Why do you think this is? - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-19-2006, 01:35 AM   #61
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:58 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer

Generally we are most happy that the left is unhappy.
This is so funny, mainly because it's true.

The new Right Radio station here in Chicago advertise based purely on this fact. They have these billboards that say "Because Liberals Hate It".

The right revels in the fact that they can piss off the left...

Just look at the trolls in here.

Old 03-19-2006, 01:43 AM   #62
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:58 AM
Well that may be more than a little true, but Iowahawk is still damn funny and some of the jokes write themselves
Quote:
MINNESOTA DEMS SEEK BAN ON 'UN-AMERICAN' VET ADS

St. Paul, MN - Minnesota's Democratic Party today called for a ban on a series of television ads featuring Iraq War veterans urging support for U.S. war efforts, calling the spots "un-American."

"The First Amendment protects our cherished American right to dissent with America," said Minnesota DFL Chairman Brian Melendez. "By airing these subversive, un-American pro-American messages of assent, these Army guys are creating a virtual Guantamo where we will lose our patriotic American right to unopposed opposition to American policies, such as our cherished right to oppose the un-patriotic First Amendment."

Melendez warned that if the ads are not immediately banned, "it may lead down a slippery slope where un-American newspapers will feel free to print blasphemous cartoons of the prophet Mohammed."
Quote:
CHENEY APOLOGIZES FOR POSSIBLE FUTURE FACE-SHOOTINGS

Washington, DC - A contrite Vice President Dick Cheney today issued a pre-emptive apology to "any and all" people who may fall victim to his future face-shootings.

Speaking with Fox News anchor Brit Hume, Cheney said that "I'm sure I will feel awful after it happens, because I bet that bird shot will sting like a son of a bitch."

The Vice President declined to speculate on when and where his next accidents might take place, and who the victims might be, but added that "I think they have a pretty good idea who they are."
link

In fact any group that takes themselves particularly seriously is funny - and im not saying that it's restricted to the left.

Old 03-19-2006, 01:46 AM   #63
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:58 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
It's true. And too many liberals let conservatives get a rise out of them. The opposite of love isn't hate; it's ambivalence. Once liberals are ambivalent about conservatism and start taking an offensive position in political discourse, I think they'd be much better off.

Melon
Old 03-19-2006, 01:52 AM   #64
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:58 AM
No, be angry - be very very angry - shout that anger from the rooftops - shout it out at fundraisers and on talkshows - offer only complete and utter contempt and opposition to Bush and Republicans - that is the only way that they will ever be taken seriously, continue the not-Bush campaign strategy in 2006 and beyond, please.
Old 03-19-2006, 01:54 AM   #65
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
No, be angry - be very very angry - shout that anger from the rooftops - shout it out at fundraisers and on talkshows - offer only complete and utter contempt and opposition to Bush and Republicans - that is the only way that they will ever be taken seriously, continue the not-Bush campaign strategy in 2006 and beyond, please.
Well, really, the problem is that most Democratic politicians are as wealthy as Republican politicians, even going to the same business and law schools. So I do think it is worth questioning whether Democrats believe what they're saying or if they just see their lot as filling a void in the market.

Melon
Old 03-19-2006, 01:56 AM   #66
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by melon

It's true. And too many liberals let conservatives get a rise out of them. The opposite of love isn't hate; it's ambivalence. Once liberals are ambivalent about conservatism and start taking an offensive position in political discourse, I think they'd be much better off.

Melon
I completely agree, and I think that is the biggest weaknest of the Democratic party right now.
Old 03-19-2006, 01:06 PM   #67
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:58 AM
Quote:

Is that a matter of what is being said, or the reaction to what is being said?
Old 03-19-2006, 01:35 PM   #68
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

Is that a matter of what is being said, or the reaction to what is being said?
Does it matter?
Old 03-19-2006, 05:01 PM   #69
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:58 AM
Quote:
Does it matter?
Absolutely.

What is being said is a matter of intent.

The reaction is how someone feels about what was said.
Old 03-19-2006, 05:53 PM   #70
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:58 AM
NB wins another round

dbs
Old 03-19-2006, 07:01 PM   #71
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

Absolutely.

What is being said is a matter of intent.

The reaction is how someone feels about what was said.
I see what you are saying. Yes it is intent.

Like the example I used before of the "Because Liberals Hate It" billboards, it's used as a means to unite.

Just like the right has turned "liberal" into a bad word.
Old 03-20-2006, 03:35 PM   #72
Blue Crack Supplier

[q]How to spot a baby conservative
KID POLITICS | Whiny children, claims a new study, tend to grow up rigid and traditional. Future liberals, on the other hand ...
Mar. 19, 2006. 10:45 AM
KURT KLEINER
SPECIAL TO THE STAR

Remember the whiny, insecure kid in nursery school, the one who always thought everyone was out to get him, and was always running to the teacher with complaints? Chances are he grew up to be a conservative.

At least, he did if he was one of 95 kids from the Berkeley area that social scientists have been tracking for the last 20 years. The confident, resilient, self-reliant kids mostly grew up to be liberals.

[...]

The confident kids turned out liberal and were still hanging loose, turning into bright, non-conforming adults with wide interests. The girls were still outgoing, but the young men tended to turn a little introspective.

Block admits in his paper that liberal Berkeley is not representative of the whole country. But within his sample, he says, the results hold. He reasons that insecure kids look for the reassurance provided by tradition and authority, and find it in conservative politics. The more confident kids are eager to explore alternatives to the way things are, and find liberal politics more congenial.

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Con...=1142722231554

[/q]
Old 03-20-2006, 03:39 PM   #73
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:58 AM
"Block admits in his paper that liberal Berkeley is not representative of the whole country."

"95 kids from the Berkeley area"
"Berkeley area"
"Berkeley area"

db9
Old 03-20-2006, 03:47 PM   #74
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by diamond
"Block admits in his paper that liberal Berkeley is not representative of the whole country."

"95 kids from the Berkeley area"
"Berkeley area"
"Berkeley area"

db9

[q]In the 1960s Jack Block and his wife and fellow professor Jeanne Block (now deceased) began tracking more than 100 nursery school kids as part of a general study of personality. The kids' personalities were rated at the time by teachers and assistants who had known them for months. There's no reason to think political bias skewed the ratings — the investigators were not looking at political orientation back then. Even if they had been, it's unlikely that 3- and 4-year-olds would have had much idea about their political leanings.[/q]
Old 03-20-2006, 03:52 PM   #75
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:58 PM
Quote:
Plus the Democrats should be hammering home the point that the Republicans are now the party of big government.

Republicans have presided over massive increases in government spending, an increased deficit, an expansion in the already large military industrial complex and overall a big increase in the apparatus of state.

In my view the Democrats should be emphasizing all of these issues.

At this point, the 'Republicans equals the party of small government' meme looks laughably absurd.