Why does christianity = conservative right wing? - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-04-2005, 05:02 PM   #61
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:01 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by all_i_want
oh, that means everyone who chose the wrong religion is going to hell.. comforting.
All we can do is present the evidence before you. What you do with it is between you and God.

Quote:
do you really believe god is this power obsessed guy who likes to exert authority over his subjects, asks them to pray to him occasionally and if they dont, he leaves them?
No. But how do you respond to a God who would voluntarily die on a cross for your benefit?

Old 03-04-2005, 05:03 PM   #62
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:01 AM
Initially I was puzzled on joining here that there seemed to be so few non-Christians and, frankly, at the pro-American bias. Now I've realised why - as soon as soon as someone from a different background joins and starts posting people start trying to convert them!

Old 03-04-2005, 05:03 PM   #63
Acrobat

Local Time: 06:01 AM
Amen to that!
Old 03-04-2005, 05:04 PM   #64
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 01:01 AM
I'm not trying to convert you or anyone. AllIWant asked what you had to do to accept God and I explained.
I understand there are U2 fans who aren't Christians. That's fine. I respect them. However, just because there are different views out there, that's not going to keep me from sharing mine or what I know to be the truth. This is the free your mind forum afterall.
Old 03-04-2005, 05:04 PM   #65
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy
According to you. You must be aware that there are U2 fans who are not Christians? E.G. Muslim fans, atheists, etc.
This thread is a question about Christianity. It is open to all to read and respond.
Old 03-04-2005, 05:06 PM   #66
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Initially I was puzzled on joining here that there seemed to be so few non-Christians and, frankly, at the pro-American bias. Now I've realised why - as soon as soon as someone from a different background joins and starts posting people start trying to convert them!
Where is this "trying to covert them" that you speak of?

Please don't play the "if you talk about Christianity, you are ramming your beliefs down my throat" card. If questions are raised, expect responses.

How you deal with them is your business.
Old 03-04-2005, 05:07 PM   #67
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

This thread is a question about Christianity. It is open to all to read and respond.
Yes but the point is there are comments in the thread saying, or implying, basically that Christianity is the only way, end of story, full stop! If it is the policy of the mods that only Christians are allowed to respond to certain threads then let's see them put that policy in place.

Until such time as they do I will assume that non-Christians are entitled to post in threads dealing with Christianity.
Old 03-04-2005, 05:08 PM   #68
Refugee

Local Time: 09:01 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by coemgen
Yes, Christianity is the only way. That sounds close minded to people, I know. But think about it – if Christ (who was fully God and fully man) died the ultimate death in our place because the "wages of sin is death" and "all have fallen short of the glory of God" then why would God accept you chosing another way? Truth is absolute here, not relative. It's not in fashion. We can't follow the latest religion trend here.

God wants us to love him back. He wants a relationship with us. He wants to bless us. He wants us to put him first, and accept him of Lord of our lives. He wants us to worship him. We were created for all this. People who don't have this relationship with him often feel empty. It's because they "worship" other things instead of God, money, sex, material things, power, etc.

To accept his love and his sacrifice, all you have to do is pray to him and say "God, I know that I have sinned against you or gone against your ways and I'm sorry. I know your son, Jesus Christ, died on the cross for me so that I may have the opportunity to be forgiven for my sins and spend eternity with you. Thank you for this sacrifice, this gift. I now accept Christ as my lord and savior and will walk according to his ways. Amen."

God also wants you to experience his love. All you have to do is say 'yes' in your heart.
sorry, but i dont believe that god discriminates between its subjects and just sends the christians to heaven and the rest to hell. and there is no amount of reasoning that can make me accept something like that.

the way i see it, as long as you believe in god, i am not saying a particular religion, you can have the relationship you were talking about.

also, i dont buy the 'original sin' either. why would i be punished for something completely out of my control? so the last paragraph is just christian doctrine, it doesnt prove anything

'God wants us to love him back. He wants a relationship with us. He wants to bless us. He wants us to put him first, and accept him of Lord of our lives. He wants us to worship him. We were created for all this. '

this part makes me smile, cause god is an ideal being. it is perfect, does not have needs, is not flawed by things such as selfishness and jealousy. the idea that god created us to worship him rather than for us to live our lives and experience the great gift that is life suggests me that the god you are talking about is pretty selfish. also, being the almighty, powerful and perfect being it is, i dont think god would need our love or our constant worship, and it does not want something it doesnt need. the best way to appreciate gods love is to appreciate the life it gave us, and to keep living. every breath we take is a sufficient display of our appreciation.

thats what i believe.

it would probably bring the moral and religious system out there crumbling down, wouldnt it?
Old 03-04-2005, 05:09 PM   #69
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

Where is this "trying to covert them" that you speak of?

How else would you interpret the statement from Coemgen that "Christianity is the only way"?
Old 03-04-2005, 05:11 PM   #70
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

Yes but the point is there are comments in the thread saying, or implying, basically that Christianity is the only way, end of story, full stop! If it is the policy of the mods that only Christians are allowed to respond to certain threads then let's see them put that policy in place.

Until such time as they do I will assume that non-Christians are entitled to post in threads dealing with Christianity.
I hope you continue to engage in the discussion.

But I believe that salvation is found through grace alone, through faith alone, in Christ alone.

You can respond to that statement any way you want.
Old 03-04-2005, 05:12 PM   #71
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 01:01 AM
financeguy, you have every right to post your opinion and beliefs. Nobody is denying you of that. We have that right too as Christians. If my point of view differs from yours, that doesn't mean I'm denying you your right to expression here, attacking you personally, converting you or restricting your freedom of speech here. People debate here and you can't do that without differing opinions. I respect that you have your own opinion, why can't you respect that of me and others here?
Old 03-04-2005, 05:12 PM   #72
Refugee

Local Time: 09:01 AM
Quote:

I hope you continue to engage in the discussion.

But I believe that salvation is found through grace alone, through faith alone, in Christ alone.

well, isnt that basicly telling non-christians 'my way or the highway'?
Old 03-04-2005, 05:14 PM   #73
Acrobat

Local Time: 06:01 AM
To all you christians,don't feel ashamed or wrong about the
idea of converting people because the best way to show you
love to God is to express that love to others.
Old 03-04-2005, 05:17 PM   #74
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
well, isnt that basicly telling non-christians 'my way or the highway'?
No. It is telling non-Christians "Christ’s way or the highway". It is what we read in Scripture.

You can accept it, reject it, ignore it, or discuss it.

You are not the first to struggle or reject the idea that salvation is in Christ alone.

Yes, it sounds "exclusive" or "intolerant". But Jesus' teachings were radical for their time and are radical today.
Old 03-04-2005, 05:18 PM   #75
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

That statement is fine!

I have no problem with that statement whatever, I don't think anyone would.

I just think we need to be careful at this point in history as regards people who might not be Christians, e.g., Muslims, who might be fans of U2 and might post on this forum. I wouldn't want to see them not feeling welcome, that's all I'm saying.