Why Did Kerry Lose? - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-04-2004, 07:13 PM   #31
New Yorker

Local Time: 01:09 AM
Also I thought Clark was pretty charismatic (as well as Dean) but he still had the freaky bug eyes...

Old 11-04-2004, 07:13 PM   #32
New Yorker

Old 11-04-2004, 08:37 PM   #33
Blue Crack Distributor

let's add yet another reason to the list of why kerry lost... latinos.

latinos are the fastest growing "minority" in the united states... bush and republicans have made HUGE gains with the latino vote, to the point where it pretty much cancels out the black vote, which has always gone democratic.
Old 11-04-2004, 09:17 PM   #34
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase

latinos are the fastest growing "minority" in the united states... bush and republicans have made HUGE gains with the latino vote, to the point where it pretty much cancels out the black vote, which has always gone democratic.
We talked about this at work. I don't really know any latinos that aren't exchange students, but one guy at work was saying that many are REALLY into family and will often vote based on pro-life. I don't know if that's true or not, just what people were saying.
Old 11-04-2004, 09:30 PM   #35
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:09 PM
I think the reason Kerry lost was in what Kerry's mom uttered on her deathbed-
She offered 3 words of advise to him in discussing his upcoming Presidentail race-

those 3 words were-
"Integrety
Integrety
Integrety"
Old 11-04-2004, 10:03 PM   #36
The Fly

Local Time: 06:09 AM
Kerry lost because he deserved to lose, the better man won.

George Bush stands up for the rights of the unborn, George Bush knows that blacks and whites are created equally - he doesn't have to give blacks bonus points (affirmative action) to make them equal to whites, George Bush knows that marriage is 1 man + 1 woman. George Bush doesn't use the Oval Office to cheat on his wife, he knows that Christians respect their spouse.

This is why Bush won again, and got the most votes in American history, my mother who is a Democrat that goes to church weekly voted for him.

Kerry, Dean, Sharprton, the Heinz woman, Michael Moore... they can call Bush a moron, dumb, a fool, a C-student, a southern redneck.... it doesn't bother the real Catholics though, as long as Bush keeps upholding our beliefs, we'll vote for him - and yes, we are more than willing to vote for Jeb Bush in 2008.

You can be with us or against us, but Christians are done sitting at the back of the bus.
Old 11-04-2004, 10:20 PM   #37
New Yorker

Yeah, but Jeb Bush ain't running... maybe Ashcroft?
Old 11-05-2004, 12:50 AM   #38
War Child

Local Time: 10:09 PM
What about the people who believe in the right to choose and let the woman decide for herself? What about middle-class people having to pay a hefty tax while the rich get to soil in their riches? I believe that it's okay for a man to marry a man if he wanted to, God is Love. A law banning love and saying that it's "Christian"- that doesn't make a lot of sense. God loves us all.
Who cares if the gays want to get married- how will it affect any of us? Look what Las Vegas did to the sanctity of marriage (Britney Spears and Jason Alexander, J.Lo and her 3 husbands, Nicky Hilton and her husband of 4 days) and we're not banning Las Vegas.
Yes, African Americans (and other ethnic races) and Caucasians are created equally- but are they TREATED equally? Fuck no. I'm being mistreated daily for my Native American heritage.
And you are referring to Bill Clinton, who has cheated on his wife, while running this country with no problems for 8 years, NOT John Kerry. Don't think all Democrats are the same.
And you cry for the thousands of aborted babies, but what about the brave and wonderful soldiers that went out there and all died from this war? Grrr, this war wasn't planned right, it's aiming at the wrong enemy, and it's only benefiting Dick Cheney's construction company, which is reaping in the billions.

And yes I am a Christian. That is why I believe that all people should be treated equal, and yes that means the minority races, the homosexuals, women who decide their own fate, and fellow Christians.
Old 11-05-2004, 04:02 AM   #39
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by xtal
What about the people who believe in the right to choose and let the woman decide for herself?
Please specify, what is this 'woman' 'choosing' and 'deciding?' Are you talking about ABORTION? The DEATH of an unborn baby? Then have the guts to call it what it is. When you support the 'right to choose' and abortion, you are condoning and justifying the taking of a LIFE. No one should be able to 'choose' death for someone else. I believe in suicide but not murder, not abortion. I'm sick of all the sugar coating and shading of what abortion really is. Calling it a 'choice' does not make it noble, does not make it a good thing. Call it what it really is, and if you have a problem with that and feel the need to cover it up with the word 'choice' to justify it, then maybe you need to rethink your own position. EVERYTHING is a 'choice' but it doesn't mean it's right. There are laws against other bad 'choices' such as murder, rape and robbery!

Quote:
What about middle-class people having to pay a hefty tax while the rich get to soil in their riches?
The rich save more in taxes because they PAY more! It's all based on what you make, so if you make more, you pay more, and tax cuts save you more. I can see this, and I am far, far from financially well off.

Quote:
Yes, African Americans (and other ethnic races) and Caucasians are created equally- but are they TREATED equally? Fuck no.
No, but it isn't right to make them treated higher than someone else either. Everyone should be treated equal, but unfortunately you will never change the attitudes of everyone in the world. Is it fair that my white male nephew has been denied entry to his 3 favorite colleges because of his grade point average, but found out if he had been a minority he'd have gotten in anyway? He's from a poor family too! Affirmative action discriminates against poor whites. NO ONE should be discriminated against!
Old 11-05-2004, 04:13 AM   #40
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:09 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase

What do you mean with "huge gains"?
According to this breakdown by demographic, the latino vote still preferred Kerry, with something like a 58% to 42% difference.

Old 11-05-2004, 06:05 AM   #41
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:09 PM
It looks like an "American Person"
Old 11-05-2004, 07:01 AM   #42
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by Popmartijn

What do you mean with "huge gains"?
According to this breakdown by demographic, the latino vote still preferred Kerry, with something like a 58% to 42% difference.

i said huge gains... i did not say he won the vote. notice the difference between the black vote and the latino vote. latinos still voted more for kerry than for bush. but in many of the swing states, the percentage of latinos who picked bush over kerry was up from 2000 as many as 12 to 14 points. even in new york state the bush's latino numbers were up 6%. that is a huge gain... not a victory... a gain.
Old 11-08-2004, 04:48 AM   #43
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:09 PM
townhall.com

Printer-friendly version
The 51 percent nation
Michael Barone (back to web version) | Send

November 8, 2004

Love is stronger than hate. That is the lesson of the 2004 election results. Millions of Democrats and leftists have been seething with hatred for George W. Bush for years, and many of them lined up before the polls opened to cast their votes against him -- one reason, apparently, that the exit poll results turned out to favor Democrats more than did the actual results.

But Republicans full of love, or at least affection, for George W. Bush turned out steadily later in the day or sent in their ballots days before. They have watched "old media" -- The New York Times, the broadcast networks CBS, ABC and NBC -- beat up on Bush for the past year, and they have listened to the sneers and slurs directed at him by coastal elites for a long time. Now they had their chance to speak. They did so loudly and clearly, giving Bush the first popular-vote majority for president in 16 years.

The line among political insiders was that turnout would increase from 2000 and that higher turnout would favor John Kerry. Right and wrong. Turnout was up 11 percent, but Bush's total votes were up 18 percent from 2000, while Kerry's were up just 10 percent from Al Gore's.

The Democrats relied on labor unions and billionaire-financed 527 organizations for their turnout drives. They depended primarily on paid workers, some of whom were very good and some very poor; some signed up Mary Poppins, and one in Ohio was paid with crack cocaine. The Bush campaign built its own organization and relied primarily on volunteers, some 1.2 million of them. Volunteers were given varied tasks and numeric goals, and were repeatedly tested. They delivered on Election Day.

On election night, most observers were focusing on central cities to see how many votes the Democrats would roll up. Working for Fox News, I concentrated on smaller counties in Florida, Ohio and other target states in which all or nearly all the precincts had reported results. I found a clear pattern in state after state. In small and medium-sized counties, turnout was up, by 10 percent, 20 percent, even 40 percent in fast-growing areas, and the Bush percentage was up as well, by 2, 4 or even 8 percentage points. Aggregate those increases, and you have more new Republican votes than new Democratic votes in Cuyahoga or Broward counties. That, repeated over and over again, is the story of this election. Karl Rove's strategy of concentrating on increasing Republican turnout worked.

Four years ago, I wrote that this was a 49 percent nation. In the 1996, 1998 and 2000 House elections, Republicans led in the popular vote by 49 to 48 or 48.5 percent; the 2000 presidential election was a 48 to 48 percent tie. Americans seemed evenly divided, mainly on cultural and religious lines. In 2002, that changed a bit: Republicans won the House vote 51 percent to 46 percent, while Bush's job approval hovered around 65 percent.

This year his job rating has hovered around 50 percent or below. He has been the target all year of vicious and biased coverage from old media, many if not most of whose personnel saw their job as removing this scourge from the presidency. The "60 Minutes" story about Bush's Air National Guard service, which was based on obviously forged documents, is only the most egregious example. Old media have headlined violence in Iraq and reported almost nothing about positive developments there; they highlighted the charges of self-promoter Joseph Wilson and spoke nary a word when they were proved bogus; they have given good economic news far less positive coverage than they did when Bill Clinton was in office.

Yet the results of this election closely resemble the 2002 House results. Bush beat Kerry 51 percent to 48 percent; the popular vote for the House appears to be about 51 percent to 47 percent Republican. Voters knew the stakes -- polls showed majorities thought this was an important and consequential election -- and both candidates had plenty of opportunity to make their cases. Thanks to the 527s, more money was apparently spent against Bush than for him. So the results cannot be dismissed as an accident. We are now a 51 percent nation, a Republican majority, as once again in America, love has proved stronger than hate.
Old 11-08-2004, 04:58 AM   #44
Blue Crack Addict

Well one sign for me of John Kerry's integrity is the story of Clinton calling him and basically telling him that, for political purposes, he should support the gay marriage bans.

Kerry told him he wouldn't do it. To me that's integrity. From what I've read, that cost him plenty of votes.
Old 11-08-2004, 05:49 AM   #45
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:09 PM
On this one point, however, Kerry showed two messages. When compared to GWB, Kerry said the matter should be left to the states (i.e., should be banned at that level - not by Constitutional Amendment). But when it came to individual state actions, he was silent.