Why did Judas go to Heaven? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-01-2002, 01:07 AM   #1
MacPhisto's serving wench

Local Time: 12:42 AM
Why did Judas go to Heaven?

DISCLAIMER: I realize this is all very literal. Indulge me

Judas betrayed Jesus, right? Then God forgives him, he goes to heaven.

Murderers on earth kill. They get to the gates. They don't get into heaven. They go to hell (or so we like to believe)

People betray others. They get to the gates. They spend a fair portion of eternity serving time in Purgatory, working off their sins.

People lie, cheat, steal. They go to Purgatory and are tortured until they can be let through the pearly gates.

I don't understand this. I never have.

Old 04-01-2002, 02:19 AM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:42 AM
Only god knows the answer.And nobody else.

Old 04-01-2002, 02:36 AM   #3
War Child

Local Time: 09:42 PM
good save Rono
Old 04-01-2002, 02:41 AM   #4
Acrobat

Local Time: 05:42 AM
I guess I wasn't aware of it, where does it say in the bible that Judas went to heaven? I've not seen where it says so, but I might have missed it.

Old 04-01-2002, 10:17 AM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

The Bible doesn't say anything about Judas going to Heaven. It's simply not in there.
According to the Bible, our eternal residence is not based on what w have done, but on our relationship with the Lord Jesus.
Old 04-01-2002, 12:42 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

There's nothing in the Bible that says Judas went to heaven or that he even asked for forgiveness.
Old 04-01-2002, 01:43 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 11:42 PM
I just saw an ad for a program on the History Channel about a new perspective on Judas. It appears the show will delve into the debate over Judas being a friend or foe to Jesus. Without Judas' betrayal, Jesus' death wouldn't have come about in the way it did, and Jesus wouldn't have been able to perform His last miracle. I dunno, I'm gonna watch it, it seems interesting.

------------------
"Just tell 'em what they wanna hear & nobody will complain."
Old 04-01-2002, 01:59 PM   #8
Refugee

Local Time: 05:42 AM
Yeah
and going on w/what Lilly said Bono would never been able to write-
Until
The
End
Of
The
world.

Diamond
Old 04-01-2002, 04:49 PM   #9
War Child

Jesus told Judas that it would have been better for him if had never been born.
Old 04-01-2002, 04:58 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram:
Purgatory was "invented" by the Church hierarchy in the early centuries of Christianity in order to provide an alternative to the stark choice between heaven and hell. Therefore, whether or not Purgatory is "factual" is debatable.

*ahem* Lilly's tid-bit o'the day:

Fish was not always the chosen food for Lenten Fridays for Catholics. One of the Pope's brother's was in the fishing industry, which was in a severe slump at the time. So, all of a sudden it was required that Catholics eat fish on Fridays and the fishing industry survived.

Now you know.

------------------
"Just tell 'em what they wanna hear & nobody will complain."
Old 04-01-2002, 07:08 PM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram:
Purgatory was "invented" by the Church hierarchy in the early centuries of Christianity in order to provide an alternative to the stark choice between heaven and hell. Therefore, whether or not Purgatory is "factual" is debatable.
Purgatory is supposedly supported by one of the two books of the Maccabees, which is omitted by Protestant Bibles as "apocryphal." But I've read the passage itself; dreadfully obscure.

However, much of it is a human semantical distinction. If you read the Apostles Creed, it often says that, upon Jesus' death and resurrection, he "descended into hell" to bring the souls into heaven. Now since most don't believe that the most evil of people went from hell into heaven, many think of this "hell" as actually being this concept of "purgatory," a place of purification for those souls who are not perfect enough to enter heaven, but not evil enough to warrant eternal damnation.

I've always found this to be more compassionate than the Calvinist belief that led God to be more of a tyrant, who whimsically decided which of His creation would rot in hell and which ones would be in heaven, with absolutely no room to budge.

Melon

------------------
"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time
Old 04-01-2002, 07:56 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by melon:
I've always found this to be more compassionate than the Calvinist belief that led God to be more of a tyrant, who whimsically decided which of His creation would rot in hell and which ones would be in heaven, with absolutely no room to budge.
I don't believe in Purgatory, but I must agree with you if you don't believe the Calvinist viewpoint, either. I believe that God knows where people will spend eternity (simply because he knows the future), but he does not make that decision for them.
Old 04-01-2002, 08:51 PM   #13
MacPhisto's serving wench

Quote:
Originally posted by Spiral_Staircase:
Jesus told Judas that it would have been better for him if had never been born.
Where??

I actually don't recall if Judas went to heaven actually. Perhaps they taught it to us in Elementary school. I'm not sure.

Had Judas not betryaed Jesus, Jesus would have died for our sins anyway. Judas was simply a...what, pawn? And he was forgiven. What if, say, someone robs a man on the street. But, if he hadn't mugged the man, the man would have crossed the steert at the precise moment that a car came by, Thus, the muggeer has really saved the man's life. Is this acceptable? Will the mugger be forgiven?

I've always like the "god is not a tyrannt' belief and believed in Purgatory.

If our relationship is based upon our relationship w/ Jesus, then Judas, who betrayed him, and Peter, who betrayed him, were forgiven. Would the mugger be forgiven? Would I be forgiven for betraying Christ?

[This message has been edited by The_Sweetest_Thing (edited 04-01-2002).]
Old 04-01-2002, 09:39 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by The_Sweetest_Thing:
Where??
Had Judas not betryaed Jesus, Jesus would have died for our sins anyway. Judas was simply a...what, pawn? And he was forgiven. If our relationship is based upon our relationship w/ Jesus, then Judas, who betrayed him, and Peter, who betrayed him, were forgiven. Would the mugger be forgiven? Would I be forgiven for betraying Christ?
[This message has been edited by The_Sweetest_Thing (edited 04-01-2002).]
Matthew 26:24
"...but how terrible it will be for my betrayer. Far better for him if he had never been born"
Sweetest, where do you get the idea that Judas was forgiven? The Bible doesn't say that.
When I said that our eternal destiny depends on our relationship with Jesus, what I'm saying is that if you accept Christ as Savior, you have forgiveness.
Old 04-01-2002, 10:21 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 06:42 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Rono:
Only god knows the answer.And nobody else.
Truer words were never spoken in this thread

80s is right, too. Your being saved does not depend on the amount of prayers you say, or the amount of good things you do. It is all about your relationship with God.

foray

------------------
so bounce, basketball, bounce