Why is Congress spending time looking into steroid use in Baseball?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UberBeaver

Breakdancing Soul Pilgrim
How is this a matter of national importance? I can think of 10 things without even trying that are more relevant for an elected body of representatives to be spending their time on. I don't see how this requires any of their attention. Did I miss something?

UberBeaver said:
How is this a matter of national importance? I can think of 10 things without even trying that are more relevant for an elected body of representatives to be spending their time on. I don't see how this requires any of their attention. Did I miss something?

Did you submit your petition to send steroids abroad? Is that what this crap is about, Beav? Give me a break. Asking candidates if they would invite Bonds to the White House is a valid and revealing question. The answer to which has a significant impact on our foreign policy and economy. You just don't get politics, do you? DO YOU? Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet.

^Don't worry, it isn't your tax dollars. It is borrowed money, so really it is your grandchildren who are going to pay for the current investigation of steroids in baseball, with interest.

UberBeaver said:
Hey, if some broad wants to take steroids, I'm gonna stop her. I dont care what country she's from. I just want to know why my tax dollars gotta pay for this shit.

You're best off quitting paid work so you cease funding these things, Ube.

UberBeaver said:

Well, I see your point, but if they don't look into it, who will? Bud Selig?

Re: Re: Why is Congress spending time looking into steroid use in Baseball?

bgmckinney said:

With all the things they could be doing and haven't done, does it matter if anyone does this for baseball at the moment?

Baseball's been forced into action anyway due to the Mitchell Report ... enough's enough.

bgmckinney said:

Well why should the American taxpayers pay for it? It is MLB's responsibility.

bgmckinney said:

Would it matter if NO ONE looked into it? Personally, I don't think so. Let those guys get as huge as they want - shit, recruit some of the juice monsters from the WWE for all I care. It's a game and a business - let MLB and the fans deal with it. Congress has better things to do. Ridiculous.

Angela - you're dead on. I'm quitting tomorrow because I'm tired of funding this nonsense. Thanks for being a voice of reason.

But does anyone have the real answer? I really do want to know.

Re: Re: Re: Why is Congress spending time looking into steroid use in Baseball?

UberBeaver said:
Would it matter if NO ONE looked into it? Personally, I don't think so. Let those guys get as huge as they want - shit, recruit some of the juice monsters from the WWE for all I care. It's a game and a business - let MLB and the fans deal with it. Congress has better things to do. Ridiculous.

Angela - you're dead on. I'm quitting tomorrow because I'm tired of funding this nonsense. Thanks for being a voice of reason.

But does anyone have the real answer? I really do want to know.

By doing this, they are able to point out the faults of the MLB on a regular basis, and everytime this comes up in the news, Congress looks good in comparison. It's hard not to. But by having your name there regularly, an image of competance goes with it. That's what they're going for, in my opinion.

The answers to these questions (and others) are worthy of congressional inquiry for at least three reasons:

First, the problem of steroid use is not remotely limited to professional athletes. High-schoolers in alarming numbers, at least 500,000 by recent report, have tried steroids; and steroid use is cropping up as early as Eighth Grade. Granted, exposing steroids in baseball will hardly solve this problem. But it may have some positive impact.

Second, I think Congress has a stake in the integrity of baseball. If Sosa and McGwire were juicing, and if baseball has knowingly been turning a blind eye to rampant steroid use by its biggest stars, then collectively, they have been foisting an enormous consumer fraud on the public.

Third, there is a moral value in exposing cheating among professional athletes. Although this alone would not justify a congressional hearing, it could certainly be a salutary byproduct.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/03/17/lazarus.steroids/index.html

I find none of those arguments compelling.

Congress should be spending time on this because we're talking illegal drugs destroying our national pastime and baseball isn't doing what it should be doing to fix it.

Think of the children!!! Oh God the poor children!!!! :rolleyes:

Although this alone would not justify a congressional hearing, it could certainly be a salutary byproduct.
I don't know why, but that sentence cracks me up.

Last edited:
UberBeaver said:
High-schoolers in alarming numbers, at least 500,000 by recent report, have tried steroids; and steroid use is cropping up as early as Eighth Grade.

Funny story. There was this kid in my high school who was a dumb fuck and a waste of life, seriously. Not one ounce of niceness in him, all he wanted in life was to get with girls (which he didn't) and to be popular. His grades were horrible, and trust me, waste of life. And he really was an asshole.

Anyway, he was on the football team and wanted to get big fast, without lifting, so he started using steroids. His arms were so much bigger proportionally to his body and he was breaking out all over his face. He continued to use them throughout high school and one day he bought what he thought was steroids from some people and injected himself with it. Turns out...it was vegetable oil.

:lmao:

And last time I checked, he still uses steroids, 4 years later.

I think the root of the issue is that no one oversees baseball - in other words, there's MLB, and then there's nothing above it. One can argue of course that baseball is just a sport and congress has better things to call hearings about, which is no doubt true, but because the sport in question is hugely popular, influential, and financially viable, congress has a right to think that it's a matter of national interest.
Personally, I love baseball deeply, and I hate steroids, and I do not trust congress, but I won't complain that they're looking into it. If I weren't a baseball fanatic, I don't know how I'd see it.

coemgen said:
Congress should be spending time on this because we're talking illegal drugs destroying our national pastime and baseball isn't doing what it should be doing to fix it.

I hate steroids being in sports too and baseball obviously isn't doing what it should, but I still think Congress has better things to do. Maybe because they have some powers to compel people to give information when they otherwise won't-but that didn't exactly compel Mark McGwire and others.

I do think situations such as this make steroids worth looking into, makes me wonder how many similar situations could exist.

A Father's Choice: Teen Athlete Starts Steroids at 13
A Father and Son Lose Everything They Worked for in Quest to Be the Best
By JIM AVILA, BETH TRIBOLET and SCOTT MICHELS
ABC News Law & Justice Unit

Jan. 30, 2008—

At his hometown skating rink, Corey Gahan is still a legend.

Other skaters stop and watch in silence as the former national teen in-line skating champion whizzes by in the place that launched what once seemed to be a promising career as a speed skater.

The only person missing on a recent family trip was Corey's father, his one-time mentor, promoter, training partner and best friend. For years, driven by his determined father, Corey was one of the top speed skaters for his age group. But those titles are now tainted, his accomplishments tinged with embarrassment after he tested positive for performance-enhancing drugs.

The drugs were provided to Corey starting at age 13 by Jim Gahan, a man so obsessed with winning that, he now admits, he lost sight of what it meant to be a good parent. The drug regime not only derailed Corey's future as a world-class athlete, but it also eroded the trust between Corey and his father. Corey cooperated with a federal investigation that put Jim Gahan in prison for six years -- thought to be the first person convicted of supplying his own child with steroids.

"It was really difficult because he's still my dad. And it is tough to do something like that when I have a brother and sister at home. But at the end of the day, you have to do what's right. And that was definitely right," Corey said today on "Good Morning America." "It is painful. It is painful. It's hard to think of good times and then see that because there were good times."

But, Corey said, he doesn't think his father is sorry about what happened.

"I think he's sorry that he got caught. I don't really feel sorry [for him]. I don't think he feels sorry that it happened," Corey said.

Illegal steroids are still mostly used by men in their late teens and 20s, said Dr. Harrison Pope, director of McLean Hospital's Biological Psychiatry Laboratory, which specializes in steroid abuse research. But, the drugs have crept into youth sports as well. Former Sen. George Mitchell, in his report on steroid use in Major League Baseball, warned that hundreds of thousands of high school age teens are illegally using performance-enhancing drugs.

"Every American, not just baseball fans, ought to be shocked into action by that disturbing truth," the report said.

Corey, now 18, moved with his father to Florida when he was 10 to train full-time. He was home schooled and spent hours at the gym.

He was especially close to his father, who traveled the world with him. "I was his safety blanket," Jim Gahan said of his son.

Gahan planned for Corey to move from in-line skating to speed ice skating, an Olympic sport that carried the possibility of fame and endorsements. Corey's first coach, who trained him before he began using steroids, said he had the athletic ability to win without the drugs.

"He had what we call the kill instinct," said Doug Kraii. "His dad pushed a little too hard, just kinda crossed that boundary, and in my opinion, he didn't need it. He coulda' done what he done without it."

But Corey was not advancing fast enough. Along with Corey's new trainer, Gahan, himself a former wrestler, began putting Corey on human growth hormone and steroids. Gahan said he and his son even injected the drugs together; soon Corey changed, his legs ballooned and his muscles popped.

"I was pushing him for the both of us," Jim Gahan told senior law and justice correspondent Jim Avila in his first televised interview. "Because I liked it and he loved it."

Corey's mother, Patricia Johnston, who still lived in Michigan, said her son would call and seem distant and angry. When she first saw him about two years after he left home, she said it didn't occur to her that Corey might be using steroids. "I just thought, 'Wow, he really grew up to be a strong young man,'" she said.

She said on "Good Morning America" today she had no idea her son was using steroids, but did notice a change in his size and behavior.

"He didn't seem very happy and [he was] angry. [It was] a real distant relationship. It really & it hurt," Patricia said.

Eventually, Gahan took Corey to see John Todd Miller, who worked at a storefront wellness clinic that dispensed steroids. The clinic ordered blood tests and found that Corey had unusually high and "potentially dangerous" blood testosterone levels, according to court records. Once his testosterone levels stabilized, Miller put Corey back on a controlled dose of steroids again, the court documents state.

Miller and Corey's new trainer pleaded guilty to conspiracy to distribute steroids to a minor. His trainer was sentenced to six months in prison; Miller was sentenced in September to 18 months in prison.

Miller declined to comment. His lawyer, James Caltagirone, said using the steroids under Miller's supervision was better than getting them off the street. "What's pretty clear is that before he met Todd Miller, he had been using steroids," Caltagirone said. "The medical supervision wasn't there 100 percent. But there was more than he would have gotten on the street somewhere."

Corey continued to win, becoming a national champion and breaking speed records, and Gahan said they didn't think at the time about what they were doing. "We were caught up in the high. We were caught up in the excitement," Jim Gahan said.

The long-term effect of steroid use during adolescence hasn't been measured, Pope said, but Corey had to take prescription pain pills to cope with his intense workouts. And eventually, the cheating caught up with him. Corey was suspended for two years in 2006 after he failed a drug test.

After federal investigators arrested Miller and Corey's trainer, Corey eventually agreed to cooperate in the investigation against his father. "It was the right thing to do," Corey's mother said. "He had to do it, but still it's his father and a very hard thing to do."

Corey hasn't spoken to his father in more than a year and said he has no plans to return to competitive sports. He works in a retail store and said he will channel his competitive drive into his everyday life. "I think there's more to life than sports," he said.

His father now said he sees the mistakes he made.

"I probably walk 20 miles a day here & pacing," Gahan said from prison. "And I do 500 pushups and 1,000 sit-ups everyday to burn myself out, so that at night I can sleep. Because I understand the hurt that I caused my family."

The 18-year-old said he hopes other young people can learn from his story.

"I think it's good to understand the natural talent and hard work ethic is all it takes to win in sports these days. The medications and all of this, It's a short, quick fix, but it's a destined for failure. If kids really understand, it will help their decision," Corey said.

Back
Top Bottom