why are we on earth?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm agnostic. So I don't pretend to know. :shrug:

Honestly, I don't think the answers to those questions are knowable. I might wonder about them, but I will never know. And I'm ok with that.

indra said:
I'm agnostic. So I don't pretend to know. :shrug:

Honestly, I don't think the answers to those questions are knowable. I might wonder about them, but I will never know. And I'm ok with that.

Ive been the same as you, dont know the answers, and I ve always been ok with it, but now its time in my life that I get some answers, im sick of waking up everyday, going to work, living my life with no real purpose, i am utterly confused, and I need some answers.

Last edited:
Actually I came to the conclusion I noted in my above post after a similar situation. Nothing purporting to have the answers really worked for me. I found some of the eastern religions/belief systems intrguing, they still didn't quite do it for me. I could never honestly say "this is what I believe."

Re: Re: why are we on earth?

U2DMfan said:
there simply arent any answers.
the only people purporting answers do it on faith.

otherwise there aren't any.

Just because you don't know the answers doesn't mean there aren't any.

Re: Re: Re: why are we on earth?

80sU2isBest said:

And just because you think there are answers (or even that you have them) doesn't mean that there are. This goes both ways.

Personally, I subscribe to the scientific view about where we come from. I don't know what happens after we die and I'm fine with that. What we're doing here is different for each individual I think, I certainly don't know what the hell I'm doing here. :shrug:

Re: Re: Re: why are we on earth?

80sU2isBest said:

hahaha

maybe you should 'pray for forgiveness' for being so self righteous.

and BTW, I think whatever answers you speak of, I've already considered heavily, but go ahead and share them with me, Yahweh.

explain to me how your religous faith gives you real, solid, tangible answers apart from faith itself, and apart from answers that can't be revealed until after you are dead.

I am a man of faith, a spiritual person, far from prefect, but at least I try to get better as an individual. What I believe is that by intelligent design or not, there aren't any answers apart from faith. That is the deal. And I think that your approach is the type of thing driving people away from church moreso every day.

It's the type of arrogance that is disheartening to people looking for answers and seeing a charade built by people who misuse the Bible and teachings of Jesus.

"WE KNOW THE REAL WAY INTO HEAVEN!!!!!"
(insert denomination here) give me a break.
there arent any real answers. Only faith.
the big bang theory is based on faith too.
that's what I mean, we aren't going to know answers until we die.

to make something beautiful out of ugliness; to leave it a bit better than you found it; to create meaning where there is none; to love and be loved.

existential humanist self-empowerment.

Where did we come from? We evolved from a common ancestor of apes. But I was from Dartford

What are we doing here? Well hell is other people so I would say that we are all suffering.

Where do we go when we die? Usually under the ground or incinerated, sometimes frozen solid on a mountain top.

Where did we come from? we evolved from apes, but that's as much as i know. i'm not sure about the origin of the universe and all. :wink:

What are we doing here? i wonder that sometimes. be born, reproduce, die, i suppose.

Where do we go when we die? i dont like to think about it. i doubt there's anything after life, but i guess if that's true, we won't know about it. i still hate thinking about it.

Re: Re: Re: Re: why are we on earth?

U2DMfan said:

hahaha

maybe you should 'pray for forgiveness' for being so self righteous.

Eh? I have nothing to ask forgiveness for. If you think I do, will you please outline for me how my statement that "just because you don't know the answers doesn't mean there isn't any" is self righteous? I'd love to see that!

U2DMfan said:
(insert denomination here) give me a break.
there arent any real answers. Only faith.
the big bang theory is based on faith too.
that's what I mean, we aren't going to know answers until we die.

You've just contradicted yourself. First you say "there arent any real answers", then you say "we aren't going to know answers until we die". Which is it?

If it's the latter, "we aren't going to know answers until we die", how can you blast me for saying "just because you don't know teh answers doesn't mean there aren't any?"

I think I just discovered the answer.

It's in the bottom of my beer glass...somewhere...

But VertigoGal's answer pretty much sums up what I think.

No the Big Bang theory is not based on faith! it is based on observation and inference. We observe the red shift of objects in the universe and infer that it is caused by the expansion of the universe stretching the electromagnetic waves in a manner proportional to the distance travelled; most redshift for objects furthest away. This becomes evidence that the universe is expanding outwards which if we go backwards means that it all began at one point; the big bang.

It is a simple brushover on it but that is the jist of how it is not "based on faith".

Also for the record the Big Bang theory can be proven wrong if new evidence contradicts it, this is what seperates science from faith, you can disprove a scientific theory and come up with one that better explains what is observed allowing progression of understanding.

Last edited:
Re: Re: why are we on earth?

VertigoGal said:
Where did we come from? we evolved from apes, but that's as much as i know. i'm not sure about the origin of the universe and all. :wink:

What are we doing here? i wonder that sometimes. be born, reproduce, die, i suppose.

Where do we go when we die? i dont like to think about it. i doubt there's anything after life, but i guess if that's true, we won't know about it. i still hate thinking about it.
:sad:

:hug:

1) Where did we come from?

Nucleotides that became DNA that became single-celled organisms and viruses. Then throw in 5 billion years of mutation.

2) What are we doing here?

There's probably countless number of "seed worlds" (as I like to call it) in the universe. Only a small percentage, likely, will be fortunate enough to have favorable conditions for life. I see Titan as a "seed world," but it was too far away to germinate.

3) Where do we go when we die?

We can only hope for the best.

Melon

And before this turns into a science versus religion argument, some religions view science as fully compatible with faith, because science can never answer the question of the absolute origin. That is, you could pinpoint the start of the Big Bang, but you'll never explain where it came from, which you could very well attribute to God. And even if the Big Bang that created our universe was nothing more than part of an infinite series of universes within a multiverse, then no one will ever be able to explain the origin of the multiverse.

In other words, the only people looking for conflict between science and religion are those who want there to be a conflict. Period.

Melon

I don't care because religion is irrelevent to science but science becomes the bane of many religious beliefs from which the absurd war on "secular materialism" starts and goes against anything deemed to be morally wrong or cannot be reconciled with belief: things like stem cell research or evolutionary biology, but with varying degrees of opposition across varying viewpoints.

I think that it is overly simplistic to say that we can never, ever possibly have all the answers and I say this in a millions of years of sentient exploration type of way not a ten years from now grand unfied theory way. We don't know the limits of exploration and there is only one way to ever find out.

I am differing here because you think that we will hit the wall in any quest of understanding, I think that it could be infinite.

Last edited:
from a christian perspective, I believe theres a higher power that put us here no matter how that came about
I believe that the genesis story could just be a simple version of a complex process that we just wouldnt understand...or something like that :shrug:
Im definitely not joined at the hip to the 7 day theory :wink:
I think we're here because somebody (god..whoever your somebody is) decided to create us. Kind of like when I decide to create something artistically. it comes from my mind and heart and it pleases me...um if it comes out the way I want it to. lol
where are we going?
Dunno. Thats a mystery to me.

thefly2333 said:
Where did we come from?
What are we doing here?
Where do we go when we die?

1) the womb

2) rooting for the Red Sox to win the World Series

3) Hall of Fame

thefly2333 said:
Where did we come from?
What are we doing here?
Where do we go when we die?

this is just some basic bible teachings I have learned and believe answer your questions, there is quite a bit more to the why's and wherefores of my answers but it would take forever to explain them

1. we come from the dust from the ground from which God formed us

2. we are here as caretakers of this planet to take care of it and the animals and to have a loving purposeful relationship with our fellow human beings and with God our Creator,

although this is not the state of things now this was how it was meant to be in the beginning and it is the way things are going to turn out, not by mans hands but by God's

3. We return to the dust (death is the opposite to life.. from existence to non existence)

but that was never meant to be and why death is such a terrible experience we dread, that none of us want to think about and why we feel such loss,

despite what many religions and people say or teach, death is not natural it is actually an enemy of God and will one day be done away with.. something God has promised and many of those who have died are just in a deep sleep which God will one day wake them up from and we can be reunited with those loved ones we have lost in death

Then We can all one day live on this planet where there will be no more starvation, no one sick, no one dying. no pollution or natural disasters or wars to take away lives.

Everyone living with each other in peace even with the animals and our lives will be meaningful and satisfied and happy which was and is our purpose in life and how it was meant to be and why we get very little satisfaction from our lives now

That is why the bible message is proclaimed to be good news and God wants everyone to know about it because he know we find ourselves asking the three questions you quoted and he has no desire for us to live in ignorance.. as the bible writer wrote.. seek and you will find:)

Back
Top Bottom