Why can't the Us be more like this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
naxos said:
Cardosino, if i could ask, is your name tied into the famous Shephardic Jewish name?

Nope.

Tiny but beautiful ancestral home in the Garfagnana (you'll have to look it up), unfortunately the tourists DID find it and bought everything.....

BonoVoxSupastar said:

I agree. Actually one of the strangest days in FYM ever.

Yeah, it's been a blast. Don't ya just love it! :wink:

cardosino said:

Is it that Muslims are regarded as terrorists, or that terrorists are assumed to be Muslim ?

Found elsewhere, I'm not editorializing, just reprinting without permission

In 1968 who assassinated Robert Kennedy?
(a) Abbe Hoffman
(b) Tiny Tim
(c) Charles Manson
(d) Muslim male extremist between the age of 17 and 40

In 1972 at the Munich Olympics, athletes were kidnapped and massacred
by:
(a)Olga Corbutt
(b)Sitting Bull
(c)Arnold Schwartzeneger
(d)Muslim male extremists mostly between the ages of 17 and 40

In 1979,the U.S. embassy in Iran was taken over by:
(a) Lost Norwegians
(b) Elvis
(c) A tour bus full of 80-year-old women
(d) Muslim male extremists mostly between the ages of 17 and 40

During the 1980's a number of Americans were kidnapped in Lebanon by:
(a) John Dillinger
(b) The King of Sweden
(c) The Boy Scouts

In 1983, the U.S. Marine barracks in Beirut was blown up by:
(a) A pizza delivery boy
(b) Pee Wee Herman
(c) Geraldo Rivera making up for a slow news day
(d) Muslim male extremists mostly between the ages of 17 and 40.

In 1985 the cruise ship Achille Lauro was hijacked, and a 70 year old
American passenger was murdered and thrown overboard by:
(a) The Smurfs
(b) Davy Jones
(c) The Little Mermaid
(d) Muslim male extremists mostly between the ages of 17 and 40.

In 1985 TWA flight 847 was hijacked at Athens, and a U.S. Navy diver
was murdered by:
(a) Captain Kid
(b) Charles Lindberg
(c) Mother Teresa

In 1988, Pan Am Flight 103 was bombed by:
(a) Scooby Doo
(b) The Tooth Fairy
(c) Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid with dynamite left over from
the train job.

In 1993 the World Trade Center was bombed the first time by:
(a) Richard Simmons
(b) Grandma Moses
(c) Michael Jordan

In 1998, the U.S. embassies in Kenya and Tanzania were bombed by:
(a) Mr. Rogers
(b) Hillary, to distract attention from Wild Bill's women problems
(c) The World Wrestling Federation to promote its next villain:
"Mustapha the Merciless"

iN 1999, The USS Cole was attacked and more than 15 American Sailors
were killed by:
(a) David Letterman
(b) Shaquille O'Neil
(c) The Cookie Monster

In 2001 Phillipene Missionaries Gracia and Martin Burnham were
kidnapped, held for over a year, and Martin subsequently killed by:
(a) Mr. Rogers
(b) Scooby Doo & Shaggy
(c) Ronald Reagan

On 9/11/01, four airliners were hijacked and destroyed and thousands
of people were killed by:
(a) Bugs Bunny, Wiley E. Coyote, Daffy Duck, and Elmer Fudd
(b) The Supreme Court of Florida
(c) Mr. Bean

In 2002 the United States fought a war in Afghanistan against:
(a)Enron
(b)The Lutheran Church
(c)The NFL
(d)Muslim male extremists mostly between the ages of 17 and 40

In 2002 reporter Daniel Pearl was kidnapped and murdered by:
(a) Bonny and Clyde
(b) Captain Kangaroo
(c) Billy Graham

On July 4th 2002, 2 Innocent Airline Passengers Were Killed, And 3
Others Injured at the ticket counter of El Al Airlines in the LAX
International terminal by:
(a) Hulk Hogan after losing the WWF Title
(b) The cast of Monty Python
(c) Senator Lil' Tommy Daschle
(d) Muslim male extremists mostly between the ages of 17 and 41

In 2003/4, 100,000 Iraqi civilians were murdered by?

(PS, I am a non-Christian theist, like most of the American founding fathers)

Last edited:
financeguy said:

In 2003/4, 100,000 Iraqi civilians were murdered by?
Nobody, because the 100,000 figure is a piece of statistical nonsense. A figure around 20,000 seems more plausible and that in itself is dwarfed by the numbers that Saddam could knock off one way or another each year.

On what basis? The 100,000 figure may not be factual, but it is equally valid to the 20,000 figure! The fact is no-one knows, they died faceless, nameless and we are not even allowed to know how many died!

"Their blood still cries from the ground"

Nobody knows exactly how many, that is true but it is wrong to use figures that deviate so greatly from the most likely number.

I think that Iraq body count makes for a more accurate assesment. An argument that because the figure is not factual that it is equally valid to the total number of recorded deaths makes no sense.

I think that the blood of these victims should also weigh in when thinking about the tragedy of Iraq.

Last edited:
As Brendan Behan once said,

"How do you tell the difference between the terrorist and the statesman? The statesman is the one with the bigger bomb."

financeguy said:
On what basis? The 100,000 figure may not be factual, but it is equally valid to the 20,000 figure! The fact is no-one knows, they died faceless, nameless and we are not even allowed to know how many died!

"Their blood still cries from the ground"

Well, I was talking to a young man who had just returned from duty in Iraq, and he said he and the other soldiers and Marines were terribly upset by those numbers being broadcasted as if they were all some poor little kid sleeping in their bed or an old lady walking down the street. He said, in reality, the numbers include, and are in fact mostly, insurgents, random faction militants, terrorists, and guerillas but, unfortunately, because these people are not officially in the Iraqi army they must be listed among 'civilain casualties' and that is very misleading to the general public, especially anti-Iraq war types who love to take it and run with it.

So there you go, they weren't all innocents, they were mostly terrorists, guerillas, insurgents and other non un-uniformed fighters. Yes, sadly there have also been accidental casualties among the general population, but tragically that happens in every war, including the US Civil War. Countless civilians died in airraids WWII on BOTH sides. While even one death is too many, there is more to the story than you want to see here.

Last edited:
naxos said:
The Christians I know are not superstitiously afraid of practicing meditation or yoga and find that when they do it complements their own faith rather nicely, teaching them even more respect for traditions outside of their own, something they value as important in this modern world. .......Christians arn`t supose to practice the DARK ARTS! Who are you kidding?

"Dark arts"? Pardon me for laughing at this line.

St. Paul in his epistles once permitted Christians to eat meat offered to idols (although he flip-flopped on the issue more than once in other epistles), arguing that if the idols mean nothing to you anyway, then eating meat offered to nothing is meaningless. You might as well eat.

I could extend this to meditation and yoga. Sure, it might have "pagan" origins, but Westerners practicing either don't do it for religious reasons. They do it for the exercise or to just clear their head. You can meditate on Christianity, actually!

Personally, I find it quite silly to dismiss meditation and yoga for such reasons as you do.

Melon

paxetaurora said:
Well, it's been nice having you with us.

I should have read further in the thread before replying. I had no idea he/she was banned.

Apologies.

Melon

to answer the original question, because people would rather go with the faith (and rules) that'll fit the world view they have. its a very pragmatist attitude practiced by many around the world, not only fundamentalist christians.

if people were more like that, we'd be living in a different world.

the worst atrocities have often been justified by religion. and thats just too bad.

JTsAli said:
It sounds like the Christians you know don't read and follow the word of God.

Oh yes and by the way, opposing war is nice and all and but war too is Biblical

Not everyone liked Jesus, he offended people and didn't compromise to keep peace, if he did do that, he would never have been killed.

Well!!! What is and is not biblical?

I think our Icelandic Buddhist is rather biblical, possibly more Christ-like than some of the Christians here, but what do I know: I stopped being a Christian in 1988 when I realized that Jesus would have nothing to do with a religion that cares more about Old Testament's "Thou shalt not commit adultery" than with the New Testament's "Thou shall do unto others as you would do unto me."

Christ in the gospels is irrevocably anti-war and anti-religion and against judging others for sins we ourselves commit.

What does Bono say in "Yahweh"? "Take this mouth so quick to criticize and give it a kiss?" Kisses to all of you!

It seems Christ is speaking to you through the people on this list you are so quick to criticize and is "offending" you. That's what revelation, transformation, and conversion is all about. Get offended by the audacity of revolutionary love and humility!

Even the hypocrites love their friends; it's in loving our enemies that the real revolution takes place. So love everybody on this list! Break bread! Drink wine! Feed the World! Bring the Troops Home, Now . . . ..

Anu said:
I stopped being a Christian in 1988 when I realized that Jesus would have nothing to do with a religion that cares more about Old Testament's "Thou shalt not commit adultery" than with the New Testament's "Thou shall do unto others as you would do unto me."

I didn't come to the same resolution as you, but I certainly see that reasoning!

Melon

Back
Top Bottom