Why do some celebrities think they need so much money?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JimmyChicken

Acrobat
I'm not going to mention any names, but why do some celebrities expect to be paid so much money?

Example: movie stars who refuse to do a movie unless they get paid in excess of US$20 million . Sure some of them are talented at what they do, but why do they expect to be paid so much, especially when they already have millions of dollars?

I read in a magazine a couple of weeks back, another actor (who wasn't particularly high profile) said he didn't do cameo apperances because smart parts usually offered small pay checks.

What's going on here? So many people living in poverty and this people expect so much? Does greed go to these celebrities head's to cause them to live in a distorted reality?

The same reason why some athletes do or musicians do, because we allow them to. It's a reality outside of our own. Yes I'm sure greed has something to do with it as well.

I hate to say it but watching some of those 'Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous' shows makes me totally understand how the people who hated the rich so much they started the French revolution felt. There is no need for one person to have that much money, why, to keep jewelers and fashion designers in business and rich too :shrug: I tell you the truth, I could NOT sit there on that much money with all the people who have nothing, even in my own town. It's just wrong. It's a twisted world when people who do the least work get the most money and the people working their butts off the hardest get the least and will never have anything :mad:

JimmyChicken said:

What's going on here? So many people living in poverty and this people expect so much?

They deny for others what they demand for themselves :tsk: :( This line in Crumbs pisses me off so bad, it's like the band is saying that everyone in America is well off and all these poor people in other countries are sitting there waiting for crumbs to drop. Well in my neighborhood they've already been eaten by poor kids and rats. There are millions of poor people living substandard lives in this country and if anyone should and could do something about it, how about those celebrities (no names again!) who are sitting on tens of millions of unused dollars and driving around in half million dollar cars. The Americans I know can hardly pay their bills and keep their cars running. One story that especially pisses me off is one of a famous actress (intials KB) who got sprayed by a mud puddle by a passing motorist and screamed at him that he made her so mad because her hairdo cost more than his car! And that's supposed to make him feel bad:censored:

Does greed go to these celebrities head's to cause them to live in a distorted reality?

Yes. I do believe most celebrities, especially the Hollywood ones, do live in a fantasy world and are totally out of touch with real life, even if they came from a poor family. That's why I never take their politics seriously;)

Last edited:
Re: Re: Why do some celebrities think they need so much money?

U2Kitten said:

They deny for others what they demand for themselves :tsk: :( This line in Crumbs pisses me off so bad, it's like the band is saying that everyone in America is well off and all these poor people in other countries are sitting there waiting for crumbs to drop.

I don't recall America ever being mentioned in that song, in fact I've always seen it as the richer countries ignoring the poorer countries not just America.

That being said, yes we have many of poor families in this country far too many, but the majority of the poor here still have it much better than millions out there in other countries.

Re: Re: Re: Why do some celebrities think they need so much money?

BonoVoxSupastar said:

I don't recall America ever being mentioned in that song, in fact I've always seen it as the richer countries ignoring the poorer countries not just America.

Of course not, but it is the obvious consensus among the fans that it is, and yes not just the US but Europe and other 'richer' countries too, but I'm sure they all have their share of poor too.

That being said, yes we have many of poor families in this country far too many, but the majority of the poor here still have it much better than millions out there in other countries.

But you have to consider, the poor here live in a world where prices are very high and you can't get by. In other countries where most other people have nothing either, it's not the same as having nothing here. In some countries, 8 bucks an hour is a fortune, but you can't live on that here, hell you can barely live on twice that in most places. That's why outsourcing is so evil (well to American workers anyway)

I saw these people on TV one day, they were complaining about the US protesters shutting down the 'sweat shops' where kids make small salaries in underdeveloped nations. These people, residents of the countries, said that they WANTED them because even if they only got a dollar a day and had to work 10 hours that was better than anyone else around there got. They said that most westerners were so out of touch they couldn't image that someone would value that job. In their country, things are cheaper so that's not so bad for them as it would be here. The people also said that when some of those shops were shut down by activists (they said they were mostly well off US college kids who didn't have a clue) that some of the workers, mostly young girls, had to turn to prostitution to make up for the lost money! So there is a totally different standard of cost of living in other places.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Why do some celebrities think they need so much money?

U2Kitten said:

But you have to consider, the poor here live in a world where prices are very high and you can't get by. In other countries where most other people have nothing either, it's not the same as having nothing here. In some countries, 8 bucks an hour is a fortune, but you can't live on that here, hell you can barely live on twice that in most places. That's why outsourcing is so evil (well to American workers anyway)

I saw these people on TV one day, they were complaining about the US protesters shutting down the 'sweat shops' where kids make small salaries in underdeveloped nations. These people, residents of the countries, said that they WANTED them because even if they only got a dollar a day and had to work 10 hours that was better than anyone else around there got. They said that most westerners were so out of touch they couldn't image that someone would value that job. In their country, things are cheaper so that's not so bad for them as it would be here. The people also said that when some of those shops were shut down by activists (they said they were mostly well off US college kids who didn't have a clue) that some of the workers, mostly young girls, had to turn to prostitution to make up for the lost money! So there is a totally different standard of cost of living in other places.

Another time another thread. I don't agree with any of this but I'll refrain in order to stay on topic.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Why do some celebrities think they need so much money?

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Another time another thread. I don't agree with any of this but I'll refrain in order to stay on topic.

It's all totally true and something to consider. Maybe you've never had to live on a low amount of money in a place where the standard of living and prices are set for people who make much more but I have. The sweat shop thing was on PBS, it happened. You're one of those liberal Americans who think they know it all but some people over there think you haven't got a friggin clue.

It's all relative: the money my husband makes will only qualify us for a house of $160,000. In some places in the US, even my old home town, you can get a beautiful home for that. But where I live, you can only get a dump, or somewhere in an undesirable crack ridden neighborhood. I could send you the realty ads if you don't believe me. I've heard in some places in CA and NY you have to pay $1000 a month for a one bedroom dive. Now look at the dirt poor countries. In a place where people live in mud shacks, or houses are only about 100 US dollars, 8 bucks an hour is a fortune, and 1 dollar a day is a liveable wage, whereas where I am $21 bucks an hour is a struggle. That's what I mean. You can't compare, the situations are too different.

But this is why so many companies move out of the country. While paying 8 dollars an hour is wonderful to people over there, people here can't live on it. Also, the saddest thing is, these are jobs that would pay 30 to 40 bucks an hour here, so the company is saving a lot of money, but the people put out of a job can no longer afford their home or keep their kids in college.

Last edited:
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Why do some celebrities think they need so much money?

U2Kitten said:

It's all totally true and something to consider. Maybe you've never had to live on a low amount of money in a place where the standard of living and prices are set for people who make much more but I have. The sweat shop thing was on PBS, it happened.

I've been poor. I'm not saying what you said wasn't true I just don't think it supports your argument the way you think it does, there are far too many factors you are leaving out. Like I said another thread.

U2Kitten said:

You're one of those liberal Americans who think they know it all but some people over there think you haven't got a friggin clue.

This is completely unfucking-called for. You have no idea what I've seen in my life, what I've experienced, or where I've been.

Last edited:
I think the worse are the rappers who not only make a ridiculous amount of money, spend it on the craziest things but then all their songs are about how much money the make. Very odd.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Why do some celebrities think they need so much money?

BonoVoxSupastar said:

This is completely unfucking-called for. You have no idea what I've seen in my life, what I've experienced, or where I've been.

No but I have read your posts. I too have been misjudged by my posts, I know it's a bad feeling. I just didn't know what else you could possibly have meant by that. But as you say, another thread.

Oh, I don't think "Crumbs" is in any way an indictment of America or the West. "Running to Stand Still", for example, was about Dublin, so was "Bad", and that's the West. "Rich country" is a general statement, a term of convenience, if you will. Bono has also stated that he's lucky as heck to be a celebrity because he says most people do have to worry about paying bills, but he doesn't. That says it all right there for me. I think alot of celebrities are really out to lunch as per the life of ordinary people like us. There have always been really bad neighborhoods in Birmingham, and people are struggling with bills, in debt, and all sorts of crud. I play Lotto every time I visit Georgia.

JimmyChicken said:
I'm not going to mention any names, but why do some celebrities expect to be paid so much money?

Example: movie stars who refuse to do a movie unless they get paid in excess of US$20 million . Sure some of them are talented at what they do, but why do they expect to be paid so much, especially when they already have millions of dollars?

Because people like you and me continue to see the movies, buy the DVD's, etc.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Why do some celebrities think they need so much money?

U2Kitten said:

It's all totally true and something to consider. Maybe you've never had to live on a low amount of money in a place where the standard of living and prices are set for people who make much more but I have. The sweat shop thing was on PBS, it happened. You're one of those liberal Americans who think they know it all but some people over there think you haven't got a friggin clue.

It's all relative: the money my husband makes will only qualify us for a house of $160,000. In some places in the US, even my old home town, you can get a beautiful home for that. But where I live, you can only get a dump, or somewhere in an undesirable crack ridden neighborhood. I could send you the realty ads if you don't believe me. I've heard in some places in CA and NY you have to pay $1000 a month for a one bedroom dive. Now look at the dirt poor countries. In a place where people live in mud shacks, or houses are only about 100 US dollars, 8 bucks an hour is a fortune, and 1 dollar a day is a liveable wage, whereas where I am $21 bucks an hour is a struggle. That's what I mean. You can't compare, the situations are too different.

But this is why so many companies move out of the country. While paying 8 dollars an hour is wonderful to people over there, people here can't live on it. Also, the saddest thing is, these are jobs that would pay 30 to 40 bucks an hour here, so the company is saving a lot of money, but the people put out of a job can no longer afford their home or keep their kids in college.

Playing devil's advocate for a second, how much do you think your computer would cost if it was completely manufactured (not just assembled a la Dell) but all components made in the US ? Probably 5 times as much as you paid.

Same goes with the clothes you're wearing, etc.

So, there is an upside to outsourcing for the consumer, it does help keep many higher end jobs in the US.

It HAS gotten ridiculous though, and if enough people rail against it, there will be a backlash and the trend might reverse somewhat.

I was just thinking this morning about how sub-standard the movies have been over the past few years. It makes me wonder why the actors in them are getting paid so much?
Maybe the public needs to be more discriminating when buying movie tickets or dvds.
Maybe if the movie companies hired actors who were actors and not just in for the money, we would have beter actors and better movies.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Why do some celebrities think they need so much money?

cardosino said:

Playing devil's advocate for a second, how much do you think your computer would cost if it was completely manufactured (not just assembled a la Dell) but all components made in the US ? Probably 5 times as much as you paid.

Same goes with the clothes you're wearing, etc.

So, there is an upside to outsourcing for the consumer, it does help keep many higher end jobs in the US.

It HAS gotten ridiculous though, and if enough people rail against it, there will be a backlash and the trend might reverse somewhat.

Corperations can afford it though. It's wrong to make someone leave a place the may have been living in for a long time, to make them move their family, alter their spouse's career as well, pull theri children out of school, away from their friends, it is wrong to make a person totally change their life just so you, the corperation, can make more money. It's totally selfish.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Why do some celebrities think they need so much money

namkcuR said:

Corperations can afford it though.

They can ? Mine can't. We have manufacturing in SE Asia, and if we didn't have it we'd be out of business.

They could afford it if they wanted to, some of these companies have CEO's with 7 figure salaries while telling some Joe on the assembly line he can't afford his $15 per hour and health care:( The name for this is GREED- the less you have to pay your worker, the more you hoard in profits. There are also tax breaks for sending work overseas :sigh:

JimmyChicken said:

I read in a magazine a couple of weeks back, another actor (who wasn't particularly high profile) said he didn't do cameo apperances because smart parts usually offered small pay checks.

What's going on here? So many people living in poverty and this people expect so much? Does greed go to these celebrities head's to cause them to live in a distorted reality?

Back to the original topic:

Hollywood economics are not much different than our own, only they deal with larger sums of money and things we would term "ego" are considered "reputation".

If you think about it, celebrities keep getting these inflated paychecks because the public keeps paying into the system.

U2Kitten said:
They could afford it if they wanted to,

Not necessarily. I know for a fact ours couldn't. Analysis of SEC filings will tell you if a company can or cannot afford it.

U2Kitten said:

some of these companies have CEO's with 7 figure salaries while telling some Joe on the assembly line he can't afford his $15 per hour and health care:( The name for this is GREED- the less you have to pay your worker, the more you hoard in profits. There are also tax breaks for sending work overseas :sigh:

The name for this is also competitiveness. These guys (the CEO's) get those kinds of salaries because they are often the very best at what they do.

A CEO getting say $1M/year is peanuts compared to what it would cost to pay a workforce of say 20,000 people in the US vs. subcontracting out. 20,000 people making $15/hr really costs about $25/hr including benefits. The math is simple.

I'm not defending outsourcing to the extent that it goes on today, I think they've gone over the top, btu are American consumers really willign to pay the high costs of goods made in the US ? I doubt it. CEO's have a responsibility to their shareholders first and foremost, you may not like it but that's the reality. Yes, it's Greed, but it's the cumulative greed of anyone who invests in a mutual fund, buys any kind of security, etc. We want decent rates of return don't we ?

A CEO's salary is a drop in the bucket of overall corporate expenditures.

So what it means is, the rich get richer, and the poor get poorer- and lose their jobs, while a lot of fatcats in offices and investing in mutual funds gain millions on their backs!

U2Kitten said:
So what it means is, the rich get richer, and the poor get poorer- and lose their jobs, while a lot of fatcats in offices and investing in mutual funds gain millions on their backs!

This also is a topic for another thread, but I can't help but wonder how you are a Bush supporter and still talk like this. This kind of rhetoric is more suited for a Depression-era Democrat.

Not that I disagree ....

U2Kitten said:

Do you have a 401K ? Then you're likelyinvesting in a mutual fund.

Do you have a savings account ? Then you're a stock market investor.

Are you doing any retirement planning ? then you're probably an indirect stock market investor.

cardosino said:

Do you have a 401K ? Then you're likelyinvesting in a mutual fund.

Do you have a savings account ? Then you're a stock market investor.

Are you doing any retirement planning ? then you're probably an indirect stock market investor.

Ha. I have none of the above. I live paycheck to paycheck, riding in the last few days on a wing and a prayer. Retirement? What a joke, I still have to worry about raising my kids, and even living that long!

I do not blame Bush totally for this. You think this wasn't happening under Clinton? This did not happen overnight, or in the last 4 years. I've been hearing about this in some form all my life. It's corporate greed.

Last edited:
and there's been no bigger friend to America's corporations than the Bush administration.

it's another guilded age.

No president is innocent. It was under Clinton that they of human rights violations and Tienemen (sp) Square went from being boycotted to 'most favored nation' status- now try to find something, especially toys and plastic items, that isn't made in China. That was a huge cheap labor force that took a bite out of American home grown manufacturing :(

you're absolutely right, Clinton was a friend to big business -- but the Bush administration puts even him to shame.

NOBODY cares about the little guy, he hasn't got any money :grumpy: I have faith in no politician honestly caring about the average worker:(

maybe if the little guy started voting out of his pocketbook rather than "cultural/moral values," more politicians woudl get the message.

highly recommended reading: "what's the matter with kansas."

Back
Top Bottom