Why Did Kerry Lose?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Macfistowannabe said:
I'm not going to bash democrats, but their party needs reformation and definition. They used to appeal to the working class, instead of Hollywood. Now they appeal to the rebellious crowd, which is not a good thing. Campaigning for issues like gay marriage, stem cell research, and abortion are not going to get you elected. Trying to appeal to gays and feminists is killing their party's moral standards. Dropping those issues altogether and focusing on what can benefit the working class - black and white - is how they could get my vote.

Working class solidarity involves defending ALL working class people, whether they're male or female, gay or straight, black or white. You can't claim to be representing working class people but exclude working class gay people or working class feminists.

FizzingWhizzbees said:

Working class solidarity involves defending ALL working class people, whether they're male or female, gay or straight, black or white. You can't claim to be representing working class people but exclude working class gay people or working class feminists.
I don't have a problem with the gays and feminists in the workforce, but I disapprove of the other issues they fight for.

I think the real reason Kerry lost is because he didn't show mainstream America how he could unite the country. Instead, the Kerry campaign I saw was loaded with Bush-bashing and bordered by radicals like Michael Moore, who would've badmouthed the president even if we found bin Laden.

My message is that we should work together instead of bash the president, because it doesn't do any good. People are tired of hearing accusations, so am I. You don't have to be in power to be patriotic and support your leaders, even if they have a different view.

I don't think Kerry lost the election just b/c of this but I believe it contributed to his loss. However, I agree with the basic sentiment.

The Architects Of Defeat

Twelve days before the election, James Carville stood in a Beverly Hills living room surrounded by two generations of Hollywood stars. After being introduced by Sen. John Kerry’s daughter, Alexandra, he told the room — confidently, almost cockily — that the election was in the bag.

“If we can’t win this damn election,” the advisor to the Kerry campaign said, “with a Democratic Party more unified than ever before, with us having raised as much money as the Republicans, with 55% of the country believing we’re heading in the wrong direction, with our candidate having won all three debates, and with our side being more passionate about the outcome than theirs — if we can’t win this one, then we can’t win shit! And we need to completely rethink the Democratic Party.”

Despite a lot of talk about “moral values,” exit polls proved that Iraq and the war on terror together were the issues uppermost in people’s minds. And therefore as Thorne and Vallely, among others, kept arguing, if the president continued to hold a double-digit advantage on his leadership on the war on terror, he would win. But those in charge of the Kerry campaign ignored this giant, blood-red elephant standing in the middle of the room and allowed themselves to be mesmerized by polling and focus group data that convinced them the economy was the way to go.

It doesn't surprise me that the big issue this time was national security. This was *the* post-9/11 election, what with nerves still on edge after the brutal attacks, and the usual big cheese topic, the economy, took a back seat this time. The general economic situation wasn't bad enough to hurt the incumbent. The question is, how long will the economy take a back seat, particularly if things go really sour in that department in the next four years? What if the situation really sucks in four years? It's not like the pocketbook issue is dead, it's more like it's out to lunch.

Last edited:
:drool: Among other stupid, ludicrous, outrageous lies, in one of the prez debates (#2), Kerry stated that =because= the Bush Administration did not give enough trillions of dollars to transportation, tunnels, bridges, etc, (LIE!) that during the Republican National Convention in Manhattan (on half of one block) that the New York City subway sytem had to close down!? (INSANE LIE). The NYC subway system did not even close down for September 11th nor would it for Armageddon. When Kerry said that non-sense, about 29 of the 30 people in the room I was in watching the debate said: "He's crazy or a liar or both; in any event, he'll lose". Take the "L" train (for Loser)!

You're probably right, diamond. It's impossible for something as drastic as 9/11 to not not alter the political landscape for good. We have a new issue in American politics. However, I don't rule out the Democrats learning to work with this. GWB is the "war on terror" president. This may help Giuliani in 2008 should he decide to run. I wouldn't be too terribly upset with Giuliani as President as he is a moderate.

thx verte,
in a nutshell if it's not safe to spend your money,
who cares about having money anyway?
also when the dem's claim everything the republicans say re terror is fear manipulation, most americans see that as veiled manipulation from the dems.

db9

diamond, I don't think the terror alerts are fear political ploys or whatever either. Fear of terror is real, especially when you've got bin Laden still making videos vowing to "bankrupt" America and this sort of thing. I think the challenge to the Democrats is learning to work with this new issue, and not harping on the ideas of an innocent past. I anticipate having disagreements with some of my fellow liberals over this. Alot of it depends on who gets the chairmanship of the DNC, and then, as always, some things will be circumstantial and will depend on external factors.

The only positive thing about Dubya getting another four years is that I don't have to pretend to love Kerry anymore.

RUDY even attracks Dems!

Verte76 said:
....GWB is the "war on terror" president. This may help Giuliani in 2008 should he decide to run. I wouldn't be too terribly upset with Giuliani as President as he is a moderate.
Glad to read your sensible and fair-minded thoughts and words, Verte. In fact, Repuiblican Rudy Giuliani won as N.Y.C. Mayor both times with large support and endorsements from Democrats, such as former Dem Mayor Ed Koch!

See Rudy pix, etc.: www.STONEWALLvets.org/MayorRudy.htm

U-2 Newz: U-2 on "Saturday Night Live" in NYC next Sat., Nov. 20.

Kerry "blames" Ozama!

Now we have the definitive answer from The Horse's mouth:

In an interview by FNC reporter Geraldo Rivera at the opening of the Bill Clinton Presidential Library yesterday, when asked why he lost the election, KERRY, in his own words, replied: "Because of Ozama bin Laden". Now we know -- according to Kerry's spin. Incredible end of a long story!? :huh:

Last edited:
I think Kerry's right on the money. Bush won as the "War on Terror" president. He wouldn't have been in this position had it not been for bin Laden. Whoever the Republicans run in 2008 is *not* going to be the WOT president. If the nominee is Giuliani, he'll benefit for obvious reasons. Some people right now don't want a moderate, and I don't have a crystal ball, but I think in the end a moderate may be what the electorate wants. I can tell you right now that's what I'm hoping for.

U2Kitten said:
I was hoping Guiliani would run for Senator and spare us Hillary :huh:

You could be right. I wouldn't be shocked if Rudy ran and beat her. Talk about a "hype-killer". I'd be pretty relieved, quite frankly.

U Girlz are correct about the 2 New Yorkers potential race, whether it is for U.S. Senator or U.S. President: "RUDY vs. Hillary".
Every political poll shows Rudy winning big time, regardless of whatever. :ohmy:

Kitty, U are funny! :wink:

Kerry "blames" Ozama!

verte76 said:
I think Kerry's right on the money. Bush won as the "War on Terror" president. He wouldn't have been in this position had it not been for bin Laden....

Verte, U should know that KERRY was specifically and only referring to that surprise Uzama video "message" on Friday, Oct. 29, four days before Election Day, as being the reason he was defeated. Oddly, at that time, many Dem operatives and Kerry staff misread the significance of the video and claimed that bin Laden's sudden appearance would help Kerry!? :huh:

Last edited:
Re: Kerry "blames" Ozama!

Stonewall said:

Verte, U should know that KERRY was specifically and only referring to that surprise Uzama video "message" on Friday, Oct. 29, four days before Election Day, as being the reason he was defeated. Oddly, at that time, many Dem operatives and Kerry staff misread the significance of the video and claimed that bin Laden's sudden appearance would help Kerry!? :huh:

OK, I think it was bin Laden in a more general sense. The War on Terror is the raison d'etre of the Bush Administration.

In fact, Geraldo entitled the I/V piece as "Kerry blames presidential loss on bin Laden video". As such, highlights of the I/V with that said were shown on several other shows, including national newscasts. Look, Kerry could be right on that very specific 10/29 item. Many -- including professional journalists and political pundits -- call it "the October surprise" for Kerry! When that UBL video hit the airwaves as a "news alert", my first reaction was: "Bush won!"

Of course, I agree w/U re: Raison d'etre of GWB Administration. After September 11th, 2001, they had no choice.

I havent read through this entire thread....

but after discussing this topic of why Kerry lost with many people... I've come to the idea that it may have actually been his 'pro gay marriage' position, or what appeared to be. If you read all the exit polls, the majority of people that voted for Bush did so for religious and moral reasons. If you also look at which states Bush won, they were pretty much all the states that are very conservative when it comes to the issue of gay marriage.

And that.. is my 2 cents.

If that is the case, it is unfortunate that Kerry left such a confusing image with the electorate. He had an anti-gay marriage stance that should be decided by the states.

nbcrusader said:
If that is the case, it is unfortunate that Kerry left such a confusing image with the electorate. He had an anti-gay marriage stance that should be decided by the states.

Very true. In fact I recall an FYM thread last summer that was critical of Kerry's position on gay marriage from the left.

I think the women of the candidates played a significant role in the election results. I see Laura Bush as someone very reserved, whereas Teresa Heinz Kerry was much more outspoken.

Yeah, Teresa's pretty outspoken, and some felt that she was too much of a "loose cannon". Many people probably felt a little more comfortable with the reserved Laura. Still, I don't exactly think anyone was voting for First Lady.

verte76 said:
Yeah, Teresa's pretty outspoken, and some felt that she was too much of a "loose cannon". Many people probably felt a little more comfortable with the reserved Laura. Still, I don't exactly think anyone was voting for First Lady.
Probably not, but some undecideds who look for a strong family man probably wondered how Kerry could control the country when he can't control Teresa's umm... outspoken opinions. The same goes for Bush as well, his daughters are crazy party animals who drank underage. Maybe that wasn't such an issue now that they're of legal age. The Republicans are probably history the day either one of the Bush daughters runs for office.

Back
Top Bottom