Why do you believe in God?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well as for my real answer....I'm just not sure. It is pretty scientifically absurd to think that there is a God. It just seems like such a ridiculous concept. Plus, I don't like the idea that someone else is in control of my life. When I succeed, I look at it as my own success. When I fail, I look at it as my own failure. I'm just not sure....

unosdostres14 said:
It is pretty scientifically absurd to think that there is a God. It just seems like such a ridiculous concept.

Can you elaborate on what you mean by this statement, as if a Christian said "It is absurd to think there is no God" you'd be the first to pull them up on it?

Einstein believed in God, albeit not an interventionist God.

You know, theories of how the universe started are incredibly complex and I doubt if many on here understand them and I certainly don't claim to.

Last edited:
financeguy said:

So your saying that all the bad things in the world are partially the result of human sin? So your God creates humans, gives them free will, allows them to sin (as he knows right well they will) and then punishes them for it?

It's not exactly like that. He created us out of love. I like to think of it kind of like any loving couple who has children — they do it out of love. They want to love the children as they help them grow and get through the world. That's part of how I see God.

The Bible is very clear that God is love. In loving us, yes, he gave us free will. What's the use of me having a son and then controling every step he takes and doing all the thinking for him and taking away his freedome to decide? That would be a crappy life for him.

In terms of allowing us to sin, well that's part of free will too. My boys are going to make mistakes in life, but they'll hopefully learn and grow from them and become better people in the end. Plus, it's important to know what sin is — in Biblical terms (and even according to some secular dictionaries, I might add) the act of simply going against God's commands and will. God, in all his love, lets us do this. He gives us the freedom to chose how we live our lives. He doesn't force us to love him or follow him — that would infringe on our free will.
He also gives us forgiveness of our sins against him through his son, Jesus, as I'm sure you're aware.

Now in terms of punishment, God does discipline us just like any good father would. The Bible is clear about that. I make my nearly 2-year-old son sit in timeout if he hits me or bites me. I do it so he hopefully will learn that hitting and biting are wrong and that he should stop doing it. That's why God disciplines too. To keep us from hurting ourselves and others and to help us live better lives. I would argue that he disciplines Christians more because they've actually chosen to follow him, but that's just my opinion.

If your talking about hell as punishment, well, that's one way to look at it, but maybe not the entire picture. Hell is basically the abscence of God. Because we all have free will and have the freedom to chose to follow our holy God and his will or not, he lets us do that, and based on our decision, lets us spend eternity how WE chose. If we chose to follow him, including accepting his son's sacrifice and his son as our lord, we spend eternity with him. If we chose not to accept him into our lives and chose to follow our own will, then God says "OK, if you don't need me, then I won't make you stay with me for eternity."

The reason God does deserve our praise and worship, (which really is simply our love being expressed for him) is because first, he created us, second he provides for us and third, through his grace and mercy, has redeemed us through his son's sacrifice and resurrection. All we have to do is choose to accept that free gift, which is really a free pass to stay with him in heaven.

Much of the bad stuff in the world is the result of people stepping outside of his will and doing their own thing, or falling into greed. Think of murders, adultery, rape, stealing, drugs, corruption, ect.

This has gone on way too long, but I hope it makes sense.

Back
Top Bottom