Why Is Gay Marriage Wrong? - Page 13 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-15-2008, 01:51 PM   #181
She's the One

Local Time: 01:27 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by acrobatique

I believe that the definition should further be expanded to allow bisexual people to marry my partners of like orientation. You don't seem to agree.

I think you're hypocritical, and that's basically what my argument amounts to.
And some Christians will take that very same argument and want to include minor children and animals and use it against you.

Old 04-15-2008, 01:52 PM   #182

Local Time: 04:27 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by martha

Are the partners just there to satisfy the bisexual person who owns them? Do they have other partners to met their needs? Is the female partner strictly lesbian? Is the male partner strictly straight? Are they happy with their secondary, split roles in this "relationship"?

Denying gay men and lesbians the right to marry because you want a permanent threesome is indeed "splitting hairs." You can advocate for the kinds of relationships you want, but it's disingenuous to deny gay and lesbian couples the right to marry because you can't marry two people.
Considering that you actually believe that in my little example I was saying that I really wanted to deny them this right...well, there's not alot I can really say to someone with such apparently limited perceptive abilities, I'm sorry.

Old 04-15-2008, 01:53 PM   #183

Quote:

And some Christians will take that very same argument and want to include minor children and animals and use it against you.
Are you for real? There is a distinct and significant difference. I'm sure Irvine knows what it is, you might want to research it a bit, but it is indeed a secular and legal concept.

Hint: it starts with the letter "C"
Old 04-15-2008, 01:57 PM   #184

Quote:

Are the partners just there to satisfy the bisexual person who owns them? Do they have other partners to met their needs? Is the female partner strictly lesbian? Is the male partner strictly straight? Are they happy with their secondary, split roles in this "relationship"?
Exactly what business is it of yours? They are all consenting adults who want to affirm their love for each other. What more do you want? Do you interrogate your gay friend similarly? Talk about "ick"!
Old 04-15-2008, 01:57 PM   #185
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:27 PM
Quote:

I believe that the definition should further be expanded to allow bisexual people to marry my partners of like orientation. You don't seem to agree.

I think you're hypocritical, and that's basically what my argument amounts to.
The problem with your scenarios of bisexuals is they don't explore the issues of consent, does the husband have to legally consent with the "other" wife? Does he legally marry the "other" wife? It also doesn't consider the legal and monetary issues, not to mention paternity issues.
Old 04-15-2008, 01:59 PM   #186

Quote:

Nice assumptions for a newbie who has no idea who's who here and what we've been fighting to change.

Good job.
You realize that everything in that sentence was sarcastic, including the 'us', right?

Please tell me you do realize that.
Old 04-15-2008, 02:00 PM   #187
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

They are all consenting adults who want to affirm their love for each other.
Not exactly...
Old 04-15-2008, 02:01 PM   #188

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

Not exactly...
Again, how the hell would you know this?
Old 04-15-2008, 02:03 PM   #189
She's the One

Local Time: 01:27 PM
Quote:

You realize that everything in that sentence was sarcastic, including the 'us', right?

Please tell me you do realize that.
Your posts are argumentative, condescending, assume things that may or may not be true about posters, and frequently use anger and bitterness. You burst on the scene here in FYM with strident, combative posts, and made no attempt to find out who people were and what their beliefs are.

So, no. I guess I missed the carefully constructed sarcasm.
Old 04-15-2008, 02:06 PM   #190
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

Again, how the hell would you know this?
Let's say a man marries a woman, that woman later on wants to marry a woman as well. So does the man have a legal say? Does he stand up and say I do? What if they don't get along, does he have the right to divorce the "other" wife?

As a newbie you may want to lay off the condescending laughs especailly when you haven't answered these questions, if you ever want to get respect.
Old 04-15-2008, 02:08 PM   #191

Quote:

The problem with your scenarios of bisexuals is they don't explore the issues of consent, does the husband have to legally consent with the "other" wife? Does he legally marry the "other" wife? It also doesn't consider the legal and monetary issues, not to mention paternity issues.
You know for sake of argument and to attempt to completely divest this discussion of the usual (some substantiated and some irrational) fears surrounding a two woman one man relationship, we're going say that it's 2 bisexual men and a woman.

So let's discuss paternity, for one. If two gays marry and decide that they'd like to have a child, say, thru artificial insemination of a female egg donor, will you worry about paternity issues there, or will the child not have one mother and two dads, one biological and one not? I fail to see any difference, really, except that in the scenario I'm describing it is possible that both men might actually impregnate the woman. In which case she has two children by two different men, and they both call them their dads. How is that any different from any step-parent/remarriage/step-sibling scenarios?
Old 04-15-2008, 02:11 PM   #192

Quote:

Let's say a man marries a woman, that woman later on wants to marry a woman as well. So does the man have a legal say? Does he stand up and say I do? What if they don't get along, does he have the right to divorce the "other" wife?

As a newbie you may want to lay off the condescending laughs especailly when you haven't answered these questions, if you ever want to get respect.
First off, this is no different from a straight relationship where one person ends up wanting more. Either the other person agrees, or they part. Simple. It's an adult decision.

Secondly, I'm tired of hearing the 'newbie' excuse. I have already been attacked unnecessarily, and frankly I found the question a bit laughable, noone can really know what is in the hearts and minds of people involved in any relationship, gay, straight, whatever. We pretty much keep out of their business, do we not?
Old 04-15-2008, 02:14 PM   #193
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

You know for sake of argument and to attempt to completely divest this discussion of the usual (some substantiated and some irrational) fears surrounding a two woman one man relationship, we're going say that it's 2 bisexual men and a woman.

So let's discuss paternity, for one. If two gays marry and decide that they'd like to have a child, say, thru artificial insemination of a female egg donor, will you worry about paternity issues there, or will the child not have one mother and two dads, one biological and one not? I fail to see any difference, really, except that in the scenario I'm describing it is possible that both men might actually impregnate the woman. In which case she has two children by two different men, and they both call them their dads. How is that any different from any step-parent/remarriage/step-sibling scenarios?
It's up these adults who raises and if the mother is involved.

But this scenario still doesn't tackle the issues of who raises the child in a three person marriage when a divorce occurs.
Old 04-15-2008, 02:17 PM   #194
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

First off, this is no different from a straight relationship where one person ends up wanting more. Either the other person agrees, or they part. Simple. It's an adult decision.
No, it's not the same of one person wanting more... You are completely ignoring the legal aspect of a marriage.

Quote:

Secondly, I'm tired of hearing the 'newbie' excuse. I have already been attacked unnecessarily, and frankly I found the question a bit laughable, noone can really know what is in the hearts and minds of people involved in any relationship, gay, straight, whatever. We pretty much keep out of their business, do we not?
I'm not speaking about what's in their hearts, I'm talking about legally...
Old 04-15-2008, 02:18 PM   #195

Quote:

It's up these adults who raises and if the mother is involved.

But this scenario still doesn't tackle the issues of who raises the child in a three person marriage when a divorce occurs.

Simply, no marriage scenario is designed to perfectly address the issues of who raises the kids, the dog, who gets that third weekend in August at the cottage in the event of a divorce, cmon.

10-20 years ago it was pretty cut and dried who would raise the kids in the event of a heterosexual divorce, wasn't it? But we expanded our thinking and moved on, didn't we? I'd like to think that if all parties had the kid's interests at heart and the state upholds that, there would be a way to arrive at an agreement there.