why do people think there'll ever be peace? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-22-2005, 09:11 AM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 12:09 AM
Well guys, we can swap wikipedia links all night, but I'm off to bed now, perchance to dream of Patrick Bateman.

Old 12-22-2005, 11:34 AM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:09 PM
We'll never completely get rid of evil. That's unthinkable. As long as there are human beings on this planet we'll have evil. That doesn't mean we shouldn't try to do good things and encourage things like peace.

Old 12-22-2005, 11:48 AM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 09:09 AM
^ I agree, verte.
Old 12-22-2005, 04:27 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:09 AM
This is the world of duality. We only know peace because we have war, we only know light because of darkness, etc. We are not at peace within ourselves, how can there be peace outside of us? Sure we can feel "at peace" inside at certain times but for the most part there's a battle raging within our own minds.
Old 12-22-2005, 06:13 PM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:09 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by nathan1977
"I'm sick of hearing again and again
"That there's (never*) gonna be peace on earth"
~ Bono

Lyrics originally written in 98
Revised in fall 01
well sorry to break it to you bono, but i'll give you a crisp 100 dollar bill the day the world has "peace".

read 7oyful girl's last post here, that partly explains what i'm trying to say.

as long as heaven's not on earth, earth will continue to be

earth.

and the earth since the beginning of time, since adam and eve, since the stars first exploded in the sky, has known violence.

it's what we are.

but i agree with the sentiment that people should at least try and make things better anyway. it's a fight worth fighting for.
Old 12-22-2005, 08:33 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 10:39 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl
This is the world of duality. We only know peace because we have war, we only know light because of darkness, etc. We are not at peace within ourselves, how can there be peace outside of us? Sure we can feel "at peace" inside at certain times but for the most part there's a battle raging within our own minds.
That’s very well said. We all do have the battle inside of us--and it’s the same battle the world over, in each person of each nation.

Sadly, I think that what’s keeping us from reaching peace is the fear of the other. It's this fear that often mutates into religious fundamentalism, which, in turn, creates more fear.

Everyone craves validation…that’s the bottom line. Whether you’re starving in Africa, or a “struggling” stockbroker in New York, ultimately you want your life to mean something. The pressure and tension arrives when that validation doesn’t happen. You isolate yourself, create your own space that you can control, and build a big fence between your neighbours. Globally, it’s easier to be ignorant of another culture when you’re just looking in on television, or connecting it with an attack on your city.

There’s also the big question of corporate greed, and how’s truly perpetuating the divide between the haves and have-nots. Along with continual downsizing and mechanization, the current global business model tells workers that they’re disposable.

The latest phenomenon is how this corporate philosophy is infiltrating--even controlling—our respective governments. In watching the United States, we’ve seen how it can physically ruin lives, and mostly those of the poor, with actual wars that are fought on behalf of oil companies and huge conglomerates. I’m not sure what the answers are here, but I do know we have to keep asking questions. We need better politicians, and better decision makers. Everyone deserves full participatory rights in shaping society, not simply a chosen few.

Ultimately, I see technology as a liberating force in the search for peace. In many ways we actually know more about each other than ever before. We’ve got Google Earth, television, the internet. However, it’s as if our hearts haven’t kept pace with our minds.

I think that will be the deal-breaker for humanity—the fact that we’ve got all the tools and technology to create something close to heaven on earth, but what happens next? Do we have the will and the desire to make it happen?

I’m betting that we do. If a website about four guys in a band from Ireland can bring us together, then surely there's a potential for great things to happen.
Old 12-23-2005, 01:12 AM   #22
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:09 AM
well said angel, but i disagree with your last paragraph.

we do NOT have it in us, and there's enough people in power that would rather bring the entire world down with them if worse came to worse.
Old 12-23-2005, 02:39 AM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 10:39 AM
Well, here is how it all ends. F*ck Dat!

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/flash/endofworld.html
Old 12-23-2005, 09:54 AM   #24
The Fly

Local Time: 09:09 AM
I wondered the same thing. I've met people who believe in peace on Earth. And still... I just can't believe it. Since humans learned how to think, they've never stopped fighting. Even if it's just for a female, for territories like animals (in a fancy way now, of course, with bombs and guns), in the name of religion, since milleniums... Why would it stop ? Even though some of us might be pacifists, who's gonna listen to us ? We are nothing... next to war