Why Is Gay Marriage Wrong? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-12-2008, 09:09 PM   #16
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:27 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by martha

You didn't give a reason.
marriage is already has a definition, no need to morph it into something else.

if ppl of the same gender want to be viewed in a commited long term relationship partnership call it anything but marriage because marriage already has a defintion.

call it:

committed companions
unioned companions

or some other variation, not marriage though- as that word is already defined and taken.

<>

Old 04-12-2008, 10:28 PM   #17
Jesus Online

Local Time: 05:27 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by diamond

But diamond, there is a need to redefine it. Gay people do not have to hide or change who they are anymore. Gay people are a part of every community the world over. We're all accepting that now, surely. They are there, and they are there to stay. We do need to redefine what marriage means. It is reaching the point where you cannot keep denying gay folk the same opportunities as others. We don't accept this kind of discrimination anymore in other avenues. Sex discrimination is no different when you equalise all humans and all rights. Logic dictates this, so let the logic speak to you.

Insitutions, words, social norms, etc, are all ever-changing. Marriage is just another one. Time to join the rest of us in the modern world where there are gay people who are not going anywhere.... Unless you want to be a bigot, that is?

Old 04-12-2008, 11:31 PM   #18
Refugee

Local Time: 01:27 PM
Yes deep, that is what I mean. Same benefits for all domestic partnerships.
Old 04-13-2008, 01:18 AM   #19
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem

Unless you want to be a bigot, that is?
So says you.

<>
Old 04-13-2008, 01:27 AM   #20
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:27 PM
Quote:

This is a pretty weak argument, in fact it's downright lazy...

Anyone who knows anything about American history knows defintions change and the constitution changes...
Old 04-13-2008, 03:16 AM   #21
Jesus Online

Quote:

So says you.

<>
Denial doesn't absolve you.
Old 04-13-2008, 07:24 AM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 07:27 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem

But diamond, there is a need to redefine it. Gay people do not have to hide or change who they are anymore. Gay people are a part of every community the world over. We're all accepting that now, surely. They are there, and they are there to stay. We do need to redefine what marriage means. It is reaching the point where you cannot keep denying gay folk the same opportunities as others. We don't accept this kind of discrimination anymore in other avenues. Sex discrimination is no different when you equalise all humans and all rights. Logic dictates this, so let the logic speak to you.

Insitutions, words, social norms, etc, are all ever-changing. Marriage is just another one. Time to join the rest of us in the modern world where there are gay people who are not going anywhere.... Unless you want to be a bigot, that is?
Old 04-13-2008, 08:17 AM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 06:27 PM
Gay people have the right to be as miserable as the rest of us.
No doubt those who are against same sex marriage believe its against " god's will ".
Old 04-13-2008, 08:21 AM   #24
Jesus Online

Problem with that of course is that marriage exists for people without religion too, so whatever god wants is not even really a relevant argument.
Old 04-13-2008, 10:49 AM   #25
She's the One

Local Time: 10:27 AM
So the only secular argument against gay marriage so far is the that word has already been defined?

What a stellar reason to deny rights to people.
Old 04-13-2008, 10:55 AM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

Marriage already has a "definition" because straight people have given it one, and not very successfully, in many cases, it seems But of course numerous failed straight marriages trump any gay marriage any day of the week, cause they fit the definition and all that

Gay people deserve to get married every bit as much as straight people do in order to seal and celebrate their commitment to one another, which is the main ideal reason straight people get married I assume.
Old 04-13-2008, 11:12 AM   #27
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:27 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by martha
So the only secular argument against gay marriage so far is the that word has already been defined?

What a stellar reason to deny rights to people.
Actually it is perfectly secular to take pride in fucking over the outgroup, it affirms your normality, and I don't think that is a bad reason in and of itself.
Old 04-13-2008, 11:43 AM   #28
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
Marriage already has a "definition" because straight people have given it one, and not very successfully, in many cases, it seems But of course numerous failed straight marriages trump any gay marriage any day of the week, cause they fit the definition and all that

Gay people deserve to get married every bit as much as straight people do in order to seal and celebrate their commitment to one another, which is the main ideal reason straight people get married I assume.
Gay ppl can't get "married" but can have a long term committed relationship as married ppl do. Nobody in this thread is objecting to that.

That said:

1- I don't think the main reason people get married is to "celebrate their commitment to one another" it's one of the reasons, apparently you do as well as most secularists I suppose think it's a main reason -it appears based on yours and others posts.

2-It will be interesting to see once gay committed relationships become legalized to track their success rate compared to the "bigoted" married crowd.

Get to me once the data starts to trickle in and we may have something to chat about.

thanks-
<>
Old 04-13-2008, 12:03 PM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 07:27 PM
If this page got its facts right, homosexual couples wouldn't have to worry about any comparison: http://www.religioustolerance.org/chr_dira.htm
Old 04-13-2008, 12:12 PM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

Gay ppl can't get "married" but can have a long term committed relationship as married ppl do. Nobody in this thread is objecting to that.

That said:

1- I don't think the main reason people get married is to "celebrate their commitment to one another" it's one of the reasons, apparently you do as well as most secularists I suppose think it's a main reason -it appears based on yours and others posts.

2-It will be interesting to see once gay committed relationships become legalized to track their success rate compared to the "bigoted" married crowd.

Get to me once the data starts to trickle in and we may have something to chat about.

Lol, you call me a "secularist" because I believe that? I consider myself to be a pretty religious person, even though you may not-it's ok Personally I just don't believe that religion should be used to deny human beings rights. So what is the main reason you think people get married? To have kids? What about people who don't want kids or can't physically have them? They shouldn't get married then, right?

Of course gay people can have children, there are ways and of course there's adoption, which is every bit as "legit" as the God created way.

Gay marriages have been very successful so far in MA, and of course MA has the LOWEST divorce rate in the US..