Why I Will Not Be Voting For Bush - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-21-2004, 11:44 AM   #16
War Child

Local Time: 12:57 PM
Basically, what Jesus taught was that He was God in human form and that only He could fix our problems down here, though it would involve much blood, sweat and tears from us along the way. Jesus did not teach "peace"...i.e. "I have not come to bring peace, but to give you a sword"...suggesting that certain things should be fought for. Whether freedom is one of them, He doesn't state implicitely. So basically Jesus' teachings were more about who He was than anything else, and if you don't accept that, then His more 'proverb-type' sayings are really pointless. So believing in Jesus (not just his teachings) doesn't really dictate who you vote for, as He wasn't a political figure at all. Republicans can find passages they can incorporate into conservatism, and democrats can do the same. In the end, He transcends both by pointing to Himself - not some philosophical ideology. His teachings never sugggest that anyone but Himself can fix what needs to be fixed. So believe in Jesus and vote for whoever you want.

Old 10-21-2004, 11:50 AM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I'm not voting for Bush, but a few observations here:

Bush is hijacking religion the same way he's hijacking the American flag; if you vote for Kerry, apparently your faith is weak. If you vote for Kerry, you're not voting for a strong America. I hate his stance on both these things.

btw, that article is wrong on one thing for sure: his analogy about learning the piano, in that you need to learn it before you can love it; simply not true. take it from a pianist.

Old 10-21-2004, 04:33 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 07:57 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by JOFO

Bush is hijacking religion the same way he's hijacking the American flag; if you vote for Kerry, apparently your faith is weak. If you vote for Kerry, you're not voting for a strong America. I hate his stance on both these things.
JOFO, I couldn't agree with you more.

One aspect of reading left-wing blogs that disturbs me is that some posters tend to dismiss religion and faith. I cannot agree with this. I have what I feel is a strong sense of faith. I pray a lot, and usually not for things like winning the lottery or meeting a good man...I thank God for good things that have happened to me and others, that it's a nice day outside...you get the idea.

There are sites on the web that have shown me that I am not the only person who believe in faith AND Kerry:
www.johnkerry.com/communities.faith
and I love this one, it's really beautiful:
www.keprayerteam.org
Old 10-21-2004, 04:36 PM   #19
Acrobat

A Wanderer; "When I became a conscious atheist (I think that was when, for the hundredth time, in spite of my prayers, God almighty didn’t grant me the grades I needed at junior high school."

.....I feel sorry for you.
Old 10-21-2004, 07:13 PM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:57 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by JOFO

btw, that article is wrong on one thing for sure: his analogy about learning the piano, in that you need to learn it before you can love it; simply not true. take it from a pianist.
Agreed.

Also agree with your take on the piano analogy, which also works for other arts, etc. I know a painter who lovedit from his very first go. Many people are like that -- they fall in love with something and then become good at it (well, sometimes they never become good at it.... But they enjoy it!).

And I'd be very willing to buy Bush a one way plane ticket to Brasil (I'd send him to you in Oz, A_Wanderer, but I couldn't do something so horrid to Kilbey and co. )
Old 10-21-2004, 07:21 PM   #21
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:57 PM
Edge boy I didn't write the thing, but I certainly agree that there are very good reasons to vote for Bush in light of my atheist stance.

Nothing to feel sorry about regardless, I never every believed and so never lost my faith, family not actively part of religion and I have always loved science and investigation.

There is no afterlife, your life doesn't matter at all, then make it count because that is all that matters.
Old 10-21-2004, 07:31 PM   #22
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:57 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer

your life doesn't matter at all
That's brilliant.
Old 10-21-2004, 08:42 PM   #23
Blue Crack Distributor

Re: Re: will try and read tonight

Quote:
Originally posted by verte76

Absolutely. I'm a Catholic Christian and I'm voting for Kerry. But being religious doesn't mean you can't vote for Bush in all honesty and sincerity. The past few weeks at mass I've held hands during the "Our Father" with people wearing Bush campaign buttons. I was initially a bit shocked at political buttons at church but I've gotten used to them.
I am Catholic, and at my church, I see Kerry buttions and bumper stickers.
Old 10-22-2004, 12:21 AM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:57 AM
Quote:

no afterlife, your life doesn't matter at all, then make it count because that is all that matters.

good advice

people spend too much time worrying about the so-called afterlife

while failing to live a productive before death life.
Old 10-22-2004, 01:21 AM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 02:57 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by verte76
He's a sincere, decent guy who's trying to do the right thing
Wow. That´s a lot of credit for a killer.
Old 10-22-2004, 01:24 AM   #26
ONE
love, blood, life

Because when Saddam is executing even more innocent people every day its allright but if you go in there to stop it you are a killer.
Old 10-22-2004, 01:35 AM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Old 10-22-2004, 01:44 AM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Re: Re: Re: Re: will try and read tonight

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

This message brought to you by the First Church of Deep.....
First Church of Deep? Never heard of that. But if you say it exists, I´ll probably change religion, taking into account that the First Church of Deep hasn´t been crusading, and its financial assets weren´t bunked at a Mafia bank, and, and, and... endless list.

Nbc, there´s no need to fire senseless disrespect into the crowd in a sentence without making any argument. Imo, if someone believes that Christian interests are represented rather by one candidate than the other candidate, that´s his/ her choice.

Kerry has better views on lots of issues, but to me that doesn´t mean he even gets near to follow the teachings of the Bible that I believe in. He´s definitely not the next Martin Luther King.

He also would wage an unjust war against another country, I am pretty sure of that (maybe he would make sure of some proper international backing, but that´s another speculation). Being a U.S. President seems to include certain duties, after all.
Old 10-22-2004, 01:45 AM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Because when Saddam is executing even more innocent people every day its allright but if you go in there to stop it you are a killer.
hahaha

I wasn´t even talking about Saddam.

Get a fucking clue.
Old 10-22-2004, 01:52 AM   #30
ONE
love, blood, life

Hahahaha, you are calling President Bush a killer.