Why I Will Not Be Voting For Bush - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-21-2004, 02:06 AM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:20 PM
Why I Will Not Be Voting For Bush

Well its not written by me but I would agree with almost every point.
Quote:
WHY I WON’T VOTE FOR BUSH

By Nelson Ascher

Let me be straightforward here. I’m an atheist and a secularist.

By atheist I mean that I take the possibility of there being any kind of transcendence, anything supernatural, anything that is not explainable or that won’t be eventually be explainad by the laws of physics (which I don’t pretend to understand fully) to be infinitesimally small. I’d really love it if there were something else besides what I can see, because what I can see if suffering, fear and crap. I’d like to think I’ll meet my loved ones who disappeared into nothingness or, to put it even less metaphorically, have disintegrated, don’t exist anymore, are not. It would be nice to imagine that I will outlast my mortal bodily being. But I can’t. Maybe that’s a failure of imagination. The trouble with atheism is the same as with learning to play the piano. To be able to play it well, you’ve got to learn it before you have time to fall in love with music. When you get to love music, it’s usually too late for your fingers to learn the right movements. In the same way, one becomes an atheist before one learns what fear, finitude and mortality are.

As a secularist, I simply don’t want other people’s beliefs dictating my behavior. You don’t want to eat pork? Fine, but leave me alone with my Spanish “jamon de jabugo” or “pata negra”. You dislike spirits? OK. Even so I’ll drink my cognac. Sex outside marriage is sinful for you? That’s your trouble, not mine. Live and let me live.

When I became a conscious atheist (I think that was when, for the hundredth time, in spite of my prayers, God almighty didn’t grant me the grades I needed at junior high school) I also started to militate. I couldn’t admit anyone disbelieving in my disbelief. I thought: I’m so smart and they’re so stupid. Eventually I came around to the conclusion that I couldn’t be so smarter than almost everybody else: a bit maybe, but not that much. So, the conclusions I arrived at could also have been arrived at by most people, living, dead or still to be born. If they took another way, they must have had their own reasons for it. Probably much comes down to temperament, a disposition we’re born with and cannot do much to change.
Continue Reading - here

Old 10-21-2004, 03:09 AM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:20 AM
I couldn't continue reading it...the guy seems so negative about everything that he's one step away from slitting his wrists...goodness.

Old 10-21-2004, 05:29 AM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 02:20 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by starsgoblue
I couldn't continue reading it...the guy seems so negative about everything that he's one step away from slitting his wrists...goodness.
i think its quite the opposite actually.
Old 10-21-2004, 06:46 AM   #4
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:20 AM
Well, while the arguments make a lot of sense, it's very strange how the author has come to the conclusion. Based on this article, I would say that indeed one gets it and one doesn't. I won't be voting for Bush, but not only because I'm not a US citizen.

Marty
Old 10-21-2004, 07:01 AM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 06:20 AM
infact i thought that the ending was quite a good one..

and expected too..
Old 10-21-2004, 07:02 AM   #6
Blue Crack Supplier

After some more reading on this site, I've come to the conclusion that the blogger uses a lot of empty rhetorics. He dislikes Kerry, but has no valid arguments to support his dislike (as most are based on what he thinks, not on what Kerry has done).

Marty
Old 10-21-2004, 07:10 AM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by Popmartijn
After some more reading on this site, I've come to the conclusion that the blogger uses a lot of empty rhetorics. He dislikes Kerry, but has no valid arguments to support his dislike (as most are based on what he thinks, not on what Kerry has done).

Marty
come on MILLIONS of people like kerry because they dislike bush..

just because this guys likes bush, cant he dislike kerry ?
Old 10-21-2004, 07:24 AM   #8
Blue Crack Supplier

Of course he can like Bush and dislike Kerry. But I do think it's quite a stretch to say that Kerry won't do anything against terrorism, that all blame for 11 September lies on the Clinton administration, etc.
Old 10-21-2004, 07:34 AM   #9
New Yorker

Local Time: 01:20 AM
You have to understand that in an election with an incumbent, its a vote for who you like and an assessment of the incumbent's work, hence the Anybody But Bush crowd. I was an ABB and as I educated myself, I really started to learn about the GOOD things John Kerry plans to do. I'm not an ABB anymore -- I'm a Kerry supporter. There is a difference.
Old 10-21-2004, 08:08 AM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:20 PM
I'm glad you found reason to support your candidate. It seems a rarity these days.
Old 10-21-2004, 10:27 AM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

I was an ABB also, but I have positive reasons for supporting Kerry as well. I don't hate Bush in the first place, I never did. It's never been personal. He's a sincere, decent guy who's trying to do the right thing, I just don't share his outlook on life and the world. He hasn't gotten in the way of a huge, dramatic improvement in the quality of my life. It happened during his Administration. Amazing things can keep on happening to me no matter who's in the damn White House or controlling Congress. This stuff has pretty limited impact on my day to day life.
Old 10-21-2004, 10:31 AM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

will try and read tonight

First, I admit I have not read this article.

But, I think their are many valid reasons not to vote for Bush if you are a religious person.
Old 10-21-2004, 10:38 AM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

Re: will try and read tonight

Quote:
Originally posted by deep
First, I admit I have not read this article.

But, I think their are many valid reasons not to vote for Bush if you are a religious person.
Absolutely. I'm a Catholic Christian and I'm voting for Kerry. But being religious doesn't mean you can't vote for Bush in all honesty and sincerity. The past few weeks at mass I've held hands during the "Our Father" with people wearing Bush campaign buttons. I was initially a bit shocked at political buttons at church but I've gotten used to them.
Old 10-21-2004, 11:02 AM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

Re: Re: will try and read tonight

Quote:
Originally posted by verte76

But being religious doesn't mean you can't vote for Bush
True, but if one truly beieves in what Jesus taught they would be more in sinc with Kerry.
Old 10-21-2004, 11:17 AM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

Re: Re: Re: will try and read tonight

Quote:
Originally posted by deep
True, but if one truly beieves in what Jesus taught they would be more in sinc with Kerry.
This message brought to you by the First Church of Deep.....