Why Boys Are Falling Behind In School...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Having met your son, I would say you are doing fine.:yes:

And stop beating yourself up.....

And call me if you want to chat.

:hug: Thanks Dread. I'll stop beating myself up if you do... :wink:

Seriously though, if how children do their homework is entirely the parents responsibility - I'm not doing so great. I just can't motivate the 14 year old and 13 year old to do it.

BostonAnne said:
:hug: Thanks Dread. I'll stop beating myself up if you do... :wink:

Seriously though, if how children do their homework is entirely the parents responsibility - I'm not doing so great. I just can't motivate the 14 year old and 13 year old to do it.

No...it is their responsibility....:mad:

OK, so parents should be hands on with their kids to what age? The end of elementary school? Assisting my 5 year old is easy, but I have felt that my other 2 should know what they need to do and do it. Of course, I'm always available for help but making sure they sit down and do it is hard.

The thing I hate is that what they are doing now could affect their chances to get into the college they want later. Or for my daughter, her chances to go to an alternative high school in 18 mos. (agricultural). I tell them how important it is, remind them to do what they need to and I'm just not sure if it's enough.

Dreadsox said:

Did you notify her administrator about this?

she said to me thatt he principal and the gym teacher also thought the same thing.

I really dont belive that now.....but sometimes ya just dont feel like ya have a voice. and that was one of those times esp since she said the principal may have thought it as well....

the teacher she has now says shes very polite and never disruptive

shes in 5th now ithink she had that evil teacher in 2 or 3 rd grade.

i wish would have said something

Dreadsox said:

No...it is their responsibility....:mad:

I help my 11 yr old with her homework....like if she has a hard time locating a certain city on a map we look for it together...she usually finds it first!
with my 14 yr old i try and help her in the government stuff....the launguage its written in isnt user friendly
my husband has to help her with the math.

sometimes i help my sr. memorize his honors english stuff like shakespere and othello by buying him a tape recorder...

the math ///fuhgeddaboudded

i think kids need to be taught that while it can be a challenge
they dont need to get frustrated and let it keep building up...
they need a can do attitude ...bnut it is a learned attitude ya just dont say that to them and walk off......they have to see it demonstrated by the parent.

Heh. I was one of those kids you couldn't pin down to do homework, no matter what you did. And, oddly, I graduated 6th in my class with an A average. Never failed anything important, either.
Homework is supposed to be there to help kids get more clarity. Unfortunately, there usually IS a ridiculous amount of homework to be done, and, depending on what the kid wants to do with his life, a college degree may not be needed.
For instance: Photography. A degree is nice, but working with an experienced photograper is better.
Cartoonists: again, nice if you have one, but experience trumps it.
Hell, vet techs don't get degrees, they get certifications. Sometimes. I.E.: I am a tech, but have no license. I am getting on the job training, and have the same level of experience with small animals as many licensed techs do. All my training has been directly from a doctor, so.
Yah. It depends.
Really, your best bet is to stop nagging the kids. It's not going to make 'em do their homework. Trust me. And you might want to find out if they even /care/ about going to college. Some kids don't, and never will. And NEVER try to force them to change their minds, or go against their better judgement. It'll be a disaster.

Devlin said:

Really, your best bet is to stop nagging the kids. It's not going to make 'em do their homework. Trust me.

I wish I could agree with you here as it would make my life easier.

However, I believe I need to communicate to them what they are doing and how it will affect them in the future. My 13 yr old daughter needs good grades to get into the high school of her choice (a tech school of sorts) and my 14 yr old son should really continue on with a college education. I see him in business management and he said he wants to be a CEO. At their ages, do they really know what is good for them?

carrieluvv said:

I help my 11 yr old with her homework....like if she has a hard time locating a certain city on a map we look for it together...she usually finds it first!
with my 14 yr old i try and help her in the government stuff....the launguage its written in isnt user friendly
my husband has to help her with the math.

sometimes i help my sr. memorize his honors english stuff like shakespere and othello by buying him a tape recorder...

the math ///fuhgeddaboudded

i think kids need to be taught that while it can be a challenge
they dont need to get frustrated and let it keep building up...
they need a can do attitude ...bnut it is a learned attitude ya just dont say that to them and walk off......they have to see it demonstrated by the parent.

The reality is, homework should be demonstrated long before it comes home. I guess it goes to the fundamental question of what is homework for?

Good teachers should not use homework as assessment. Homework should be, in my opinion a suppliment to what is going on in the classroom.

So no, as a teacher, I do not think the child needs to see it from the parent....

and

Yes it is their job to be active learners and pay attnetion and ask for help from the teacher if they are stuck.....it should not be hours and hours of torture for anyone.

Back
Top Bottom