civilian deaths are correct, by the end of the year more civilians would have been killed in this war than in the entire Saddam regime. What does that say about us?

Old 11-16-2004, 09:15 AM   #48
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by sharky

Since when does not supporting the war mean that we're having a lovefest with Saddam? I saw some recent figures that if the high end of the projected civilian deaths are correct, by the end of the year more civilians would have been killed in this war than in the entire Saddam regime. What does that say about us?
I would say it is wrong to say people were in favor of Saddam.
I would also say I do not believe your figures, and would love to see them in another thread.
Old 11-16-2004, 09:22 AM   #49
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by sharky

I find that stat very hard to believe.

But if it is true, the difference is that Saddam killed and tortured intentionally. Contrary to what you may believe, Pres. Bush and his military commanders are not sitting there looking for civilians to torture and kill. Instead the terrorists are using the innocents as human shields and blowing them up with car bombs.

Let's keep it real.
Old 11-17-2004, 05:08 AM   #50
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:51 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox

I would say it is wrong to say people were in favor of Saddam.
I would also say I do not believe your figures, and would love to see them in another thread.
perhaps wrong.
what's even worse was giving Saddam the benifit of the doubt, which was my point, which many here did..

2ndly I remember the hand wringing on the left before the war- The left were predicting 10,000-20,000 US soldiers would die in the initail battle.
We only lost approx 100-200 intailly.
So far only 1100-1200 US soldiers have died and were into our 2nd year here, looking to secure the country and get out.

All the while trying to spare as much innocent life as possible.
The left still predictaby laments the progress.

db9
Old 11-17-2004, 05:15 AM   #51
Blue Crack Addict

"Only"? I don't think the families see it that way. I don't see it that way either.

When are we looking to get out? I don't see W talking about that at all
Old 11-17-2004, 07:56 AM   #52
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:51 AM
W has said, we will get out when it's time and not leave the job unfinished.
so he has talked of getting out, but it's not going to be on a partisan watch.

db9
Old 11-17-2004, 08:15 AM   #53
Blue Crack Addict

What exactly constitutes the job being finished accdg to W? I'm not trying to be sarcastic, I just don't think I've ever heard him articulate a clear and concise answer to this.

I'm so sick of people dying over there, as simplistic as that may be.
Old 11-17-2004, 11:31 AM   #54
The Fly

To try to get back on the topic of Oil for Food here are a couple more links that are interesting...

http://www.opinionjournal.com/column.../?id=110005904

http://pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune-.../s_273762.html

http://washingtontimes.com/national/...0708-9030r.htm
Old 11-17-2004, 11:45 AM   #55
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
What exactly constitutes the job being finished accdg to W? I'm not trying to be sarcastic, I just don't think I've ever heard him articulate a clear and concise answer to this.

I'm so sick of people dying over there, as simplistic as that may be.
Wal Marts and Mickey D's all around Iraq...
Old 11-19-2004, 03:55 PM   #56
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:51 AM
Quote:
UN staff to vote on no-confidence motion against Annan

UN staff are expected to make an unprecedented vote of no confidence in Secretary-General Kofi Annan, union sources say, after a series of scandals tainted his term in charge of the world body.

The UN staff union, in what officials said was the first vote of its kind in the almost 60-year history of the United Nations, was set to approve a resolution withdrawing support for Annan and senior UN management.

Annan has been in the line of fire over a series of scandals including controversy about a UN aid program that investigators say allowed deposed Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein to embezzle billions of dollars.

Staffers said the trigger for the no-confidence measure was an announcement this week that Annan had pardoned the UN's top oversight official, who was facing allegations of favouritism and sexual harassment.

The union had requested a formal probe into the official, Dileep Nair, after employees accused him of harassing staff and violating UN rules on the hiring and promotion of workers.

Top UN spokesman Fred Eckhard announced on Tuesday that Nair had been exonerated by Annan "after a thorough review" by the UN's senior official in charge of management, Catherine Bertini.

Annan underlined that he "had every confidence" in Nair, Eckhard said, but UN employees ridiculed the decision and claimed that investigators had not questioned the staff union, which first raised the complaints in April.

"This was a whitewash, pure and simple," Guy Candusso, a senior member of the staff union, told AFP.

Candusso noted that Eckhard's declaration to the press had said that "no further action was necessary in the matter."

But in a letter sent to the union, a copy of which was obtained by AFP, Annan's chief of staff Iqbal Riza said Nair had been "advised that he should exercise caution" in future to "minimize the risk of negative perception."

In a resolution set to be adopted on Friday, the union said Riza's statement "substantiates the contention of the staff that there was impropriety" and that there exists "a lack of integrity, particularly at the higher levels of the organisation."

The draft resolution, also obtained by AFP, calls on the union president to "convey this vote of no confidence to the secretary general."

Staffers who asked not to be named, afraid that speaking out could damage their future in the United Nations, said the Nair decision was an example of corruption by Annan and his senior staff.

They noted that Riza, UN undersecretary general for information Shashi Tharoor and other top officials had served directly under Annan at least since 1994, when he was head of UN peacekeeping operations.

At the time, the United Nations was widely criticized for failing to stop the Rwanda genocide that left 800,000 people dead, even though UN peacekeepers were on the ground -- a catastrophe for which Annan has publicly apologized.

Annan could not be reached for immediate comment. He is currently in Africa on a mission aimed at ending the long-running civil war in Sudan.

But he faces unprecedented calls to resign over the burgeoning scandal about "oil-for-food," a UN aid scheme that US investigators say allowed Saddam to siphon off billions of dollars.

The program has tainted UN officials like Benon Sevan, who oversaw the operation and is now accused of pocketing Saddam's money in exchange for turning a blind eye to the Iraqi dictator's abuses.

Annan stands accused of obstructing US investigators, especially since his hand-picked official Paul Volcker this week rejected calls from the US Senate to turn over documents from the program and waive UN staff immunity.

Eckhard, his spokesman, on Thursday said that Annan is expected to serve out his term, which ends in 2006.

Veteran UN staff said this was the first time that employees had risen up to make a vote of no confidence in a sitting secretary general.

"Kofi Annan is surrounded by corruption, a gang of criminals responsible for some of the worst things that happened to mankind in the 20th century," said one angry staffer, referring to the Rwanda massacres.

"It's possible that he doesn't know directly what has gone on," said the employee, who has worked for the United Nations for two decades. "But that's no excuse."
Old 11-19-2004, 03:59 PM   #57
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:51 AM