Why do some celebrities think they need so much money? - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-11-2005, 09:18 AM   #46
Refugee

Local Time: 09:49 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by strannix

Sorry, I meant that sarcastically. It was originally going to be a much longer post in which the sarcasm would have been more obvious, but I abandoned it and what remained had no context.

As far as I know, Ken Lay hasn't given back a penny.
I was wondering if you were pulling my chain. Snerk. I guess my sarcasm radar was off.

Old 01-11-2005, 09:20 AM   #47
Acrobat

Local Time: 03:49 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2Kitten
I don't think y'all get it, I'm not taking up for Bush, I'm just saying Clinton was no better and Kerry wouldn't be either. I get SO tired of everything wrong with the world being mentioned and the next thing you know here comes somebody with the 'this administration' speech again. There are other evil men and other factors, you know. The corportations themselves bear a huge part of the blame. The president, regardless of who he is, is not a dictator and can do nothing without congress anyway, so he shouldn't be blamed or credited any more than them. And I do believe ALL politicians are payed off by special interest, none of which is of interest to people with no money (like me) Yes, I'm cynical and disillusioned, I have been for years now and don't see it going away
I know you're not taking up for Bush on this score, but you do support him in general terms, and that's a hard fact to ignore when you start talking about how the little guy is getting screwed. And it shows not just a little bit of denial to blame the President for not being able to control a Congress that is dominated by his own party.

Since neither of us care to pull punches, I'll be blunt. Just throwing up your shoulders and saying "politicians are all the same" is a very lazy way of thinking about the problem. I don't see why cynicism and disillusionment should serve as a crutch to lean on in order to avoid making hard choices, and I'm pretty cynical and disillusioned myself.

If you really care about this, you owe it to yourself to take a hard look at the people you vote for, and find out which serves your interests the best. I understand that the abortion issue is very important to you, and that may mean some difficult choices. But that's how it is, everyone has to make trade-offs. You can't justify not making those choices by ignoring the important differences between politicians and still expect anyone to take you seriously.

Old 01-11-2005, 09:21 AM   #48
Acrobat

Local Time: 03:49 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Golightly Grrl

I was wondering if you were pulling my chain. Snerk. I guess my sarcasm radar was off.
No, no. My fault.
Old 01-18-2005, 09:02 AM   #49
Acrobat

Local Time: 09:49 AM
Hmmm... I wasn't expecting quite so much dicussion on this issue...
Old 01-18-2005, 10:34 AM   #50
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:49 AM
Strannix, I did not vote for Kerry because I did not believe he cared about the little guy getting screwed, in fact I didn't believe anything he said. Well, at this point I can't think of a politician I do believe. I never could understand why everyone here thought Kerry was the salvation of the country. Not being Bush isn't good enough. He doesn't care either! Look ALL policians take money from lobbyists, and NO ONE cares about the little guy. Why should they, he doesn't have any $$$!
Old 01-18-2005, 04:01 PM   #51
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:49 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by JimmyChicken
Hmmm... I wasn't expecting quite so much dicussion on this issue...
Ah. Money. That always touches nerves.