Why Did Kerry Lose? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-04-2004, 08:02 AM   #16
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 01:00 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2Kitten
Headache, this is an excellent post with good observations. Every politician should read this and learn from it
gracias

Old 11-04-2004, 08:04 AM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:00 AM
And a very big :thumbsup: to your commentary, spot on - people don't like being looked down on because of their political beliefs by anybody, that includes the media, celebrities and Michael Moore.

Have to get more people hooked on Mark Steyn, go to www.marksteyn.com and read some of the articles, they are great.

Old 11-04-2004, 08:51 AM   #18
Acrobat

Local Time: 11:00 AM
I think Kerry would've won if he wasn't wishy-washy, if he took a strong stand about terrorism and the war in Iraq. I think he would've won if he gave people the reason to trust him. He didn't. He would've won if people like Michael Moore, celebrities, and immature Europeans weren't supporting him. I think he would've won if Bin Laden hadn't threatened Americans with death if Bush was reelected. You don't do that to Americans...they'll be so "in your face."

I think he would've won if he had been a stronger and better candidate. I think the majority of people who voted for Bush would've voted for Kerry if he had truly seemed like the better and safer option. I think we WANT change, and now we'll have to wait four more years to get it. I think, basically, we opted to have to wait, and hope for better choices next time.
Old 11-04-2004, 09:06 AM   #19
Acrobat

I am LDS, surrounded by very conservative and good people, but I voted for Kerry. So did my husband. Why? Because I truly want change MORE. My conservative views showed up in other ways, but I simply couldn't let Bush be reelected whether he reflects my views more or not.

BUT, I believe that we should make the most out of what we've got, hope for the best, and give Bush a chance. There weren't really good choices on either side. I believe a lot of Americans wanted change, but opted to wait for better choices rather than to go from a so-so choice to a so-so choice.

I look forward to the next elections. I think better candidates will be available. I'm all for voting for a woman Democrat this time. I think now is the ripe time for a woman.

I vote for the PERSON, for how they will deal with the big issues, period.

I think that people like Michael Moore, Bin Laden, celebrities and many Europeans, as well as Kerry's wishy-washy ways, and mediocrity, and our desire to not pull the rug out from under our troops are the reasons Kerry lost this election.

I think that characterizing Bush's win as one based on morality is doing religious people a grave injustice, and I think it was on purpose. Democrats will never win if they do this. Religious people do think, just as much as anyone else, and a better Democratic candidate WILL win. But, not if Democratic supporters now start blaming and insulting religious people in America. Mark my words.

You're already screwing yourselves over for NEXT elections if you start doing this.

Basically, Democrats just are NOT being very smart, and they're being very abrasive. They are basically acting like people who are going to lose.
Old 11-04-2004, 09:10 AM   #20
New Yorker

IMO Mark Steyn is correct...

and LOL at the Guardian

Quote:
Happily, The Guardian, the fever chart of the British Left, decided to arrange a controlled experiment in the effectiveness of the Bush-hating strategy. They targeted the voters of Clark County, Ohio, one of the swingiest counties in a critical swing state, by getting Guardian readers to send them letters explaining why they shouldn't vote for Bush. Antonia Fraser, John Le Carre and other celebrated Guardianistas put pen to paper and marshalled their arguments.

Richard Dawkins demonstrated the incisive forensic analysis of Bush one expects from one of Oxford's most celebrated professors: "An idiot he may be, but he is also sly, mendacious and vindictive ... thuggish ... pariah state ... brazenly lying ... cynical mendacity." Gloomy film-maker Ken Loach, who makes Moore look like Busby Berkeley, began: "Today, your country is reviled across continents as never before ..."

In return, The Guardian received many responses, saying things like "real Americans aren't interested in your pansy-ass, tea-sipping opinions", which was one of the more polite replies in that it eschewed observations on the defects of British dentistry. In 2000, Clark County went narrowly for Al Gore. On Tuesday, it went decisively for Bush. The local Republican chairman claimed that Fraser and co had done a grand job of rallying the county's Bush voters and getting them to the poll. Thank you, Guardian lefties! Had they launched Operation Massachusetts, Kerry would have lost his own state.
Oh, the laughs...
Old 11-04-2004, 09:20 AM   #21
New Yorker

Part of the reason why Kerry lost is b/c he didn't have Karl Rove on his side... Democrats must shiver and cringe at the power of the architect...

Old 11-04-2004, 09:27 AM   #22
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by Flying FuManchu
Part of the reason why Kerry lost is b/c he didn't have Karl Rove on his side... Democrats must shiver and cringe at the power of the architect...

Karl Rove is from UTAH.
Old 11-04-2004, 10:37 AM   #23
The Fly

Local Time: 06:00 PM
If you want to blame anyone for the Democrats losing, blame the Democratic primary voters for choosing an uncharismatic bore and northeast "liberal" Kerry instead of say, a plain-spoken, down to earth candidate like Wesley Clark.

Kerry himself ran about as good a campaign as you could expect from him. He beat Bush in the debates, he wasn't afraid to get dirty when the mudslinging started. But in the end, Kerry is Kerry. No matter how good a campaign he ran, he couldn't change what he is.. an uncharismatic senator from Massachusetts with no understanding or connection with "middle America".

You can also blame the Democratic Party for allowing itself to get boxed in too far to the left on social issues. Until a Democrat comes along that can adequately articulate party policy and tie it to religious faith, you can mark the South, the Plains, and the Rocky Mountains into the Republican column every election.

Bono is a good example of someone who holds progressive ideas that can also forcefully speak on faith and religion without looking like a total fraud. Now find an American version and just maybe the Democrats win some of the 20 or so always "red" states along with the "swing" states.
Old 11-04-2004, 10:58 AM   #24
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by edgeu22
If you want to blame anyone for the Democrats losing, blame the Democratic primary voters for choosing an uncharismatic bore and northeast "liberal" Kerry instead of say, a plain-spoken, down to earth candidate like Wesley Clark.

Kerry himself ran about as good a campaign as you could expect from him. He beat Bush in the debates, he wasn't afraid to get dirty when the mudslinging started. But in the end, Kerry is Kerry. No matter how good a campaign he ran, he couldn't change what he is.. an uncharismatic senator from Massachusetts with no understanding or connection with "middle America".

You can also blame the Democratic Party for allowing itself to get boxed in too far to the left on social issues. Until a Democrat comes along that can adequately articulate party policy and tie it to religious faith, you can mark the South, the Plains, and the Rocky Mountains into the Republican column every election.

Bono is a good example of someone who holds progressive ideas that can also forcefully speak on faith and religion without looking like a total fraud. Now find an American version and just maybe the Democrats win some of the 20 or so always "red" states along with the "swing" states.
It would take a miracle to get SOME red states, but I do believe that the right candidate could've taken some, and the swing states.

I look forward to the day when Utah is a swing state. That should be interesting.
Old 11-04-2004, 11:56 AM   #25
New Yorker

I believe if Wesley Clark ran his campaign well from the beginning and didn't start so late, he would have been the best candidate the Democrats could have put out there. Sad but true. Better than Dean, Kerry, and Edwards.
Old 11-04-2004, 12:07 PM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Flying FuManchu
I believe if Wesley Clark ran his campaign well from the beginning and didn't start so late, he would have been the best candidate the Democrats could have put out there. Sad but true. Better than Dean, Kerry, and Edwards.
I've always thought so too.
Old 11-04-2004, 12:22 PM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
And a very big :thumbsup: to your commentary, spot on - people don't like being looked down on because of their political beliefs by anybody, that includes the media, celebrities and Michael Moore.

Have to get more people hooked on Mark Steyn, go to www.marksteyn.com and read some of the articles, they are great.
Thanks, good article

Somebody told me last night on Conan he 'thanked' M. Moore & the 'dorky bald guy from REM' for helping get Bush reelected
Old 11-04-2004, 12:22 PM   #28
Blue Crack Distributor

wesley clark was unprepared for politics. if he would have run for a smaller office, or had some sort of appointed cabinet role or something, he would have been a tremendous candidate in 2008.

frankly... i still believe the theory that the clintons pushed clark into the 2004 race, before he was ready, to get him out of the way for hill hill in 2008.
Old 11-04-2004, 12:25 PM   #29
Blue Crack Addict

You're right, of course

NO H word please
Old 11-04-2004, 07:12 PM   #30
New Yorker

I thought Clark once being Supreme Allied Commander of NATO and other military posts as well as being a general in the military would prepare him extremely well for politics. From what I understand, once you start reaching the higher level of the military, its all about politics and political shrewdness.