why do people think there'll ever be peace? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-22-2005, 01:44 AM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:14 AM
why do people think there'll ever be peace?

is it to keep the ma7ority of us sane people from going insane at the thought of there never being anything more than what currently exists?

does anyone really believe israel and palestine/the middle east will ever get along?

does anyone think that poverty will ever disappear, even in such large scales like in africa?

and of course does ANYONE ever think the "war on terror" will ever be "won"? i mean seriously...does anyone ever believe the president of the united states of america when he says they will fight "until" the war on terror is complete?

what about the war on drugs? is that over yet? when are we pulling out on that?

the terms used by politicians and media are hilarious if you really think about it.

there never was peace on earth, and i really wonder how many people think there ever will be.

ultimately, do humans say these things only because we need an ideal to strive for?

Old 12-22-2005, 02:43 AM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 11:14 PM
Yeah, probably. The war is a wonderful metaphor for stuff. Also it stifles dissent.

We're at war, caisenema! We've always been at war! I should know, sir, I've ALWAYS been here...

Old 12-22-2005, 03:04 AM   #3
Refugee

Local Time: 01:14 PM
I don't know if there ever will be peace, but to assume that there will not be is lame. It allows people to be lazy and allow evil to surround us all.
Old 12-22-2005, 03:26 AM   #4
ONE
love, blood, life

A peaceful world is not neccessarily a free world.
Old 12-22-2005, 03:33 AM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie

"I'm sick of hearing again and again
"That there's (never*) gonna be peace on earth"
~ Bono

Lyrics originally written in 98
Revised in fall 01
Old 12-22-2005, 03:38 AM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 07:14 AM
I think it's not nearly as far-fetched an idea as people make it sound. Of course a peaceful world isn't likely now-it's kinda hard, after all, to get anything done if one just sits there and is like, "Well, it's never gonna happen, so why bother?".

But if people actually weren't so cynical and actually worked hard at trying to achieve more peaceful relations and getting everyone to get along well, then yeah, I think all these sorts of things could be possible.

Angela
Old 12-22-2005, 05:24 AM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 09:44 AM
At the time, who thought slavery would end, who thought people of different races would marry, who thought China and India would recover from their tremendous poverty to lead the 21st century in economic growth, who thought gays and lesbians would be openly accepted in our societies, who thought the world would be proven to be a sphere, and I'm sure there are many others improbabilities which at the time were thought to be a ridiculous belief.

Lots of supposedly impossible things have come to pass through understanding and the capacity of human beings to rise above petty discriminations. You're right about the political spin on war on drugs, terror, those aren't actual achievable goals. Who thought the United States of America would be one of the largest trading partners of the largest communist nation on earth, China? The reason, political ideologies are ignored when it comes to economics, Cuba is treated as a pariah by the US while China is embraced. Poverty has already been eliminated on a large scale in many parts of the world as well as many diseases, of course there are many areas which still need assistance to achieve complete success but we have proven already that we can create change.

Lots of improbable things come true in our world. Why? HOPE, there is always hope.
Old 12-22-2005, 05:28 AM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

What do we mean by peace, there are some examples of peace that I would find thoroughly unacceptable.

Peace of the Grave?

Peace of Subjegation?

Peace in Our Time?

Peace in All Time?
Old 12-22-2005, 05:57 AM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Well no, I don't think that poverty or racism will ever disappear completely or that there will ever be world-wide peace.

However I think it's entirely possible to imagine the world that may not be completely free of all the evils but is still better than what it is now.
Old 12-22-2005, 08:26 AM   #10
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:14 AM
At the bare minimum, religion will always ensure the very violent world it claims to defend against. Why? "It's God's will." Hence, the logic is that those who work for world peace are atheists going against "God's will."

This may not be the conscious argument of today, per se, but guess which groups opposed the smallpox vaccine? That was "God's punishment for sin," don't you know? Thankfully, back in those days, governments had no qualms about holding people down and forcibly vaccinating them. Maybe we need to do this to the Amish to eradicate polio, since they're in the way.

This is also why there's been a lot of "Christian Zionism" these days. It's not support for the Jews. It's the hope that having the Jews and the Palestinians kill each other will spark Armageddon and the Second Coming. After all, Jerry Falwell sees the "silver lining" in such a scenario; all the Palestinians and 3/4 of the Jews will be killed, with the remaining converting to Christianity. Good times!

Melon
Old 12-22-2005, 08:31 AM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life

I think you are identifying the type of peace that prosthelyzing religions are built for, complete and total dominion over the globe and absolute power. Until their peace is realised then there can only be conflict with their competition.
Old 12-22-2005, 08:38 AM   #12
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:14 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
I think you are identifying the type of peace that prosthelyzing religions are built for, complete and total dominion over the globe and absolute power. Until their peace is realised then there can only be conflict with their competition.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pnac
Old 12-22-2005, 08:56 AM   #13
ONE
love, blood, life

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_interest
Old 12-22-2005, 08:58 AM   #14
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:14 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spheres_of_influence
Old 12-22-2005, 09:00 AM   #15