Why Feminism Harms Women - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-19-2008, 09:48 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 02:43 PM
Since this column comes from Townhall, it's obviously just conservative scare-mongering about the supposed evils of feminism.

Old 03-19-2008, 10:00 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:43 PM
Quote:
Feminism raised women's expectations beyond what life can deliver to the vast majority of them.
Buh??

Quote:

As a rule, women derive most of their happiness from relationships, not from work.
Tell that to the countless women who are bored and isolated as stay-at-home mothers and homemakers.

Old 03-19-2008, 10:03 PM   #18
Refugee

Local Time: 01:43 PM
Some of this article has truth to it and some doesn't...or should I say with some people this article holds true and with others it holds false. It's really a matter of the person. So, let him/her post this article - why not??? It makes for some interesting discussion does it not?
Old 03-19-2008, 10:11 PM   #19
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy

I drew no such conclusions, you clown.

You're telling lies. With any other poster, I'd give the benefit of the doubt and put it down to misunderstanding, but given your consistent habit of misrepresenting my point of view (and that of other conservative posters), I'm not giving you the benefit of the doubt.
What, you didn't think I could look up the thread which I was referring to? I found the thread, and the website you used to link your conclusions. This has nothing to do with conservatism.

In order to keep this thread on topic I will not post them in here. You'll be getting a PM.
Old 03-19-2008, 10:21 PM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:43 PM
But apparently there are some perks for being female and depressed -- at least for Australian depressed women. link

Quote:
Depressed women have more sex than those who are happier, regardless of whether they are in a relationship or not, a study of Australians has found.

A survey of Melbourne women presented at an international mental health conference has concluded that females who suffer from mild to moderate depression have a third more sexual activity than those who are not.

They also had more sexually liberated attitudes, a bigger variety of sexual experiences and, if single, were more likely to partake in casual sex, Dr Sabura Allen, a clinical psychologist at Monash University, said.

"It was more sex and more of everything from kissing to petting, foreplay and intercourse," said Dr Allen, who studied the recent sexual experiences of 107 depressed and non-depressed women who were in relationships.

"We knew this anecdotally from clinical samples but this is the first time it's been shown in research."

She said depressed women were likely seeking out sexual intimacy more often to help feel more secure.

"When people are depressed they feel more insecure about their relationships and concerned that their partner may not care about them or find them valuable," Dr Allen said.

"Having sex helps them feel that closeness and security."

Asked whether intercourse could be an effective balm for depression, the psychologist said "we really don't know but we presume it helps as it gives these women opportunities to be close to their partner and loved."

The team also is investigating depressed single women and has found a trend towards more casual sex than happier singles.

Dr Allen said Australian couples tend have sex between once and three times a week, with "very much the majority in the once a week group". Single women have it "significantly less", but the same is not necessarily true of single men.

The study, soon to be published in a British medical journal, was presented at the International Congress on Women's Mental Health in Melbourne where the latest research in mental illness and hormone-related conditions is being showcased.

New studies have shown high rates of severe PMS and post-natal depression among Australian women, a dramatic drop in the abortion rate, and a promising new treatment for Alzheimer's disease.
Old 03-19-2008, 10:22 PM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

I love when men write articles explaining to us women why we feel the way we feel. Classic.
Old 03-19-2008, 10:37 PM   #22
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram
I love when men write articles explaining to us women why we feel the way we feel. Classic.

it's because you're too emotional. can't think clearly about your own situation.
Old 03-19-2008, 10:52 PM   #23
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:43 PM
The article is very simplistic. By and large, I disagree with it.

That said, we would be foolish to completely ignore the negative effects of the 'gender revolution' - for example, as Yolland mentioned, both parents these days having to work outside the home to give anything like a reasonable standard of living for their kids.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:03 PM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
That said, we would be foolish to completely ignore the negative effects of the 'gender revolution' - for example, as Yolland mentioned, both parents these days having to work outside the home to give anything like a reasonable standard of living for their kids.
Did the gender revolution cause a drop in wages?
Old 03-19-2008, 11:06 PM   #25
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

"HAVING to work outside the home..."

How is that a result of the 'gender revolution'?
Old 03-19-2008, 11:09 PM   #26
ONE
love, blood, life

Ceteris paribus, what effect is increased labour participation rates likely to have on property prices?
Old 03-19-2008, 11:15 PM   #27
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Ceteris paribus, what effect is increased labour participation rates likely to have on property prices?
So less participation, less innovation, less production, etc would mean we are better off?
Old 03-19-2008, 11:19 PM   #28
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

So less participation, less innovation, less production, etc would mean we are better off?
I'm not sure what you find problematic about my question, because your response does not even remotely relate to it. Can you explain which aspect you're having difficulty with, and I'll attempt to rephrase.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:54 PM   #29
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

I'm not sure what you find problematic about my question, because your response does not even remotely relate to it. Can you explain which aspect you're having difficulty with, and I'll attempt to rephrase.
I'm familiar with the term 'Ceteris paribus' used in economics, but I have to admit I've never seen it used like this.

But, if I understand right you are saying that because women started participating in the workforce we "increased labour participation" therefore we likely increased property prices. Am I correct in assuming so?

If so, then aren't you saying if we never increased participation, therefore never increasing inovation or production, then we'd be better off?
Old 03-20-2008, 12:01 AM   #30
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
But, if I understand right you are saying that because women started participating in the workforce we "increased labour participation" therefore we likely increased property prices. Am I correct in assuming so?
Actually, I'm merely posing the question. But yes, I'd consider it reasonably likely that increased particpation rates are one of the factors driving the growth in property prices - and, of course, associated mortgage costs - that we have seen in recent years.

Quote:
If so, then aren't you saying if we never increased participation, therefore never increasing inovation or production, then we'd be better off?
I'd like you to explain what you mean by 'better off' in this context.