Why Is Gay Marriage Wrong? - Page 22 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-19-2008, 02:49 PM   #316
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:52 PM
Gay marriage isn't wrong. The politicians are using stupid religious stuff to keep gays from marrying. This pisses me off dammit!

Old 04-19-2008, 10:54 PM   #317
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by melon

There's a rather conservative book out there called, "The Closing of the American Mind," by the late Allan Bloom. tolerate bigotry. Period.
So, I ordered this book via Amazon.

I have a vast collection of books both of liberal thought and consevative thought.

My question to you is would you read a book I think could be enlightening to you?

Would you be openminded and free and thinking enough to read a book that I think could benefit you?

I will be happy to correspond via PM if you wish re this matter.

Let me know.

<>

Old 04-19-2008, 11:05 PM   #318
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by martha

Except the thing that they want.

You've decided this, so others have to live by your decision.

Your constant harping about "civil rights" makes your posts and your opinions laughable. Especially when you bring up men who have sex with animals and then wonder why you have no credibility when you babble on about your ideas about "civil rights". You're offensive and smug. I agree with melon: I have no idea why you're allowed to post most of the shit you post.
You missed the point of the horse post by a mile, but I digress and will address that on another day.

I didn't decide what the definition of marriage was, ppl did 6000 years ago and it's been so thru out recorded history, so get over it.

You want to change it, you are in the minority and if you want to change the meaning of the word, this can occur thru a orderly legal process. That's how we do things in America.

I do think the Gay culture would move forward more quickly if it wasn't an all or nothing issue that you're proposing here. Cultures evolve incrementally. If it's meant to be it will happen in due time-not my schreeching and using profanity.

Quote:
I noticed that you carefully avoided Sean's post. An uncharacteristically wise decision for you.
Sean and I have a mutually respectable online relationship here, try as you may, you'll never see Sean and I mixing it up.

<>
Old 04-20-2008, 01:48 AM   #319
She's the One

Local Time: 05:52 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by diamond
if you want to change the meaning of the word, this can occur thru a orderly legal process. That's how we do things in America.
Um. That's what's happening right now.
Old 04-20-2008, 01:50 AM   #320
She's the One

Local Time: 05:52 AM
Quote:
Sean and I have a mutually respectable online relationship here,
Meaning he talks to you, but you ignore him?
Old 04-20-2008, 03:10 AM   #321
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

Um. That's what's happening right now.
In America yes, in this thread, no.

<>
Old 04-20-2008, 09:58 PM   #322
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 08:52 AM
Quote:

Meaning he talks to you, but you ignore him?
:chuckle:
Old 04-20-2008, 11:11 PM   #323
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
You missed the point of the horse post by a mile, but I digress and will address that on another day.

I didn't decide what the definition of marriage was, ppl did 6000 years ago and it's been so thru out recorded history, so get over it.

You want to change it, you are in the minority and if you want to change the meaning of the word, this can occur thru a orderly legal process. That's how we do things in America.

I do think the Gay culture would move forward more quickly if it wasn't an all or nothing issue that you're proposing here. Cultures evolve incrementally. If it's meant to be it will happen in due time-not my schreeching and using profanity.
You know, diamond, although I do not agree with what you are saying here, if you would discuss calmly like this in all of your threads in FYM (as this isn't exactly a humorous place), I could, at least, respect what you have to say.

So take this as my advice to you.
Old 04-20-2008, 11:39 PM   #324
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
So, I ordered this book via Amazon.

I have a vast collection of books both of liberal thought and consevative thought.

My question to you is would you read a book I think could be enlightening to you?

Would you be openminded and free and thinking enough to read a book that I think could benefit you?

I will be happy to correspond via PM if you wish re this matter.

Let me know.
Enjoy the book. One thing I hope is that you don't treat the book like the "gospel truth," and use it as a springboard for future reading in classical Western philosophy.

A couple of things I'd like to mention about Bloom. He was a neocon, inasmuch as he was one of Leo Strauss' students, but he stated once that he didn't necessarily consider himself to be a conservative, in the modern Republican sense. Nonetheless, consistently Straussian views, if one is familiar with them, is prevalent throughout the book.

Another thing that's interesting is that it was posthumously revealed that Bloom was gay, as noted by his old friend, Saul Bellow (who wrote the preface to Bloom's book you're about to read, and wrote extensively about Bloom and his private life in last novel, Ravelstein).

Overall, though, both Strauss and Bloom were academics, above all, and, like any philosophy teacher, they would not want one to merely absorb this material and just regurgitate it. That's what one would expect from an acolyte of Ayn Rand (whose beliefs Bloom dismisses as "pseudo-philosophy"). Instead, I believe the challenge is to take this knowledge, be free to critically analyze it as one wishes, and then be free to rip it to pieces--as long as one has the right argument and research to back it up.

Nonetheless, I think this is a very interesting wing of 20th century political philosophy that is both overlooked (because it is conservative, rather than liberal) and misunderstood (in light of the neoconservative "War on Terror" and its various missteps). So, as I said in the beginning, enjoy the book.

Feel free to share the book you'd like me to read. I can't promise that I'll have time to read it right away, if only because I'm in a terribly hectic time in my life right now, and I don't have time to read much of anything at the moment!
Old 04-21-2008, 07:24 PM   #325
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

Enjoy the book. One thing I hope is that you don't treat the book like the "gospel truth," and use it as a springboard for future reading in classical Western philosophy.

A couple of things I'd like to mention about Bloom. He was a neocon, .

Another thing that's interesting is that it was posthumously revealed that Bloom was gay,

So, as I said in the beginning, enjoy the book.

Feel free to share the book you'd like me to read.
Melon-

It should arrive in the next 5-10 days via Amazon. I find it mildly amusing that this book cost me a penny but Jonathan Livingston Seagull ran me a 1.49 on Amazon.

I don't take anything as Gospel written by mortal men these days, I've lived long enough to experience the disappointment in doing so; I will take it as a view point written by an intelligent gentleman.

The term "Neocon" to me as a conservative rubs me uncomfortablely by the structure of the word itself, it conjures up other neo words and movements such as neo Nazis etc.

I think Gay conservatives make the best conservatives because their organic and possibly learned orientation is secondary to their polictical thought processes, in other words they think outside of the box.

I will let you know what I think of the book later, reading good books is my night cap before dozng off-as I don't consume alcohol.

I'll PM you later re the other book.

Cheers-

<>
Old 04-21-2008, 07:35 PM   #326
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

You know, diamond, although I do not agree with what you are saying here, if you would discuss calmly like this in all of your threads in FYM (as this isn't exactly a humorous place), I could, at least, respect what you have to say.

So take this as my advice to you.
Advice taken, however for some of us if we don't inject humor into a heated discussion our heads are liable to explode, I'm merely trying to prevent that.

<>
Old 04-21-2008, 07:39 PM   #327
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

I think Gay conservatives make the best conservatives because their organic and possibly learned orientation is secondary to their polictical thought processes, in other words they think outside of the box.

when did you learn to be straight?
Old 04-21-2008, 07:59 PM   #328
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 01:52 PM
Quote:
It just occurred to me. Mr. Civil Rights is really advocating separate but equal. So much for any civil rights arguments from here on out.
There was another thread about this several weeks ago, and though I hesitate to poke my head into any thread where horses and polygamy occupy the same space, I am curious if anyone can answer the question of whether marriage itself is a civil right.

Because if we are going to give marriage civil right status, then, legally speaking, there are a host of alternative lifestyles that might clamor for the same opportunity....as this thread has proven.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:18 PM   #329
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

when did you learn to be straight?
i forget but found is was far less complicated this way.

<>
Old 04-23-2008, 12:07 AM   #330
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by VintagePunk

Good luck to your daughter!
On a side note she did very well.
She's one of the fastest 9th grade girls in the city of Mesa, Az.
She also scored 2nd in High Jump.
This was a city track meet with 10 Jr High Schools participating.

She's being courted now by the High School track coach next door from her Jr High to run Varsity Track. She juggles track and field, club soccer, school soccer, violin a 4.0 GPA and being my daughter, all at the same time-dont know how the kid does it.

Out of curiousity I googled her first and last name plus the word track, and she was on top of the Google.Com-lead entry.

Oh dear.

<>