Why Did Kerry Lose? - Page 7 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-28-2004, 10:45 AM   #91
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:10 AM
Rolling Stone interview w/ David Gergen and two analysts I've never heard of..

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics...region=single7

"We haven't discussed the war on terrorism. Wasn't the deck kind of stacked against Kerry -- challenging an incumbent president during a time of terrible uncertainty?

HART: That certainly is key. I have no doubt in my mind: If there had not been the terrorism threat, George Bush would have lost this election, and lost it decisively. It enabled him to run as the war president. Voters felt it was about safety.

GERGEN: Peter is absolutely right. Prior to 9/11, George Bush was on the arc of a difficult presidency. He would have been a one-term president. The way he rose to the occasion during the weeks after 9/11 was what convinced voters that he would be the safer choice. He did not win because of Iraq -- he won despite Iraq.

How much of this goes to Kerry's inability to connect with voters?

HART: Kerry always thought it was about IQ. But it was really about "I like." He never connected. I asked people, "What would it be like to have John Kerry as your next-door neighbor?" You know what they said? "High hedges" [laughter].

TEIXEIRA: Not a good sign."

Old 11-28-2004, 11:03 AM   #92
The Fly

Another Election 2004 political fact: If it weren't for the Iraq situation of establishing democracy (in progress) in the middle of the Middle East, President BUSH Jr. would have won re-election in a landslide! This belief is that rare something on which ALL political analysts (R&D) agree. In either scenario, KERRY is/was a loser.

Old 11-28-2004, 12:33 PM   #93
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 09:10 AM
I don't know...

I see Bush as too conservative, but I saw Kerry as too liberal. I think the undecideds might've heard the "L-word" a lot, and it was used like a bad thing. It's a little harder to make "conservative" a bad word, unless you're talking to liberals only.
Old 11-28-2004, 12:35 PM   #94
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:10 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Macfistowannabe
I don't know...

I see Bush as too conservative, but I saw Kerry as too liberal. I think the undecideds might've heard the "L-word" a lot, and it was used like a bad thing. It's a little harder to make "conservative" a bad word, unless you're talking to liberals only.
exactly right. correct me if i'm wrong but the "l-word" was made bad under reagan.
Old 11-28-2004, 06:48 PM   #95
The Fly

The "L" word was made naughty not by President RWR (who won 49 out of 50 states in 1984) butt by Democrat candydates like:

* Hubert Humphrey ['68] ("I'd be as pleased as punch.")

* Geo McGovern ['72] ("Oh! No!)

* Walty Mondale ['84] ("I will raise your taxes!")

* Michael Du-tax-us ['88] (especially riding around aimlessly and bobbing about in that armored tank wearing the loose helmet)
Old 11-28-2004, 06:53 PM   #96
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:10 PM
My lips are sealed because I don't want to say anything I may regret.
Old 11-28-2004, 08:03 PM   #97
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:10 AM

The more I think about Kerry's defeat, the more I realize it's all George Bush's fault

thank u,
db9
Old 11-29-2004, 05:54 AM   #98
Blue Crack Addict

Well, George McGovern basically got buried, so to speak, because of his liberalism. This is why the Democrats moved to the right in 1976. They say what sank Humphrey was his support of the Vietnam War, which got very unpopular. Mondale wouldn't have been elected if he hadn't done the taxes thing anyway, Reagan was very popular. The tax thing is never a good idea when you're running for public office.
Old 11-29-2004, 10:04 AM   #99
ONE
love, blood, life

Here's another reason-
click link:

http://www.suntimes.com/output/laney...t-laney29.html
Old 11-29-2004, 10:23 AM   #100
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by diamond
The more I think about Kerry's defeat, the more I realize it's all George Bush's fault
No denying it was a filthy campaign, but ALL Bush's fault? What about the Swift Boat Veterans?

And if Kerry won, we'd have people blame it all on him too. We'd ignore moveon.com's anti-Bush propaganda, as well as many others.
Old 11-29-2004, 10:24 AM   #101
Blue Crack Addict

diamond, that link won't work for me.
Old 11-29-2004, 12:58 PM   #102
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by verte76
diamond, that link won't work for me.
verte-
here

How Kerry whistleblower suffered for truth

November 29, 2004

BY MARY LANEY

This is the story of a military veteran whistleblower. He spoke out against someone he thought was dangerous for the nation, talked to local newspapers, and appeared on talk shows. In return, he was vilified by reporters, threatened by a political operative, fired by his company, and now he's broke.

His name is Steve Gardner. He's also known as "The 10th Brother," as in Band of Brothers. He's one of two members of Sen. John Kerry's 12 Vietnam swift boat crew members who refused to stand with Kerry at the Democratic Convention. The other man remained silent.

"They said I had a political agenda. I had no and have no political agenda whatsoever. I saw John Kerry on television saying he was running for the Democratic nomination for president, and I knew I couldn't ever see him as commander in chief -- not after what I saw in Vietnam, not after the lies I heard him tell about what he says he did and what he says others did."

Gardner explains he was sitting at home in Clover, S.C., when he first saw Kerry on television. It was before the primary races. For 35 years, Gardner says, he hadn't talked about his tour of duty in Vietnam. But when he saw Kerry talking about running, he says he got up, called the newspaper in town, called radio stations and "talked to anyone I could about why this man should never be president." Eventually he got a call from Adm. Roy Huffman, who had been in charge of the coastal division in Vietnam, reunited with other swift boat veterans, and the rest is, as they say, history.

Gardner's story is one that bears telling. He volunteered for the Navy, enlisting on his 18th birthday in February 1966. After training, he was shipped to Vietnam and served for two years as a gunner in the swift boat division. His superior, for four months, was none other than Lt. j.g. John F. Kerry.

"I had confrontations with him there. He nearly got us rammed by the VC one night because he wasn't watching the helm. I heard the motor coming close, turned on the spotlight, and the boat was only 90 feet away, coming fast. The VC was aiming an AK47 at us. I shot him out of the boat. We pulled a woman and a baby off the boat. Kerry wrote it up that we captured two VC and killed four more on the beach. None of that was true. The only thing true on Kerry's report was the date. The woman was catatonic and wouldn't call her baby VC and there were no VC on the beach. If we had seen that report before Kerry sent it up the chain of command, he would have been court-martialed and never allowed to run for office. And that's just the San Pan incident. There was much more. He is a self-aggrandizing bold-faced liar. I believe he caused the extension of that war."

Gardner told this story and others to radio stations and he wrote a piece for the local paper. Then, he says, he received a phone call from John Hurley, the veterans organizer for Kerry's campaign. Hurley, Gardner says, asked him to come out for Kerry. He told Hurley to leave him alone and that he'd never be for Kerry. It was then Gardner says, he was threatened with, "You better watch your step. We can look into your finances."

Next, Gardner said he received a call from Douglas Brinkley, the author of Tour of Duty: John Kerry and the Vietnam War. Brinkley told Gardner he was calling only to "fact check" the book -- which was already in print. "I told him that the guy in the book is not the same guy I served with. I told him Kerry was a coward. He would patrol the middle of the river. The canals were dangerous. He wouldn't go there unless he had another boat pushing him."

Days later, Brinkley called again, warning Gardner to expect some calls. It seems Brinkley had used the "fact checking" conversation to write an inflammatory article about Gardner for Time.com. The article, implying that Gardner was politically motivated, appeared under the headline "The 10th Brother."

Twenty-four hours later, Gardner got an e-mail from his company, Millennium Information Services, informing him that his services would no longer be necessary. He was laid off in an e-mail -- by the same man who only days before had congratulated him for his exemplary work in a territory which covered North and South Carolina. The e-mail stated that his position was being eliminated. Since then, he's seen the company advertising for his old position. Gardner doesn't have the money to sue to get the job back.

"I'm broke. I've been hurt every way I can be hurt. I have no money in the bank but am doing little bits here and there to pay the bills," he said.

All the millions of dollars raised by Gardner and his fellow Swift Boat Veterans for Truth, and all the proceeds from John O'Neill's book, Unfit for Command, go to families of veterans, POWs and MIAs.

And, even though Gardner is broke and jobless for speaking out, the husband and father of three says he'd do it all over again. He says it wasn't for politics. It was for America.
Old 11-29-2004, 01:33 PM   #103
Blue Crack Addict

Thanks diamond. Politics can be really ugly, unforgiving stuff. Sometimes I really hate it.
Old 11-29-2004, 04:54 PM   #104
The Fly

Uh let's see.I can think of a few reasons.

1. Accomplished nothing in 20 years in Congress
2. So left he was off the fence
3. Spoke out against his fellow troops in NAM(Worse than Hanoi Jane)
4. Used Cheney's daughter for his own cause
5. Northern candidate
6. His VP running mate is a trial lawyer
7. Even democrats were agains thim. Zel Miller and Ed Koch

First Liberate Iraq..Then take back HOLLYWOOD!!!

Hillary in 2008?? Lol I do't think so. She is more liberal then Kerry and plus her husband is a L O S E R.
Old 11-29-2004, 05:02 PM   #105
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by BOCAGATOR
4. Used Cheney's daughter for his own cause
If he didn't do that, I wouldn't have voted in this election.