Why does he have to be politically Correct

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you're a mayor you're under pressure from all of your constituents, and that includes Muslims. I don't blame the Muslims for being a little upset about the matter, it seems like they just talked.

Political Correctness is the worst thing to happen to this country. Collectively we're becoming a bunch of giant wussies because we're afraid of hurting ANYONE'S feelings. Annoys me to death.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
I really don't think this is a matter of political correctness.

I don't either. He went to a pro-Israeli rally and ignored an invitation from the Muslim community. That wasn't the most sensitive thing he could have done.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
I really don't think this is a matter of political correctness.

Absolutely it is. First of all, you have a mayor of a US city. Not a person who is influential with Mid-East politics.

He went to a rally opposing terror tactics of Hezbollah - can anyone articulate why that is objectionable? Must it be followed by accepting invites from all other groups?

The real problem is that whenever someone complains of being "offended" - the first political reaction is an apology. A meaningless gesture demanded by the political correctness of the moment.

I think complaining about "political correctness" annoys me more than actual "political correctness."

Melon

melon said:
I think complaining about "political correctness" annoys me more than actual "political correctness."

Melon

I agree.

Take the mayor's pathetic move, label it political correctness, and people fixate on the label instead of the meaningless political gestures of Villaraigosa.

IsraelRally06-homepic.jpg

this hardly seems like a simple anti-terror rally.

the mayor seemingly ignores invitations to interfaith observations and attends a clearly one-sided gathering? don't his muslim constituents have a right be upset?

No one questions the "right to be upset".

The question is - just because a group is upset, should the mayor immediately apologize in every instance?

a mayor should use his arse to set on and his head to think
not the other way around

he had to apologize because he indeed has to be there for all his constituents

Now that I've seen that picture I really think the Muslims had a right to be upset. That wasn't a simple anti-terror rally. That was an event with a clear political agenda.

What from this one picture demonstrates a clear political agenda? Especially one that would draw the ire of the Muslim community when the mayor of a US city attends?

nbcrusader said:
What from this one picture demonstrates a clear political agenda? Especially one that would draw the ire of the Muslim community when the mayor of a US city attends?

Are we not looking at the same photo? :scratch:

Maybe the Star of David everywhere? Maybe the Stars and Stripes next to the Israeli flag with "We Support Israel" between them, and "Ensure Security" underneath the US flag?

I'd say, what from this one picture does not demonstrate a clear political agenda?

If I was a Muslim and my mayor attended that, I'd be pissed off too.

DaveC said:
If I was a Muslim and my mayor attended that, I'd be pissed off too.

Think about your statement.

Does being a Muslim mean that you are offended by the existence of Israel?

What of this photo is an offense to Islam?

It's not about an offense to Islam in general - it's about a mayor not appropriately representing his constituents.

If he had gone to a pro-Hezbollah rally (and if they happen in Halifax, I'm sure they're going on in LA), and skipped an Israeli rally, wouldn't Jewish folks in LA have the right to be upset?

The man is allowed to hold his own personal views. I think what people are up in arms about is the fact that he is an elected representative of the people, and he is not appropriately representing those people.

The mayor of a US city does not represent constituents in international politics.

Again, is pro-Hezbollah really the opposite of pro-Israel? If so, it would be clear that you could pick one side over the other.

Back
Top Bottom