Why does christianity = conservative right wing? - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-04-2005, 04:33 PM   #46
Refugee

Local Time: 02:47 AM
also, since most of you apparently like to see god as a parent figure, one thing about parenting, ive been told, is the unconditional love the parents have for their children. sending them to hell doesnt fit in the description of unconditional love.

i wouldnt lean on the kind of parent the holy books like to talk about

Old 03-04-2005, 04:34 PM   #47
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 06:47 PM
Hell isn't necessarily punishment if you think about it. Hell is really the absense of God. If people chose to ignore or God 's authority, power and sacrifice through Christ, he's going respect their wishes because he respects free will, and let them spend eternity without him.

Old 03-04-2005, 04:38 PM   #48
Rock n' Roll Doggie

To respond to you allIwant – God already did his part of expressing love (ie the Bible and the act of sending his son to die in our place for our sins so that we may spend eternity with him by chosing to accept his sacrifice and love, not by what we do). He's already done more than enough to show us his love, all we have to do is accept it. Should we chose not to, he loves us enough to let us make our own decisions. I guess you could actually say, in a way, hell is something we chose.
Old 03-04-2005, 04:39 PM   #49
Refugee

oh, that means everyone who chose the wrong religion is going to hell.. comforting.

do you really believe god is this power obsessed guy who likes to exert authority over his subjects, asks them to pray to him occasionally and if they dont, he leaves them?

that nicely fits the status quo of the organized religions, but i think it is simply something made up to make the people obey the rules of these particular religions.
Old 03-04-2005, 04:40 PM   #50
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by coemgen
To respond to you allIwant – God already did his part of expressing love (ie the Bible and the act of sending his son to die in our place for our sins so that we may spend eternity with him by chosing to accept his sacrifice and love, not by what we do). He's already done more than enough to show us his love, all we have to do is accept it. Should we chose not to, he loves us enough to let us make our own decisions. I guess you could actually say, in a way, hell is something we chose.
so what does my 'acceptance' entitle me to do? what is it that god wants from his subjects?
Old 03-04-2005, 04:51 PM   #51
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by swissair135
Because conservatives are not adhering to the "inherit" word of god.... yet they act self-righteously. Just watch bible TV for 3 minutes.

Oh please!!! Are you honestly constructing your concept of "conservativism" based on those nutcases on TV?!?!? You've GOT to be kidding me. Do you believe everything you see on TV? I'm a conservative Christian, pretty centrist but will lean right on certain issues, and I will in no way shape or form let myself of my beliefs and values be associated with those TV wackos. That's like saying I know what a "man" is based on 3 minutes of Stripperella on SpikeTV

I care about social justice, unemployment, education, social security, global warming, legislation that discriminates based on sexual preference, etc, etc...I have no, do not, and will never give one flipping shit about some sobbing fat woman with fake eyelashes giving some dramatic testimonial and asking me for all my money. Absurd.

And what exactly do you mean by "inherit" word of God?
Old 03-04-2005, 04:51 PM   #52
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:47 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by shart1780
And what the heck? Jesus is against war? I'm sorry but that's simply not true. Jesus is a god of love which also means he's a god of punishment. If you think Jesus didn't condone war I suggest you read through the Bible again.

Of course he's against unrighteous war, but that's a completely other discussion.
Shart1780's dictionary

Love = punishment

????
Old 03-04-2005, 04:53 PM   #53
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by all_i_want
also, since most of you apparently like to see god as a parent figure, one thing about parenting, ive been told, is the unconditional love the parents have for their children. sending them to hell doesnt fit in the description of unconditional love.
It's nice to think of God as a parent figure, but in the end, we can't define God based on human-constructed social roles like "father". God is the Trinity - something we simply don't have the capacity to understand.
Old 03-04-2005, 04:54 PM   #54
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Yes, Christianity is the only way. That sounds close minded to people, I know. But think about it – if Christ (who was fully God and fully man) died the ultimate death in our place because the "wages of sin is death" and "all have fallen short of the glory of God" then why would God accept you chosing another way? Truth is absolute here, not relative. It's not in fashion. We can't follow the latest religion trend here.

God wants us to love him back. He wants a relationship with us. He wants to bless us. He wants us to put him first, and accept him of Lord of our lives. He wants us to worship him. We were created for all this. People who don't have this relationship with him often feel empty. It's because they "worship" other things instead of God, money, sex, material things, power, etc.

To accept his love and his sacrifice, all you have to do is pray to him and say "God, I know that I have sinned against you or gone against your ways and I'm sorry. I know your son, Jesus Christ, died on the cross for me so that I may have the opportunity to be forgiven for my sins and spend eternity with you. Thank you for this sacrifice, this gift. I now accept Christ as my lord and savior and will walk according to his ways. Amen."

God also wants you to experience his love. All you have to do is say 'yes' in your heart.
Old 03-04-2005, 04:55 PM   #55
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:47 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy

Shart1780's dictionary

Love = punishment

????
Can discipline (punsihment) be done in love? Out of love?

I would suggest that failing to discipline someone is failing to show love.
Old 03-04-2005, 04:55 PM   #56
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic

It's nice to think of God as a parent figure, but in the end, we can't define God based on human-constructed social roles like "father". God is the Trinity - something we simply don't have the capacity to understand.
i agree with the first part

im not a big fan of religious imagery, so i wont touch the whole trinity issue.
Old 03-04-2005, 04:56 PM   #57
Acrobat

Local Time: 11:47 PM
AMEN.(coemgen)
Old 03-04-2005, 04:56 PM   #58
ONE
love, blood, life

Sorry I must be in the wrong place.

I thought this forum was called "Free Your Mind".

I appear to have stumbled on a Christian "discussion" forum inadvertently

Apologies my mistake
Old 03-04-2005, 04:56 PM   #59
Rock n' Roll Doggie

The trinity isn't religious imagery, it's the nature of God.
Old 03-04-2005, 04:59 PM   #60
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by coemgen
The trinity isn't religious imagery, it's the nature of God.
According to you. You must be aware that there are U2 fans who are not Christians? E.G. Muslim fans, atheists, etc.

Surely it's a but presumptious to try and use this forum as a device to proselytise or convert people?