Why do some celebrities think they need so much money? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-10-2005, 08:15 AM   #16
The Fly

Local Time: 01:44 PM
I was just thinking this morning about how sub-standard the movies have been over the past few years. It makes me wonder why the actors in them are getting paid so much?
Maybe the public needs to be more discriminating when buying movie tickets or dvds.
Maybe if the movie companies hired actors who were actors and not just in for the money, we would have beter actors and better movies.

Old 01-10-2005, 08:41 AM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:44 AM
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Why do some celebrities think they need so much money?

Quote:
Originally posted by cardosino

Playing devil's advocate for a second, how much do you think your computer would cost if it was completely manufactured (not just assembled a la Dell) but all components made in the US ? Probably 5 times as much as you paid.

Same goes with the clothes you're wearing, etc.

So, there is an upside to outsourcing for the consumer, it does help keep many higher end jobs in the US.

It HAS gotten ridiculous though, and if enough people rail against it, there will be a backlash and the trend might reverse somewhat.
Corperations can afford it though. It's wrong to make someone leave a place the may have been living in for a long time, to make them move their family, alter their spouse's career as well, pull theri children out of school, away from their friends, it is wrong to make a person totally change their life just so you, the corperation, can make more money. It's totally selfish.

Old 01-10-2005, 08:47 AM   #18
War Child

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Why do some celebrities think they need so much money

Quote:
Originally posted by namkcuR

Corperations can afford it though.

They can ? Mine can't. We have manufacturing in SE Asia, and if we didn't have it we'd be out of business.
Old 01-10-2005, 09:07 AM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

They could afford it if they wanted to, some of these companies have CEO's with 7 figure salaries while telling some Joe on the assembly line he can't afford his $15 per hour and health care The name for this is GREED- the less you have to pay your worker, the more you hoard in profits. There are also tax breaks for sending work overseas
Old 01-10-2005, 09:14 AM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:44 AM
Re: Why do some celebrities think they need so much money?

Quote:
Originally posted by JimmyChicken
I'm not going to mention any names, but why do some celebrities expect to be paid so much money?

Example: movie stars who refuse to do a movie unless they get paid in excess of US$20 million . Sure some of them are talented at what they do, but why do they expect to be paid so much, especially when they already have millions of dollars?

I read in a magazine a couple of weeks back, another actor (who wasn't particularly high profile) said he didn't do cameo apperances because smart parts usually offered small pay checks.

What's going on here? So many people living in poverty and this people expect so much? Does greed go to these celebrities head's to cause them to live in a distorted reality?
Back to the original topic:

Hollywood economics are not much different than our own, only they deal with larger sums of money and things we would term "ego" are considered "reputation".

If you think about it, celebrities keep getting these inflated paychecks because the public keeps paying into the system.
Old 01-10-2005, 09:26 AM   #21
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Kitten
They could afford it if they wanted to,

Not necessarily. I know for a fact ours couldn't. Analysis of SEC filings will tell you if a company can or cannot afford it.

Quote:

some of these companies have CEO's with 7 figure salaries while telling some Joe on the assembly line he can't afford his $15 per hour and health care The name for this is GREED- the less you have to pay your worker, the more you hoard in profits. There are also tax breaks for sending work overseas
The name for this is also competitiveness. These guys (the CEO's) get those kinds of salaries because they are often the very best at what they do.

A CEO getting say $1M/year is peanuts compared to what it would cost to pay a workforce of say 20,000 people in the US vs. subcontracting out. 20,000 people making $15/hr really costs about $25/hr including benefits. The math is simple.

I'm not defending outsourcing to the extent that it goes on today, I think they've gone over the top, btu are American consumers really willign to pay the high costs of goods made in the US ? I doubt it. CEO's have a responsibility to their shareholders first and foremost, you may not like it but that's the reality. Yes, it's Greed, but it's the cumulative greed of anyone who invests in a mutual fund, buys any kind of security, etc. We want decent rates of return don't we ?

A CEO's salary is a drop in the bucket of overall corporate expenditures.
Old 01-10-2005, 09:51 AM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

So what it means is, the rich get richer, and the poor get poorer- and lose their jobs, while a lot of fatcats in offices and investing in mutual funds gain millions on their backs!
Old 01-10-2005, 10:02 AM   #23
Acrobat

Local Time: 07:44 AM
Quote:
So what it means is, the rich get richer, and the poor get poorer- and lose their jobs, while a lot of fatcats in offices and investing in mutual funds gain millions on their backs!
This also is a topic for another thread, but I can't help but wonder how you are a Bush supporter and still talk like this. This kind of rhetoric is more suited for a Depression-era Democrat.

Not that I disagree ....
Old 01-10-2005, 10:14 AM   #24
War Child

Quote:
Do you have a 401K ? Then you're likelyinvesting in a mutual fund.

Do you have a savings account ? Then you're a stock market investor.

Are you doing any retirement planning ? then you're probably an indirect stock market investor.
Old 01-10-2005, 12:02 PM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by cardosino

Do you have a 401K ? Then you're likelyinvesting in a mutual fund.

Do you have a savings account ? Then you're a stock market investor.

Are you doing any retirement planning ? then you're probably an indirect stock market investor.
Ha. I have none of the above. I live paycheck to paycheck, riding in the last few days on a wing and a prayer. Retirement? What a joke, I still have to worry about raising my kids, and even living that long!

I do not blame Bush totally for this. You think this wasn't happening under Clinton? This did not happen overnight, or in the last 4 years. I've been hearing about this in some form all my life. It's corporate greed.
Old 01-10-2005, 12:05 PM   #26
Blue Crack Supplier

and there's been no bigger friend to America's corporations than the Bush administration.

it's another guilded age.
Old 01-10-2005, 12:10 PM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

No president is innocent. It was under Clinton that they of human rights violations and Tienemen (sp) Square went from being boycotted to 'most favored nation' status- now try to find something, especially toys and plastic items, that isn't made in China. That was a huge cheap labor force that took a bite out of American home grown manufacturing
Old 01-10-2005, 12:12 PM   #28
Blue Crack Supplier

you're absolutely right, Clinton was a friend to big business -- but the Bush administration puts even him to shame.
Old 01-10-2005, 12:16 PM   #29
Blue Crack Addict

NOBODY cares about the little guy, he hasn't got any money I have faith in no politician honestly caring about the average worker
Old 01-10-2005, 12:20 PM   #30
Blue Crack Supplier

maybe if the little guy started voting out of his pocketbook rather than "cultural/moral values," more politicians woudl get the message.

highly recommended reading: "what's the matter with kansas."