Why Do People Worry? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-03-2005, 12:29 PM   #16
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 05:06 PM

I'm always worrying. If I suddenly realize that there is nothing that I'm worrying about, I worry that I'm forgetting to worry about something.

Bonochick [at] interference.com
Old 11-03-2005, 12:35 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:06 PM
Perhaps men worry less because they are more willing to disassociate themselves with the things that can lead to worry (such as a spouse or children).

Old 11-03-2005, 12:47 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:06 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
Perhaps men worry less because they are more willing to disassociate themselves with the things that can lead to worry (such as a spouse or children).
Why are they more willing to do that, if they are? Some, not all of course. To "disassociate" oneself from spouse/children seems strange to me. How do you mean that exactly, if you don't mind me asking?
Old 11-03-2005, 01:11 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:06 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen

Why are they more willing to do that, if they are? Some, not all of course. To "disassociate" oneself from spouse/children seems strange to me. How do you mean that exactly, if you don't mind me asking?
Men are probably far more likely to abandon their families than woman. Sure there are plenty of men who love their wives and children - but if you look at the stats, there are far more single mothers than single fathers (as primary care givers).

Is there an easy nature/nurture explaination? I don't know. Whether it is an overriding feeling of responsibility, an emotional attachment, a maternal instinct - it's not really clear.
Old 11-03-2005, 03:38 PM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:06 PM
I think excessive worry and anxiety--when not caused by actual danger--are often tied to nutritional deficiencies, especially calcium and magnesium. There is significant medical evidence for this but also just in my own experience I used to worry excessively and since I've been working with a nutritionist for the last 4 years it's actually difficult for me to worry much anymore--or when I do catch myself worrying I can stop. I used to also have a debilitating fear of public speaking and now I give presentations at big meetings all the time with just a tiny bit of nervousness. Part of that is experience, but a bigger part I think is that I'm physically healthier. I'm sure worry is probably caused by a combination of many things, though--nutrition, allergies, external conditions, childhood fears that were never resolved, etc.
Old 11-03-2005, 04:38 PM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

Men are probably far more likely to abandon their families than woman. Sure there are plenty of men who love their wives and children - but if you look at the stats, there are far more single mothers than single fathers (as primary care givers).
Thanks, I see what you mean. I guess you must be able to be pretty worry free to do that, although you can emotionally abandon them and still be physically there.

I think worry is a combination of factors, and I don't know if one can ever truly break free of the tendency to worry. You can work on it though.
Old 11-05-2005, 12:16 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 10:06 PM
I see big difference between "worry" and "obsessing" -- it's natural to be worried/quite anxious for the people you care for -- especially when they are out and you don't know where they are and what they're doing

But if you become obsessive -- tons of phone calls & sms just asking "where are you/are you ok/etc. -- there's a problem

Knowing that someone worries for me always makes me feel protected, loved in a way...
But too much is too much
Old 11-05-2005, 02:58 PM   #23
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl
I think excessive worry and anxiety--when not caused by actual danger--are often tied to nutritional deficiencies, especially calcium and magnesium.
Interestingly, magnesium increases my anxiety, while calcium decreases it. But, over the last couple years, I've found that I can maintain a rather "zen-like" attitude only with high quality vegetable protein.

Melon
Old 11-05-2005, 06:12 PM   #24
Jesus Online

Local Time: 08:06 AM
calcium and magnesium levels rely on each other.